Article on staying patient on coaches, Shaka, followed by CAM

4 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Although some on the board disagree with Knights tactics he is pretty much unanimously considered one of the greatest college coaches of all time. He took IU to 4 final fours winning, of course, 3.

’76 team members Benson, May and Buckner were among the most highly recruited players in the country (ie top 50).

’81 team - 3/5 of the starters were burger boys and IT is considered one of the greatest PG’s of all time.

’87 team - Knights greatest coaching championship, in my opinion, with just one Burger Boy (Daryl Thomas), Alford (I know he was Mr Basketball but have no idea if he was highly ranked coming out of HS) and of course 2 transfers that helped get us over the top.

’93 team had 4 or so burger boys. 

In decades of coaching one of the greatest coaches of all-time made it to the final four only once, in ‘87, without multiple top 50 guys.  Knight did not  have the absolute best talent, as an example Dean Smith had absolutely loaded teams and should have won 3 or 4 times with his talent, but Knight did not tend to win big with 3 donkeys and 2 diamonds in the rough. 

We don’t need to go Calapari OAD’s to win but the odds are really stacked against us getting another banner without some top 50 talent.

He went to the final four in 73 as well

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, rico said:

Manchester, SWMizzoiSt., New Mexico, and one could say Iowa.

I agree with you in regards to the first three schools but he underperformed his predecessors at Iowa (not to mention the off the court stuff).  After SWMizzo I really hoped he was on track to be IU’s coach at some point but his Iowa stint really soured me on him getting back to Bloomington.

Not to mention he had mediocre results with a fair amount of talent at UCLA. He has had 2 power 5 jobs and both schools and fan bases were absolutely ecstatic to get rid of him. 

It's maddening, but I think our best chance at relevance within the next five years is with CAM at the helm.  I don't want to change coaches, I like Arch and think he has to figure out how to get a point guard in the transfer portal that is a bulldog.  If TJD comes back(not likely(?)), and he gets a seasoned and tough pg, then I think we will see a huge improvement next year. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

For IU to be the best next year if TJD comes back I like to see this lineup

Lander

Franklin

Stewart

Race

TJD

To me it would be a good sign if Lander can develop over the summer to get to where he can start.

Thing is we haven’t seen Stewart in the B1G. Think that’s just going to be a wait and see. Hunter could be outstanding by then, and we’re already seeing his improvement, if that continues watch out 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thing is we haven’t seen Stewart in the B1G. Think that’s just going to be a wait and see. Hunter could be outstanding by then, and we’re already seeing his improvement, if that continues watch out 

To e this would be the best case scenario 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Stewart has to be better that Rob and Al.....doesn't he?

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I agree with you in regards to the first three schools but he underperformed his predecessors at Iowa (not to mention the off the court stuff).  After SWMizzo I really hoped he was on track to be IU’s coach at some point but his Iowa stint really soured me on him getting back to Bloomington.

Not to mention he had mediocre results with a fair amount of talent at UCLA. He has had 2 power 5 jobs and both schools and fan bases were absolutely ecstatic to get rid of him. 

The guy made a judgement mistake at Iowa.  

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Oh it went well beyond that. Not only was he very publicly vocal about Pierce’s innocence before he had the facts, he had his friends at Athletes in Action try to pressure the victim to drop the charges 

So a few judgement mistakes...

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

For IU to be the best next year if TJD comes back I like to see this lineup

Lander

Franklin

Stewart

Race

TJD

To me it would be a good sign if Lander can develop over the summer to get to where he can start.

I hope TJD gives it another year.  Improve draft stock. Get college degree (or pretty close). Clean up some unfinished business.  

That will be Archie’s biggest recruit - get TJD back.  

Archived