Article on staying patient on coaches, Shaka, followed by CAM

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Honest question @BGleas... You don't think Franklin was outplaying his ranking and on his way to being one of the better guards in the B1G before his ankle injury? 

Absolutely, I'm super high on Franklin. Might be my favorite player on the team. But to be a consistent Big Ten title contender, you need more than that. You need Franklin next to a Burger Boy point guard. It's not enough to recruit 6 guards ranked 137 in their class and hope one outplays their ranking. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BGleas said:

Absolutely, I'm super high on Franklin. Might be my favorite player on the team. But to be a consistent Big Ten title contender, you need more than that. You need Franklin next to a Burger Boy point guard. It's not enough to recruit 6 guards ranked 137 in their class and hope one outplays their ranking. 

We supposedly have that in Lander...I'm a little more skeptical on him after seeing his play, and I do understand he's in over his head recognizing he's basically a high school senior playing in the toughest conference in college basketball...

But 2 things concern me about him right now...decision making, which can be taken care of through practice and experience, and that shot...I personally don't ever see him being a consistent shooter with that low release and anything but conventional form (and I know there have been guys with funky looking shots that turned out to be good shooters). I see how badly he misses now and can't help but believe that for him to ever shoot in the 35-40% range from 3 that has to be retooled...

If I was Archie, I'd tell him "I'll put you in the game and KEEP you in the game if you don't shoot. Play defense, run the team, and try to penetrate and make plays. First outside shot, you're sitting beside me again." Maybe that could get him use to the speed and flow of the game.

As for Armaan, I'll not belabor the point, but that ankle couldn't have come at a worse time for him or us. I think he winds up being one of those "studs" we're looking for...

I for one think Alford can coach and coach pretty well.  He is still somewhat of a legend in the Midwest. My only draw back is some of the off the court stuff but honestly I think he’s learned his lesson on that part since his Iowa days. Not saying he’s my top choice but I definitely want an IU guy and wouldn’t be completely upset with Alford.  Keith Smart is my top choice of IU guys followed by Fife. And would love the bench filled with IU guys as well.  Again this is just my opinion, and whatever gets the program back where we want it I’m all in on!

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We supposedly have that in Lander...I'm a little more skeptical on him after seeing his play, and I do understand he's in over his head recognizing he's basically a high school senior playing in the toughest conference in college basketball...

But 2 things concern me about him right now...decision making, which can be taken care of through practice and experience, and that shot...I personally don't ever see him being a consistent shooter with that low release and anything but conventional form (and I know there have been guys with funky looking shots that turned out to be good shooters). I see how badly he misses now and can't help but believe that for him to ever shoot in the 35-40% range from 3 that has to be retooled...

If I was Archie, I'd tell him "I'll put you in the game and KEEP you in the game if you don't shoot. Play defense, run the team, and try to penetrate and make plays. First outside shot, you're sitting beside me again." Maybe that could get him use to the speed and flow of the game.

As for Armaan, I'll not belabor the point, but that ankle couldn't have come at a worse time for him or us. I think he winds up being one of those "studs" we're looking for...

This probably won't go over well, and I am certainly by no means writing him off, but I frankly at this point don't really see what everyone else sees with Lander. He's not overly athletic, he doesn't have great size at the guard spot, he's a good passer but otherwise not overly skilled (can't shoot, etc.)

If all of this NBA potential was really there, you'd think we'd at least see flashes of him blowing by someone and getting to the rack with some NBA athleticism. I know his minutes are limited right now, but even in those minutes I don't think I've seen him make a quick move and get to the paint and finish once all season. He's young, I get that, but you'd expect to see some flashes of it. 

I will say, I think all of this might be a good thing because as of now he looks like a 3-4 year player to me. And yes, I realize he is young and could look like a completely different player in two years. I just would think if he was a legit NBA prospect we'd see more concrete flashes of that potential at this point. 

