Article on staying patient on coaches, Shaka, followed by CAM

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Was making the comment more about Archie.  

Hunter and Lander look like 3 stars out there. 

Clearly Hunter had a major medical set back, that's no small thing. Jury is still out on Lander. 

My issue with Archie is we don't have enough top 50 guys. Langford and TJD both played to their ranking. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Clearly Hunter had a major medical set back, that's no small thing. Jury is still out on Lander. 

My issue with Archie is we don't have enough top 50 guys. Langford and TJD both played to their ranking. 

Very good players agreed. But also below average shooters for their positions.  Modern basketball you have to have some shooting. 

It’s been years for Hunter. If he’s not back yet then I think we just have to assume he’s never going to be.  

Very good players agreed. But also below average shooters for their positions.  Modern basketball you have to have some shooting. 

Debating their strengths and weaknesses is fine, they both have them, but when you average 18+ppg in the Big Ten as a freshmen or sophomore, you're delivering on your ranking. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, I'm super high on Franklin. Might be my favorite player on the team. But to be a consistent Big Ten title contender, you need more than that. You need Franklin next to a Burger Boy point guard. It's not enough to recruit 6 guards ranked 137 in their class and hope one outplays their ranking. 

In fairness we may have that next season. Lander is a stud, right, not ready now since he’s really still a high school kid, but he will be. 
You know I’ve always agreed with your overall point though, we need more elite talent who the all-around talented guys like Galloway, Leal, Geronimo et al can surround 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

For me this is the kind of recruits we should see at IU in most classes

1- top 10-20 player

2 top 50 players

1 top 75-100 player

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s been years for Hunter. If he’s not back yet then I think we just have to assume he’s never going to be.  

But Hunter has been steadily getting back over the past several games. Both inside and out. The problem is the second AF as back CAM went right back to the same limited offense with AF taking 15 shots. Before someone has a coronary, again, I love AF’s game, but he should not be taking 15 shots (again to get 14 points), need to integrate the deep shooters better, including Leal. That was happening until PU, CAM just reverted the offense back to what it was and again we couldn’t score. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1- top 10-20 player

2 top 50 players

1 top 75-100 player

And you have to develop everyone else.  I don't feel we have seen the guys that are 2 or 3 years in the program are getting appreciably better than they were when they walked in the door.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I for one think Alford can coach and coach pretty well.  He is still somewhat of a legend in the Midwest. My only draw back is some of the off the court stuff but honestly I think he’s learned his lesson on that part since his Iowa days. Not saying he’s my top choice but I definitely want an IU guy and wouldn’t be completely upset with Alford.  Keith Smart is my top choice of IU guys followed by Fife. And would love the bench filled with IU guys as well.  Again this is just my opinion, and whatever gets the program back where we want it I’m all in on!

Thank you. I agree with everything you said. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Debating their strengths and weaknesses is fine, they both have them, but when you average 18+ppg in the Big Ten as a freshmen or sophomore, you're delivering on your ranking. 

Agreed.  Not sure why you think I am attacking the players. The blame falls squarely on Archie not the players. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

...and when you avg. 18+ppg then you are off to the NBA, so Arch needs to replace them asap?

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1- top 10-20 player

2 top 50 players

1 top 75-100 player

Id even expand the bottom to be 75-150.  Our issue isn’t really talent it’s that our upperclassmen still play like freshmen and they weren’t highly ranked freshmen for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Agreed.  Not sure why you think I am attacking the players. The blame falls squarely on Archie not the players. 

I don't think you're attacking players. I just didn't your original comment was based in any real fact. But to your point, you didn't really specify a timeframe, I'm the one that made up the 12 year period. 

I do disagree that Archie's problem is top 50 guys not delivering, his problem is he isn't getting enough top 50 guys. 

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And you have to develop everyone else.  I don't feel we have seen the guys that are 2 or 3 years in the program are getting appreciably better than they were when they walked in the door.

So Race Thompson and Armaan Franklin aren't better than they were when they walked through the door?

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think you're attacking players. I just didn't your original comment was based in any real fact. But to your point, you didn't really specify a timeframe, I'm the one that made up the 12 year period. 

I do disagree that Archie's problem is top 50 guys not delivering, his problem is he isn't getting enough top 50 guys. 

He’s 50/50 so far.  Top 50 guys should be decent guys off the bench from the get go.  

34 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was making the comment more about Archie.  

Hunter and Lander look like 3 stars out there. 

I don't think Lander was ready mentally or physically for this level of basketball. Hunter's play is a direct result of his injury. You also have to consider the coaching performance on how these players perform. 

Alford wouldn't of been anything like he was under Archie. Archie has to be the worst offensive coach I have ever seen.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

So Race Thompson and Armaan Franklin aren't better than they were when they walked through the door?

Race Thompson is a top 100 recruit who has been with Archie since his first season. And while Race is a decent player other teams are bringing in 3 stars and getting the same production within 2 years. 

Just watching the UI and OSU game and the difference in shooting is so different than when watching us shoot.  The main difference is that these guys are confident shooting the ball and are not hesitating when they get the ball.  It just seems like our players hesitates and when you do this then your open shot is no longer open.  I saw the same thing with Dane Fife when RMK was coach compared to when Davis was coach.  fife was scared to shoot when RMK was here and then Davis loosened things up and let the players play with more confidence.

Just now, jefftheref said:

I don't think Lander was ready mentally or physically for this level of basketball. Hunter's play is a direct result of his injury. You also have to consider the coaching performance on how these players perform. 

Alford wouldn't of been anything like he was under Archie. Archie has to be the worst offensive coach I have ever seen.

I’m not overlooking the coaching. I am blatantly blaming it. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Alford wouldn't be my first choice but I'm a big believer that certain coaches just fit certain jobs well.  He's an IU legend and knows the B1G and the State of Indiana as well as anyone.   Who's to say he wouldn't have a lot of success here?

Ask Iowa how successful he would be. I bet you could get them to chip in on the buyout for IU to be stuck with him. SMH 🤦‍♂️

Alford has had plenty of time to prove his worth as a coach. Sorry pal, ya didn’t get it done.

Race Thompson is a top 100 recruit who has been with Archie since his first season. And while Race is a decent player other teams are bringing in 3 stars and getting the same production within 2 years. 

Leary brought up Race and said he didn't think he has improved that much but his minutes went up  He thought Race should have been getting more minutes last year but didn't.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Leary brought up Race and said he didn't think he has improved that much but his minutes went up  He thought Race should have been getting more minutes last year but didn't.

Doesn't matter what Leary thinks...you've watched them...what do YOU think...

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Ask Iowa how successful he would be. I bet you could get them to chip in on the buyout for IU to be stuck with him. SMH 🤦‍♂️

Alford has had plenty of time to prove his worth as a coach. Sorry pal, ya didn’t get it done.

Alford has a nice record as a coach wherever is has been.

Archived