Article on staying patient on coaches, Shaka, followed by CAM

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Leary brought up Race and said he didn't think he has improved that much but his minutes went up  He thought Race should have been getting more minutes last year but didn't.

Race did improve, and noticeably, last season, and in fairness his minutes increased dramatically over the last 10 or so games, to over 20 a game, while Brunk’s diminished to single digits. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Why? He has been an average coach, has been fired, and had those serious player issues (criminal) while at Iowa. Great player, average coach with a lot of baggage. I would hate to see Alford anywhere near the discussion

Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Why?  He’s failed maybe not worse than Archie but more often. 

Well Alford has won the BTT twice and none of our coaches has won it at all.  I was down on having an IU guy especially Alford but I have changed my stance on it.  I think this might be the only thing that can bring all of the IU players and fans back together.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well Alford has won the BTT twice and none of our coaches has won it at all.  I was down on having an IU guy especially Alford but I have changed my stance on it.  I think this might be the only thing that can bring all of the IU players and fans back together.

That’s called a retirement home

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well what we have done the last 25 years hasn't work so why keep doing the same things when it doesn't work.  that is definition of insanity

Can you imagine any kind of buyout to can Miller and bring in Alford? Dolson may be hung up on nostalgia like a lot of fans but I seriously doubt he lacks smarts

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Maybe. But the argument we NEED top 50 players seems untrue. Does Wisconsin have a single top 50 player?  

You only NEED top 50 players if you can’t coach

So, Coach K, Roy Williams, Dean Smith, Jay Wright, Thad Matta, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, etc., etc., can't coach?

When have those guys won big without high level talent?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

He just has to, And he has succeeded at more places than Archie.

Career winning %:

Miller 64.3% Alford 65.2%

Current teams:

IU 8-6, 72.6 ppg, 14.4 ast/12.1 TOs, 45.9% FG%, 32.4% 3pt%, 66.6% FT%

NEV 9-5, 71.1 ppg, 14.0 ast/13.4 TOs, 44.3% FG%, 35.3% 3pt%, 73.9% FT%

Especially considering schedules, I fail to see a meaningful upgrade here.

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't believe he was that high. I think he was in the 10-15 range or possibly just inside the top 10. Those are still very solid rankings and players rankled that high usually play more than he does their freshman season. He was the #1 PG in the 2021 class which might be what you were thinking of with the top 3.

Even after reclassifying, he was a top 30 5* recruit and one of the top PG in that class. 25-30 seem to be more hit or miss on their immediate impact in college.

Yeah.  I knew it would be hard to say where a top 10-15 2021 kid would fit in with 2020, and obviously it has been rough so far.  I would just say that it is rare to be top 10-15 in your class and not eventually at least be pretty solid.  I think we hold our breath that next year he will be doing what you'd hope a top 10-15 freshman should do.  This is still me being optimistic.  It feels weird.  

Archived