Nebraska Post-Game Thread

KDB

Just watched the highlights posted above and in the first 2-3 possessions TJD sets a high ball screen for Durham. Then TJD rolls as expected and is pretty much wide open and Al is dribbling off into never never land.

The whole point of the ball screen is to create an open shot for the screener. And oh, by the way Al, TJD is our best player.

Archie should "remind" Al of this. We lost 4+ points on those 2 possessions alone.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the last 5 minutes again on Fox sports go app. The Allan kid swiped aggressively at the ball and had a pretty good hand on the ball, while clearly drapping Trayce's arm and shoulder, he loses footing in his left foot, as Shon Morris points out.  This all happens at 45 seconds.  Then at 8 seconds, Al gets a rebound and Allan swipes really hard and hits Al.  He did hit the ball but considering what had just transpired 30 seconds earlier, the refs should have given him the flagrant 1.  Hoiberg does the right thing, subs him out and says something to him.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Are we talking about when the kid swiped at Trayce pretty aggressively, clearly losing is footing on his left foot, falling down and sweeping Trayce down at the same time, then jumping up and standing over Trayce for a second before 2-3 of his teammates gathered him away?  

I encourage everyone to watch again.  I get the kid has history.  Maybe borderline dirty.  He has a mean/angry streak, I sympathize because I do too.  It took me until I was 25 years old before I ever became aware enough to be embarrassed about my public outbursts.  When you watch the replay, watch his left foot.  He pretty clearly loses footing, causing the fall, causing him to essentially sweep Trayce.  The swipe was almost flagrant.  The sweep was imo accidental.  

I tend to agree.  The first was an "Oh $#!t, where'd the floor go!?"  The second was a busch league temper tantrum.

The sweep was imo accidental.  

Did you watch the replay from the baseline camera? He swings his left leg hard to make Trayce trip over his right leg...

He definitely has a temper issue...And one of these days, whether it be in basketball or on the street, he'll regret displaying it...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Did you watch the replay from the baseline camera? He swings his left leg hard to make Trayce trip over his right leg...

He definitely has a temper issue...And one of these days, whether it be in basketball or on the street, he'll regret displaying it...

This was how I saw it at the time. I did not re-watch the replays today though. 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Huh.  Yes that's what I just said.  I just rewatched it like 9 times on the Fox sports go app.  With like 45 seconds to play.  I'm repeating myself because that's what I just said a few posts above.  

I guess what's the question?  Should that foul he committed on Trayce should have been a flagrant.  Imo no.  Should the second one on Al in context of the first been a flagrant?  Imo yes.  

Yes I'm repeating myself again because I just said that in the post above as well.  

Do you think both should have been flagrant?  I guess what's the question/argument?

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Huh.  Yes that's what I just said.  I just rewatched it like 9 times on the Fox sports go app.  With like 45 seconds to play.  I'm repeating myself because that's what I just said a few posts above.  

I guess what's the question?  Should that foul he committed on Trayce should have been a flagrant.  Imo no.  Should the second one on Al in context of the first been a flagrant?  Imo yes.  

Yes I'm repeating myself again because I just said that in the post above as well.  

Do you think both should have been flagrant?  I guess what's the question/argument?

You said you thought the sweep was accidental...

I don't, and if I was the ref he'd have gotten a flagrant...

All it would take is TJD's ankle or knee to get twisted on the fall or hurt his hand/wrist trying to break his fall...

We've had enough injuries without an opposing player intentionally doing something that could get our kids hurt...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I see an aggressive and frustrated play where his left foot clearly loses footing while all his momentum tumbles.  Wouldn't it be his right foot doing the leg sweep anyways?  

It wasn't called a flagrant after review because he goes after the ball and gets a ton of it and the fact that his left foot clearly didn't plant and loses footing and his left leg lift barely even made contact with Trayce and wasn't even the reason Trayce fell. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You said you thought the sweep was accidental...

I don't, and if I was the ref and I thought it was intentional, he'd have gotten a flagrant...

All it would take is TJD's ankle or knee to get twisted on the fall or hurt his hand/wrist trying to break his fall...

We've had enough injuries without an opposing player intentionally doing something that could get our kids hurt...

So you think his left foot caused Trayce to fall?  

To each his own.  

I think it's a combination of many things.  A large man drapped and falling.  The kid does have a ton of ball.  The kids foot clearly didn't plant(can you argue that? No).  And to go along with Trayce was turning and in a weird stance to begin with.  

I've said all that can be said.  I'm not going to argue for days like has been a trend on here.  

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So you think his left foot caused Trayce to fall?  

To each his own.  

I think it's a combination of many things.  A large man drapped and falling.  The kid does have a ton of ball.  The kids foot clearly didn't plant(can you argue that? No).  And to go along with Trayce was turning and in a weird stance to begin with.  

I've said all that can be said.  I'm not going to argue for days like has been a trend on here.  

Yes, I do...