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I for one think Alford can coach and coach pretty well.  He is still somewhat of a legend in the Midwest. My only draw back is some of the off the court stuff but honestly I think he’s learned his lesson on that part since his Iowa days. Not saying he’s my top choice but I definitely want an IU guy and wouldn’t be completely upset with Alford.  Keith Smart is my top choice of IU guys followed by Fife. And would love the bench filled with IU guys as well.  Again this is just my opinion, and whatever gets the program back where we want it I’m all in on!

Alford wouldn't be my first choice but I'm a big believer that certain coaches just fit certain jobs well.  He's an IU legend and knows the B1G and the State of Indiana as well as anyone.   Who's to say he wouldn't have a lot of success here?

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Alford wouldn't be my first choice but I'm a big believer that certain coaches just fit certain jobs well.  He's an IU legend and knows the B1G and the State of Indiana as well as anyone.   Who's to say he wouldn't have a lot of success here?

I can tell you 1 thing for certain he would not be any worse.

33 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t think it has.  I think they are tired of seeing the product on the floor and some would jump at the chance to rebuild it to the program it use to be

Listening to Todd Leary and he has said that a lot of former players are disgusted with what they are seeing on the court.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

This probably won't go over well, and I am certainly by no means writing him off, but I frankly at this point don't really see what everyone else sees with Lander. He's not overly athletic, he doesn't have great size at the guard spot, he's a good passer but otherwise not overly skilled (can't shoot, etc.)

So, I usually always agree with you, but this is one I have to look at differently.

Lander is quick and fast.  He is the only guard that dribbles with his head up and under control.  Lander in "Maui" was quick and pushed ball...Lander today, is robotic and setting up an offense that doesn't score more points than the other team.

Even his shot, it looks so bad now....he is thinking, over thinking and that is coaches fault.  Instead of teaching, they are making their players scared robots.  Painter, opposite.  Best thing Mike Davis dis is when he used the media to tell Hornsby, Fife, Perry -shoot or sit.  

Lander can be the guy.  

16 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Dakich wouldn’t take it.  He’s done coaching.  That came from a personal conversation.  Then again his good buddy is Urban, so......

Edit: quoted wrong person 

Do you honestly believe that?

I personally think Dakich would swim through 50 miles of sewer water to get and interview for the IU job...

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If all of this NBA potential was really there, you'd think we'd at least see flashes of him blowing by someone and getting to the rack with some NBA athleticism. I know his minutes are limited right now, but even in those minutes I don't think I've seen him make a quick move and get to the paint and finish once all season. He's young, I get that, but you'd expect to see some flashes of it. 

I will say, I think all of this might be a good thing because as of now he looks like a 3-4 year player to me. And yes, I realize he is young and could look like a completely different player in two years. I just would think if he was a legit NBA prospect we'd see more concrete flashes of that potential at this point. 

Not that I don't agree, but I'm holding out hope so much on this one.  Had to be a reason he was what #2 or #3 in the 2021 class?  He does look very quick and crafty with passing, etc.  I'm reaching for sure, but for once being optimistic that another year will make all the difference.

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

Not that I don't agree, but I'm holding out hope so much on this one.  Had to be a reason he was what #2 or #3 in the 2021 class?  He does look very quick and crafty with passing, etc.  I'm reaching for sure, but for once being optimistic that another year will make all the difference.

The "experts" miss all the time.

2 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

He does check a lot of boxes. My hesitation is he’s never coached in college and dealt with recruiting. I think he’d need great assistants to help. 

In the podcast he mentioned that is why he didn't get a bigger look when he interviewed for college jobs.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Our ability to take top 50 recruits and make them look like they don’t belong on a basketball court is impressive. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree with this... I know that for most people, myself included, the physical changes and mental maturity during the years 18-22 can be astounding...

I hope it is for Khristian...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with this... I know that for most people, myself included, the physical changes and mental maturity during the years 18-22 can be astounding...

I hope it is for Khristian...

Send that memo to Shawn Kemp and Greg Oden.

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

That is true, but usually not so badly that a guy in the top 3 of his class turns out to be a non factor in his college career.  We certainly are the unlucky ones if that's what we have here.  

He wasn't a top 3 player in his class but was the top PG

Archived