Nebraska Post-Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

When he played within himself he was great. However he is quickly becoming Justin Smith liability out there at the 3pt line. Nebraska was 10 feet off him daring him to shoot. It was more a couple ill advised shots more than anything. Instead of trying to get it to Trayce and when Nebraska was making a run he took a few. When he drove he was great. Just none of his 3pt shots had even 1% chance of going in. I mean they weren’t even close. Honestly even a couple of his drives Nebraska gifted him on broken defense. Hard to explain you will just have to watch. Look he is a freshman and he played fine...it’s just stats don’t tell the whole story.

I think they need to come up with a wrinkle in response to the fact that teams sag off of Galloway and Race...maybe something like a quick reversal and a pin screen for TJD if they get the ball at the top of the key and their man is sagging off...

I'd also love to see our staff slide TJD up the lane when he is being doubled like that...opening up the baseline for cuts to the rim would add a wrinkle to how we make teams pay for doubling so much

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We are in a 4 way tie for 5th

A very real argument could be made that we are only a few more positive plays from being undefeated in the BIG with wins at Wisconsin and Illinois...we had a working lead late in the game against Northwestern despite sleep walking though the first half...we played great against Illinois but couldn't get it done in the last two or three minutes, and TJD had a point blank layup to win it in regulation against Wisconsin (and twice we had two possession leads with only a few possessions left in regulation and the first OT)...

Archie needs to find a way to have a few more of those go his way...

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

A coach can teach skills and build them up but he can’t teach intensity and killer instinct. When he has to call timeouts just because players got lackadaisical that shouldn’t ever happen. You should realize this is the Big Ten and scouts are always watching. When you go to school on a full ride isn’t the goal hopefully NBA? Well if I don’t bring it every game it’s going to be noted on my scouting report and if you’re on the verge of being drafted or not then that could be the tiebreaker. STOP BLAMING ARCHIE PEOPLE.

Almost every team in the history of sports has had times they need a coach to dial up the intensity. I don't think that's a blame the players or a blame Archie, it's just a reality, but props to Archie for doing what he could to navigate it IMO. 

He used his timeouts earlier than he often does and I think it made a difference. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Almost every team in the history of sports has had times they need a coach to dial up the intensity. I don't think that's a blame the players or a blame Archie, it's just a reality, but props to Archie for doing what he could to navigate it IMO. 

He used his timeouts earlier than he often does and I think it made a difference. 

Seriously. Watch what Underwood did when Illinois was down 15 to Northwestern. He lit those guys up and they responded. Sometimes you need a coach to help with the intensity and focus on the court. 

16 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Seriously. Watch what Underwood did when Illinois was down 15 to Northwestern. He lit those guys up and they responded. Sometimes you need a coach to help with the intensity and focus on the court. 

I'm not ready to call him a prophet or anything but Archie has shown me he has the ability to man-manage pretty well.  He called out Al and Rob and both have (IMO) responded by increasing their play, at times rather dramatically.

He has the ability to push the right buttons to get these guys to be better.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm not ready to call him a prophet or anything but Archie has shown me he has the ability to man-manage pretty well.  He called out Al and Rob and both have (IMO) responded by increasing their play, at times rather dramatically.

He has the ability to push the right buttons to get these guys to be better.  

I wonder why it took until year 4, though. And why did they only respond after being called out publicly? I'm sure we didn't hear anything that hasn't been said a thousand times privately and/or in practice. I'm glad the upperclassmen have responded and are playing well, however. 

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t disagree but so many people complain non stop about Archie and I’m just sick and tired of it. I feel like most of the people that complain have never coached basketball. 

3 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I think switching defenses once or twice can be so effective...like throwing an off speed pitch...might have helped rob some of their perimeter players of their attacking mindset in the second half.

Absolutely.  In the middle of a Nebraska run, throw em a curveball to break the momentum.  I hate being absolutely married to a defense...and I hate seeing a complete 💩 team make a huge run against what should be a far superior team.

Never let them think they have a chance.  I don't understand why these kids think they can coast when they get a lead...STEP ON THEIR NECKS!!!

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Absolutely.  In the middle of a Nebraska run, throw em a curveball to break the momentum.  I hate being absolutely married to a defense...and I hate seeing a complete 💩 team make a huge run against what should be a far superior team.

Never let them think they have a chance.  I don't understand why these kids think they can coast when they get a lead...STEP ON THEIR NECKS!!!

Well, were they really coasting?  I agree it may look that way, however there is another reason.  Late in the first half things changed.  Phin stopped. Why? Well, he twisted his ankle.  TJD began to lose a little getting back on defense. Nebraska went to the 5 out offense.  The whole game Nebraska did a decent job on TJD by doubling.

The pack line does not extend well to defend the 5 out.  The inside is open.  Indiana got cut up by that drive from outside.  

So to me, it looked like two things.  On offense we stopped clicking because something changed with our PG.  On defense the pack line failed to extend when a 1 on 1 might have been better or a zone. 

But IU did win.  And IU is shooting threes again. Solve the issue with the PG making plays in the 2nd half and stop the 5 out and Indiana can compete with the top in the B1G.

7 hours ago, WI_Hoosier said:

I knew he'd had a difficult upbringing...and I feel for the kid...

But there comes a time when people are giving you chance after chance that you have to change your behavior...what he did to our players last night could have gotten one of them seriously injured or ruined a career...

I think Fred Hoiberg is a good coach and a good man. He stopped Allen after he took him out at the end and talked to him. I hope he can get through to the kid, but the kid has to want to help himself...

The chances eventually run out...