But, as you said, it's cool...we just see it different ways...

What some people fail to understand is that was IU’s third game of the week. 2nd straight road game were the team didn’t even go home and stayed on the road after a extremely hard fought double OT game. Nebraska was very well rested and ready to go. TJD was gassed, Rob was about 80 percent in the second half, and we still didn’t have our second best player. I’ll take that win every time. The team was exhausted in the second half. Sometimes it just about surviving given the circumstances. It’s a lot about when and where you play someone. Your not going to play your best or have your best guys every game. It’s about learning how to survive and win ugly sometimes. 

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

I tend to agree.  The first was an "Oh $#!t, where'd the floor go!?"  The second was a busch league temper tantrum.

Exactly. 

And I've seen some folks talk about his offensive foul; I don't see how that's any different than a flop on defense. It's a guy trying to draw contact. It's not a dirty play. 

18 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

What some people fail to understand is that was IU’s third game of the week. 2nd straight road game were the team didn’t even go home and stayed on the road after a extremely hard fought double OT game. Nebraska was very well rested and ready to go. TJD was gassed, Rob was about 80 percent in the second half, and we still didn’t have our second best player. I’ll take that win every time. The team was exhausted in the second half. Sometimes it just about surviving given the circumstances. It’s a lot about when and where you play someone. Your not going to play your best or have your best guys every game. It’s about learning how to survive and win ugly sometimes. 

Sorry, but if you were a real fan you would be irate that we *checks notes* covered the spread and *checks notes again* were missing our second best player and got a sub par effort from our best player. 

19 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

You're right. I missed that part last night when watching it. It still looks like he legitimately lost his footing (because he jumped too far, too aggressively) but after he starts to fall it appears he intentionally swings his leg around.

He has probably had ballet at some point, that or spent most of his life playing soccer with that much lower leg control while falling to the ground.  I'm guessing it was the ballet as a child.:coffee:

The B1G and refs would be wise to send him a message before his anger does get someone hurt though.  I respect Hoiberg for trying to help get through to him and wish him luck.  

He has probably had ballet at some point, that or spent most of his life playing soccer with that much lower leg control while falling to the ground.  I'm guessing it was the ballet as a child.:coffee:

The B1G and refs would be wise to send him a message before his anger does get someone hurt though.  I respect Hoiberg for trying to help get through to him and wish him luck.  

Watching it again, it looks intentional.

I am not saying that the refs should have given him a flagrant foul at the time (benefit of the doubt and all), but I think the way he played the rest of the game suggests he was not in control. Given this a posteriori information, I would say it is more than reasonable to conclude that the last part of the leg pinching was intentional. 

When things like that (falling etc.) things slow down and you have more control of your body than it might seem. And I am not exactly "ballet" material - I am agile like slug crossing a salt pile. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

One thing I've noticed about TJD...When he blocks a shot, he doesn't do the He-Man swat out of bounds...He keeps it in play so either he or a teammate can get it...

The Great Bill Russell did the same thing...

He's got some shot blocking ability that the scouts are probably liking.  His long arms have to help.  

15 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Watching it again, it looks intentional.

I am not saying that the refs should have given him a flagrant foul at the time (benefit of the doubt and all), but I think the way he played the rest of the game suggests he was not in control. Given this a posteriori information, I would say it is more than reasonable to conclude that the last part of the leg pinching was intentional. 

When things like that (falling etc.) things slow down and you have more control of your body than it might seem. And I am not exactly "ballet" material - I am agile like slug crossing a salt pile. 

And that's why I said I was in favor of the t or flagrant on the Al foul.  One single isolated event, hard to say but do it twice in 40 seconds, flagrant.  Now I want to watch again to see if the refs gave any indication to Hoiberg like you better get him out because we don't want to end this game with flagrant foul shots and the ball.  

Seeing Phin and durham hit 3's is good. Al has been up ad down but Phin has been mostly down.  I know it was predominantly early but the 3 point game continues to improve.  While Leal and Hunter did not shoot a great .pct they seem to be the best shooters from 3. If Phin and al start knocking them down fairly consistently it bodes well.  Defense will have to worry about 4 players.   I saw a couple of possessions where Nebraska extended their defense out to the arc and there was a lot a spce for THJ to operate. IU didn't capitalize or get the ball to him.  I think Hoiberg may have reigned/packed it back in hoping IU could not keep it up and he was right. 

The meltdown is frustrating but gives Archie teaching moments to keep the guys focused. A big blowout might get them feeling to good though no matter what happened in the prior game they should get up for the next game. That said, wish could they handle their success in a game.  Seems they have to be backed up against a wall to get untracked.

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Exactly. 

And I've seen some folks talk about his offensive foul; I don't see how that's any different than a flop on defense. It's a guy trying to draw contact. It's not a dirty play. 

If what he did on offense is dirty, then Reggie Miller is the dirtiest player to EVER play the game.

Archived