Article on staying patient on coaches, Shaka, followed by CAM

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do you honestly believe that?

I personally think Dakich would swim through 50 miles of sewer water to get and interview for the IU job...

I do, he’s got the perfect job making good money and he can be the coach the day after games on the radio.  Would I be totally shocked if he coached again, no.  I just don’t think it will happen.  I personally would love him as an assistant coach though.  Throw out all the crap you hear on the radio and the man knows basketball and would be a good fit at IU as an assistant. 

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Alford wouldn't be my first choice but I'm a big believer that certain coaches just fit certain jobs well.  He's an IU legend and knows the B1G and the State of Indiana as well as anyone.   Who's to say he wouldn't have a lot of success here?

You summed up my feelings perfectly. Like you, he wouldn’t be my first choice. However if he came here and was successful I can’t say I’d be shocked. 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I do, he’s got the perfect job making good money and he can be the coach the day after games on the radio.  Would I be totally shocked if he coached again, no.  I just don’t think it will happen.  I personally would love him as an assistant coach though.  Throw out all the crap you hear on the radio and the man knows basketball and would be a good fit at IU as an assistant. 

Leary said Dakich can be a dick but all the good coaches are.  He also said Dan was one of the best coaches he ever played for.

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don't think he'd take any other job, but IU?

Yeah, he'd listen...

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

They've played "good basketball".  I've watched " good basketball".

I, too, am disgusted by what I see on the court.

Since I have not seen good basketball lately last night I watched a great game from 1992.  We played at home against PU and beat them 106-65

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Our ability to take top 50 recruits and make them look like they don’t belong on a basketball court is impressive. 

Don't mean to go at you, but blanket statements like this drive me up a wall. 

The majority of IU's top 50 recruits the last 10-12 years have delivered. The issue is we don't get enough of them. 

I'm going 100% off memory, but I'm trying to think of a top 50 recruit the last 12 years that didn't play to his ranking or at least close to it, or if one didn't I'm trying to think of one that it wasn't because of injury?

All I can come up with is Jeremy Hollowell. Creek and Jerome Hunter are because of injuries. 

Everyone else was either close, met or exceeded their ranking. 

Watford, Creek (before injuries), Zeller, Yogi, Vonleh, Troy Williams, JBJ, RoJo (not sure if he was top 50, and you could argue he could have been better), Langford, TJD. 

Just now, BGleas said:

The majority of IU's top 50 recruits the last 10-12 years have delivered. The issue is we don't get enough of them. 

I'm going 100% off memory, but I'm trying to think of a top 50 recruit the last 12 years that didn't play to his ranking or at least close to it, or if one didn't I'm trying to think of one that it wasn't because of injury?

All I can come up with is Jeremy Hollowell. Creek and Jerome Hunter are because of injuries. 

Watford, Creek (before injuries), Zeller, Yogi, Vonleh, Troy Williams, JBJ, RoJo (not sure if he was top 50, and you could argue he could have been better), Langford, TJD. 

How about Hanner Perea

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd throw Hanner Perea in there

53 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Alford wouldn't be my first choice but I'm a big believer that certain coaches just fit certain jobs well.  He's an IU legend and knows the B1G and the State of Indiana as well as anyone.   Who's to say he wouldn't have a lot of success here?

It's not even the mediocre jobs that he has done.  To me he's just no longer a likeable person.  His arrogance is unfounded.  Maybe one thing that has happened with him being run out of LA is he was humbled a bit and maybe refound himself as a person.  Money and esteem can screw people.  There have been lots of stories about the way he treated people poorly all the way from bloomington to Iowa and stuff about him not being liked in LA.  There has to be something to it.  It's sad because he used to tour the state doing stuff like fellowship of Christian athlete's basketball camps, or something along those lines.  People do change.  The past few days I said I'd quit IU if we hired him but truth is I would give him a chance.  I certainly would be less that thrilled though.  

29 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I'll lay money that once Andrew gets a head coaching job DD will be at the very least in the shadows.  It may be another 10 -15 years and I'm not talking big ten.  Naia, d2, or low low d1.  Who knows.  He's put himself around Beilein and Holtmann.  And is already an assistant at Elon.  Yes they are d1.  Working under a former Ohio St assistant.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not that I don't agree, but I'm holding out hope so much on this one.  Had to be a reason he was what #2 or #3 in the 2021 class?  He does look very quick and crafty with passing, etc.  I'm reaching for sure, but for once being optimistic that another year will make all the difference.

I don't believe he was that high. I think he was in the 10-15 range or possibly just inside the top 10. Those are still very solid rankings and players rankled that high usually play more than he does their freshman season. He was the #1 PG in the 2021 class which might be what you were thinking of with the top 3.

Even after reclassifying, he was a top 30 5* recruit and one of the top PG in that class. 25-30 seem to be more hit or miss on their immediate impact in college.

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Was making the comment more about Archie.  

Hunter and Lander look like 3 stars out there. 

Archived