Gym/fitness pet peeves

TheWatShot

Anyone else go to a gym, if for no other reason than to convince yourself you care about your body? 

Well, it's that time of year again, when scores of new and returning members start filling the place up thanks to their deluded New Years' resolutions. And my gym has had some real winners lately. Here's a couple things that have me in a fouler mood than usual at the gym: 

People who do circuit workouts, tying up a bench press, an incline press, a set of dumbbells and the delt/pectoral fly machine for a good 20-30 minutes. 

People who scream while they lift. 

The elderly dude who asks me if I've heard about the latest deep state conspiracy theory. 

Let's hear your stories about people you wish were allergic to exercising. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Anyone else go to a gym, if for no other reason than to convince yourself you care about your body? 

Well, it's that time of year again, when scores of new and returning members start filling the place up thanks to their deluded New Years' resolutions. And my gym has had some real winners lately. Here's a couple things that have me in a fouler mood than usual at the gym: 

People who do circuit workouts, tying up a bench press, an incline press, a set of dumbbells and the delt/pectoral fly machine for a good 20-30 minutes. 

People who scream while they lift. 

The elderly dude who asks me if I've heard about the latest deep state conspiracy theory. 

Let's hear your stories about people you wish were allergic to exercising. 

All the people that have better bodies than me!

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Back when I lived in Chicagoland, I went to an Anytime Fitness every morning at 4:30. There were regulars there, about 10-12 of them. One guy would drape towels over 4 or 5 machines and expect to tie them up. I told him his time was no more important than mine, and when I wanted to use a machine he had "claimed" I just dropped the towel on the floor and did my thing.

He got the message...we actually became friends later on...

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Poll.  

When re racking the plates.  Do you put the smooth side in and numbers out or smooth side out/numbers in?

Having this debate at the firehouse.  One guy claiming he was taught one way by old meatheads.  I am claiming I was taught the other way by old meatheads.  

Doesn't matter to me. It all weighs the same. 

I'm numbers out just for gription when loading/unloading.  

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Poll.  

When re racking the plates.  Do you put the smooth side in and numbers out or smooth side out/numbers in?

Having this debate at the firehouse.  One guy claiming he was taught one way by old meatheads.  I am claiming I was taught the other way by old meatheads.  

My biggest pet peeve with this is lack of organization.  I dont want to dig through weights to get the size I need. Each one has their place.

When I was in high school we had a decent garage gym. So I welded together a weight rack with a peg for each set from 2.5 to 45. Keep it organized.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Poll.  

Smooth side facing in/numbers facing out.  Please, for my sanity, tell me your co-worker is the one who is wrong here...

My neighborhood has a gym so this isn't officially a gym related pet peeve but here's my complaint. Anyone who watches home rebuild shows while working out....or the person that has control of the remote watches CSPAN on mute. 

In a prior life when I belonged to gyms my biggest peeve was grunt guy followed by get up and walk around guy like it's game 7 bottom of the 9th entering the box. No bro. It's just weights. 

Incessant talking and hogging that station/machine/bench. It’s not a social hour. Get in there, get your shit done, and get out. I stopped going to the gym b/c of this. Too much chatting and strutting around in front of the mirrors. 

I have a couple sets of dumbbells and a big medicine ball in our Peloton closet. 

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My neighborhood has a gym so this isn't officially a gym related pet peeve but here's my complaint. Anyone who watches home rebuild shows while working out....or the person that has control of the remote watches CSPAN on mute. 

In a prior life when I belonged to gyms my biggest peeve was grunt guy followed by get up and walk around guy like it's game 7 bottom of the 9th entering the box. No bro. It's just weights. 

Lol cspan on mute

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Incessant talking and hogging that station/machine/bench. It’s not a social hour. Get in there, get your shit done, and get out. I stopped going to the gym b/c of this. Too much chatting and strutting around in front of the mirrors. 

I have a couple sets of dumbbells and a big medicine ball in our Peloton closet. 

I always liked the guy that would load up the bar on the bench press with waaay more than he can lift, and then asks you to spot him just so you'll be impressed...

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That's funny because in my 20s I went to the gym for the social aspect as well.  It lessened in my 30s as life priorities and time restraints built up.  Yesterday I was in the gym at the firehouse for 3 hours, worked out for about an hour, caught a run or 2 but mostly just talked with my buddy.  

Haven't had time to ability to go to a public gym in 3 years.  Wife and I are on day 3 of the Insanity 30 min max program.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's funny because in my 20s I went to the gym for the social aspect as well.  It lessened in my 30s as life priorities and time restraints built up.  Yesterday I was in the gym at the firehouse for 3 hours, worked out for about an hour, caught a run or 2 but mostly just talked with my buddy.  

Haven't had time to ability to go to a public gym in 3 years.  Wife and I are on day 3 of the Insanity 30 min max program.  

Yeah, I think it shows my age, that this is my pet peeve. I’m much more into at home workouts - good luck on the insanity program!

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Military gyms were always the best...Always nice equipment and no one under 18 allowed...The rules were posted, and if you didn't follow them, someone would remind you...and you never talked back, because no one wore their rank on their gym clothes :D 

The combo of the gym and the mess hall, where you could load up massive breakfasts, was awesome. 

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

The combo of the gym and the mess hall, where you could load up massive breakfasts, was awesome. 

I don't know if this is military wide, but I always loved the biscuits and gravy the chow hall served...They always had to ram the ladle through that coagulated layer on top of the gravy, but it was damn good!

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know if this is military wide, but I always loved the biscuits and gravy the chow hall served...They always had to ram the ladle through that coagulated layer on top of the gravy, but it was damn good!

The Navy hospital I worked at in Charleston had incredible breakfasts. Just the best. We would load up on proteins and carbs and work out all the time. 

Bad form drives me crazy. There was this guy at the gym who always wore this shirt that said "Alpha as F***" and grunted a whole heck of a lot. 

It's like: Bruh, I like that you can curl 100 lbs, but you're not fully extending your arm and you're swing the weight up with your back. 
Or: Bruh, your 300 lb squat is not that impressive if you're only squatting down 6 inches. 
Or: Bruh, I always thought that Alpha's were confident enough to not wear a shirt advertising their so called Alpha-ness. 

Also, don't get me started on the crop dusters or people who have yet to discover deodorant. 

All that said, I got a set of dumbbells and now work out in my basement. It saves me a whole bunch of time. 

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Bad form drives me crazy. There was this guy at the gym who always wore this shirt that said "Alpha as F***" and grunted a whole heck of a lot. 

It's like: Bruh, I like that you can curl 100 lbs, but you're not fully extending your arm and you're swing the weight up with your back. 
Or: Bruh, your 300 lb squat is not that impressive if you're only squatting down 6 inches. 
Or: Bruh, I always thought that Alpha's were confident enough to not wear a shirt advertising their so called Alpha-ness. 

Also, don't get me started on the crop dusters or people who have yet to discover deodorant. 

All that said, I got a set of dumbbells and now work out in my basement. It saves me a whole bunch of time. 

I changed on March 11th last year. Haven't been back to my gym since. 6 miles on the Monon every day and push/sit ups. Worked for Herschel Walker. Can work for me during these times.

25 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Oh god, that horrible jerking form that allows people to curl like four times as much as they should using strict form. 

Archived