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But there comes a time when people are giving you chance after chance that you have to change your behavior...what he did to our players last night could have gotten one of them seriously injured or ruined a career...

I think Fred Hoiberg is a good coach and a good man. He stopped Allen after he took him out at the end and talked to him. I hope he can get through to the kid, but the kid has to want to help himself...

Did I miss something, or are you just talking about the play at the end where he made a lazy swipe at the ball?

2 hours ago, Air Ball said:

Well, were they really coasting?  I agree it may look that way, however there is another reason.  Late in the first half things changed.  Phin stopped. Why? Well, he twisted his ankle.  TJD began to lose a little getting back on defense. Nebraska went to the 5 out offense.  The whole game Nebraska did a decent job on TJD by doubling.

The pack line does not extend well to defend the 5 out.  The inside is open.  Indiana got cut up by that drive from outside.  

So to me, it looked like two things.  On offense we stopped clicking because something changed with our PG.  On defense the pack line failed to extend when a 1 on 1 might have been better or a zone. 

But IU did win.  And IU is shooting threes again. Solve the issue with the PG making plays in the 2nd half and stop the 5 out and Indiana can compete with the top in the B1G.

We definitely struggle with the 5 out offense (sometimes really a 4-out). Teams keep implementing it against us now and we repeatedly struggle against it as it spreads out our now fairly predictable pack line D. Actions on both sides, further spaces the floor, exposes lanes. We’re a top 15 D - overall we’re very good defensively, but that’s started to slide in B1G play, and each time we struggle with a spread out offense it’s right there on film for the next game. So how we adjust to that is something to watch. 

29 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Did I miss something, or are you just talking about the play at the end where he made a lazy swipe at the ball?

He had 3 different plays that were simply dirty plays...I understand he was frustrated, but he'll eventually hurt somebody with that kind of play...

And the "lazy swipe" almost hit Al in the face...Shon Morris even commented on it...

Go to 24:53 in the video...tell me that's a "lazy swipe."

24 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Well, I guess a few of us did see that foul as something different than "...a lazy swipe..." at the ball.  

I saw just a slight bit difference.  It was both a lazy foul and a likely intential hit to the head by a frustrated player.  It appeared that the Nebraska coach also probably had the latter interpretation.   

10 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

Well, I guess a few of us did see that foul as something different than "...a lazy swipe..." at the ball.  

I saw just a slight bit difference.  It was both a lazy foul and a likely intential hit to the head by a frustrated player.  It appeared that the Nebraska coach also probably had the latter interpretation.   

He may or may not have tried to trip TJD towards the end of the game after TJD blocked his shot.  It looked to me he tried to trip but I’m obviously biased and the kids reputation was in my head a little bit.  It could’ve been an awkward fall and like I said, if not for his reputation I probably wouldn’t have thought twice about it.

Here my two cents! Durham missed two free throws with 4:00 minutes and a tied game. With 3:00 to go we’re up by 3 and the ball. TJD hits two free throws to put us up 5. Good shot by Race but up a brick from 12 ft. Could have put us up by 5 again. . Nebraska comes down an hits a quick 3 now it down to 2 point game with 2:00 minutes to play. Hunter makes a good play by following his missed shot for an easy layup big play. 
Rob misses a layup at one minute to play giving Nebraska another chance to cut it to 2 again. 
Sorry but my point is the players had every opportunity to put this game totally out of reach in the last 4:00. TJD hitting his free throws  won this game for us. Archie can’t do more then he did. The players need to perform to put games away. 
Archie is doing his job! 

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He may or may not have tried to trip TJD towards the end of the game after TJD blocked his shot.  It looked to me he tried to trip but I’m obviously biased and the kids reputation was in my head a little bit.  It could’ve been an awkward fall and like I said, if not for his reputation I probably wouldn’t have thought twice about it.

Go to the 23:25 mark of the video I posted and judge for yourself...He swings his left leg intentionally trying to trip Trayce...

Comments from a Nebraska board, have to either sit back and think about whether they are agreeable, or laughable...sometimes I like going to opposing boards only after a game (depending on the team) to see if they comment on what people on here have issues with or not. Interesting to see point of views from people who can’t be biased about our team. 

- “that’s a mediocre IU team. They have one of the worst offenses in the conference. 

- “Archie dodged a bullet. Lose to us and an already questioning fan base goes nuts.”

- “I think we’re about as good as Indiana talent wise.” 

- “Indiana is going to finish near the bottom of the conference this year so finding out who we can beat is going to be a challenge.”

23 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Are we talking about when the kid swiped at Trayce pretty aggressively, clearly losing is footing on his left foot, falling down and sweeping Trayce down at the same time, then jumping up and standing over Trayce for a second before 2-3 of his teammates gathered him away?  

I encourage everyone to watch again.  I get the kid has history.  Maybe borderline dirty.  He has a mean/angry streak, I sympathize because I do too.  It took me until I was 25 years old before I ever became aware enough to be embarrassed about my public outbursts.  When you watch the replay, watch his left foot.  He pretty clearly loses footing, causing the fall, causing him to essentially sweep Trayce.  The swipe was almost flagrant.  The sweep was imo accidental.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Agreed. I just thought it was an interesting article on the kid. It also shows that sometimes there is underlining issues beside someone just being a punk.

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I went back and looked at the 3 BS plays Teddy Allen made...the kick toward Leal's legs on the 3, the rough foul and the leg scissor on TJD, and the ball punch that almost caught Al in the face...

I think the B1G should do something about that. He's gonna hurt someone bad...

It's a shame, because he does have some talent...

Allan is a thug. He’s lucky TJD is a nice kid. 

Archived