Purdue pregame 1/14 7:00 pm ET FS1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be a tough game like it always is. It’s a game we can win. But we are still missing AF.

Think we’ll see Hunter and Leal help space the floor but two things offensively I’m looking for that i think could be the difference with the anticipated double teams on TJD — Race playing aggressively to score inside and some actions run for Galloway inside — baseline etc. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Going to be a tough game like it always is. It’s a game we can win. But we are still missing AF.

Think we’ll see Hunter and Leal help space the floor but two things offensively I’m looking for that i think could be the difference with the anticipated double teams on TJD — Race playing aggressively to score inside and some actions run for Galloway inside — baseline etc. 

Not sure but Don Fischer just said that AF he believes will play but will ask CAM directly tonight.

Guys like Leal and Galloway oughta be excited and driven to play in this game and get a win. They know exactly what it means. I know we have others that know, but unfortunately haven’t been able to show that complete killer instinct yet against them the last few years. I’m feeling way better about it this year as opposed to last. We have shown we don’t fold nearly as easy this year when faced with adversity...but I’m hoping we don’t even have to worry about that and beat them by 20. 

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If there was ever a game our guys should come out fired up and ready to roll for, it's this one.  It's a game we should win at home against our arch rival.  

I want to see a battle of culture and future branding take place here.  Like we punch you in the mouth with your own "play hard" and "hustle" bullcrap that should be such a given for any school in the state of Indiana.  So here's to punching them in the mouth and then mauling them while they are down.  Statement game.  Complete game.  End to end.  No jogging back on defense.  If northwestern and Notre Dame can only hit 2 fields goals in a half, then we can inflict the same pain upon our little sisters Purdue.  

I'd like to see Trey bring the ball up, hand off to Phinisee (we pick up 5 seconds on the clock), and then Leal, Race & TJD round out the line up. 

We'd have at least 3 guys that would hustle. (Race being the 3rd)

Ain't gonna happen, but that's what I'd like to see.

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I want to see a battle of culture and future branding take place here.  Like we punch you in the mouth with your own "play hard" and "hustle" bullcrap that should be such a given for any school in the state of Indiana.  So here's to punching them in the mouth and then mauling them while they are down.  Statement game.  Complete game.  End to end.  No jogging back on defense.  If northwestern and Notre Dame can only hit 2 fields goals in a half, then we can inflict the same pain upon our little sisters Purdue.  

This right here...

The last few games we've played PU, we just simply have not matched their intensity and "want it."

I know our schedule is very tough moving forward but I think some are overrating some teams.  I look at the standings an only 4 teams has lost less games than we have.  There are 3 teams with 3 losses like we have and that means 6 teams with more losses than we have.  We have already played two of the top 4 teams and took UW to 2 OT and lost at UI and was leading deep into the second half.  So why are we scared about playing any team in the league and think we can't beat them.  I think in this league we can beat anyone but can lose to anyone as well. To me teams 5-13 are so close and pretty much all are good but not great teams.  So why can't we go into any of  those games with confidence that we can win.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know our schedule is very tough moving forward but I think some are overrating some teams.  I look at the standings an only 4 teams has lost less games than we have.  There are 3 teams with 3 losses like we have and that means 6 teams with more losses than we have.  We have already played two of the top 4 teams and took UW to 2 OT and lost at UI and was leading deep into the second half.  So why are we scared about playing any team in the league and think we can't beat them.  I think in this league we can beat anyone but can lose to anyone as well. To me teams 5-13 are so close and pretty much all are god but not great teams.  So why can't we go into any of  those games with confidence that we can win.

We can beat any team in the conference.  Conversely, we can lose to any team in the conference.  We need a little winning streak, the next two would be nice. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know our schedule is very tough moving forward but I think some are overrating some teams.  I look at the standings an only 4 teams has lost less games than we have.  There are 3 teams with 3 losses like we have and that means 6 teams with more losses than we have.  We have already played two of the top 4 teams and took UW to 2 OT and lost at UI and was leading deep into the second half.  So why are we scared about playing any team in the league and think we can't beat them.  I think in this league we can beat anyone but can lose to anyone as well. To me teams 5-13 are so close and pretty much all are god but not great teams.  So why can't we go into any of  those games with confidence that we can win.

I agree.....I will just add that we are also equally confident that we could lose. We are trending in the right direction, but just because we are Indiana does not give us some divine right to be great again. It needs to built piece by piece, punctuated with wins like beating PU back into their rightful place as our little brother. 

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know our schedule is very tough moving forward but I think some are overrating some teams.  I look at the standings an only 4 teams has lost less games than we have.  There are 3 teams with 3 losses like we have and that means 6 teams with more losses than we have.  We have already played two of the top 4 teams and took UW to 2 OT and lost at UI and was leading deep into the second half.  So why are we scared about playing any team in the league and think we can't beat them.  I think in this league we can beat anyone but can lose to anyone as well. To me teams 5-13 are so close and pretty much all are good but not great teams.  So why can't we go into any of  those games with confidence that we can win.

It's hard to really take much from the conference standings at this point.

On the one hand, the three teams we've beaten, MD, PSU and Neb, are the 3 teams at the bottom of the conference.

On the other, MD won at Wisconsin and at Illinois, and IU clearly could have beaten both of those teams just going to double OT at Wisc, with the usual terrible one-sided officiating, and being up on Illinois only to lose it at the end. 

Meanwhile PU, Northwestern and OSU are tied with us at 3-3 in conf. 

There's going to be a lot of movement going forward -- but completely agree with you that even without AF, not to mention Brunk, this IU team has shown it's fully capable of beating anyone in conference. 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's hard to really take much from the conference standings at this point.

On the one hand, the three teams we've beaten, MD, PSU and Neb, are the 3 teams at the bottom of the conference.

On the other, MD won at Wisconsin and at Illinois, and IU clearly could have beaten both of those teams just going to double OT at Wisc, with the usual terrible one-sided officiating, and being up on Illinois only to lose it at the end. 

Meanwhile PU, Northwestern and OSU are tied with us at 3-3 in conf. 

There's going to be a lot of movement going forward -- but completely agree with you that even without AF, not to mention Brunk, this IU team has shown it's fully capable of beating anyone in conference. 

What I am saying is everyone makes it sound like all of the teams on our schedule is unbeatable.  The standings show that most of the teams in the league are very capable of losing to anyone.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What I am saying is everyone makes it sound like all of the teams on our schedule is unbeatable.  The standings show that most of the teams in the league are very capable of losing to anyone.

I'm not disagreeing, there are teams that are pretty clearly the best in conf, but the conference as a whole is stacked and just about anyone can get W's against just about anyone.

We have a slew of tough games, but here's a stretch I personally think we're going to rock:

Iowa

NW

OSU

Minn

MSU

Honestly, we could go 5-0 in that stretch. We may have everyone healthy and firing on all cylinders by then, they're all home games, I think we nail NWU next time, Iowa kind of an outlier but defensively suspect, and OSU, MINN and MSU all have their problems.

I think it’s important to realize we could have 0 wins or 6 wins in the big ten and the difference between that is -7, -9, -7 , +2, +8, +8...and in every one of those games in the last 5 mins it was a one- two possession game either way...big ten is tough and we’re probably not as good or bad as we think on each side. We have the talent to be upper half. We also had the bad stretches to be bottom half. And the fact 10 teams should make tournament in field of 64. We need to get to .500 in league play at the end of the season. 

Archived