Archie Wednesday update on Armaan Franklin and Parker Stewart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a theory I'll share here after pointing out these quotes.  

"He’s not anywhere near joining us for practice or anything like that. He’s now full-go in terms of being a part of what we’re doing.”

That makes no sense but ok.  

"as of right now, there’s no real plan to be able to integrate him any which way possible just because of the circumstances surrounding his arrival.

My guess is he showed up and tested positive.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

AF did "a little running" and a "little shooting" -- he's just "9 days" out on a "legitimate sprain."  can't see him playing tomorrow

The fact that he had to call it a legitimate sprain caught my attention.  We have all seen bad sprains and his was slightly more than a tweak.  Can't see him not playing either.  

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Back to a different thread that asked about CAM's jaw and him spitting if he might have been hurt or had teeth issues.  After watching this, i think he is using tobacco.  The other side now has a slight bulge.  And he just did the act like you're taking a drink and spit in the cup.  Used to do that all the time when i chewed

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have a theory I'll share here after pointing out these quotes.  

"He’s not anywhere near joining us for practice or anything like that. He’s now full-go in terms of being a part of what we’re doing.”

That makes no sense but ok.  

"as of right now, there’s no real plan to be able to integrate him any which way possible just because of the circumstances surrounding his arrival.

My guess is he showed up and tested positive.  

That was my guess, too.

42 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Back to a different thread that asked about CAM's jaw and him spitting if he might have been hurt or had teeth issues.  After watching this, i think he is using tobacco.  The other side now has a slight bulge.  And he just did the act like you're taking a drink and spit in the cup.  Used to do that all the time when i chewed

After the Wisco game?!  I’m 99% sure he had a dip in. 

47 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Seems like an odd habit to pick up at this stage in his life...I've heard nothing before about any tobacco use?

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Seems like an odd habit to pick up at this stage in his life...I've heard nothing before about any tobacco use?

Same. Who knows.  Maybe why he chews 10 pounds of gum per game. 

The alternative is someone drinking that green stuff, 12 diet cokes, and demolishing water bottles with each sip!   On top of excessive clapping all game!  Haha.  

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You guys might be right, but I would be AMAZED if he was chewing tobacco. I'd be more acceptable of a wad of gum then chaw.

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

You guys might be right, but I would be AMAZED if he was chewing tobacco. I'd be more acceptable of a wad of gum then chaw.

As a previous chewer of tobacco, the way he holds his mouth (slight clenching of the left side of his mouth/lips), the slight bulge in the left cheek and how he used the cup says its chew to me.

41 minutes ago, DWB said:

It sure as heck is a surprise to me as well....but...

29 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

As a previous chewer of tobacco, the way he holds his mouth (slight clenching of the left side of his mouth/lips), the slight bulge in the left cheek and how he used the cup says its chew to me.

...I can't argue with experience.  You are likely right.  Just strikes me odd he started now and there is zero evidence he's a long term user.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I've tried chew but wasn't big on it myself but I had some friends that chewed a lot. I agree, it definitely looks like he's chewing. My friends usually put it under their lip instead the cheek so it looks slightly different than what they normally did but sometimes they'd try to be more discrete about it and this looks like that. Especially when he "drinks" from the cup, that looks like a discrete spit. You can even see him doing the pre-spit motions with his mouth and then he doesn't appear to swallow after.

I didn't watch the videos, but I can't imagine in 2021 that major college basketball coach would chew during a press conference. 

I can't imagine the SID would let him go out there doing that. 

I hear what your all saying and will check the clip out, but my gut says it has to be something else. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn't watch the videos, but I can't imagine in 2021 that major college basketball coach would chew during a press conference. 

I can't imagine the SID would let him go out there doing that. 

I hear what your all saying and will check the clip out, but my gut says it has to be something else. 

I think it was the Nebraska post-game conference where it was most noticeable.  I'm with you...hard to imagine Archie chewing in a post-game press conference, but you be the judge when you watch the video.  It's a little strange.

My wife is a cancer doctor so I’ve been privy to horrible stories of cancer caused by its use.  It’s no secret these days.  It’s not like our parents or grandparents where so many of them smoked, chewed, whatever, because they didn’t know better.  It’s a killer and cuts lives short.  Of course, anybody could get cancer at any age even without tobacco, but that doesn’t mean you should increase your odds by using tobacco.  It’s a free country and Archie is free to do anything he wants but I hope it’s not true or wish that he knocks it off.  

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it was the Nebraska post-game conference where it was most noticeable.  I'm with you...hard to imagine Archie chewing in a post-game press conference, but you be the judge when you watch the video.  It's a little strange.

It is strange. I never had him pegged as tobacco user so I'd be surprised if he does chew. Even more so at a press conference. There might be another explanation but that certainly is what it looks life he's doing, though.

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I saw it big time after Wisco.  Almost like he wasn’t hiding it.   He leaned over to spit too in his spittoon mid presser.   

1FEB180C-784D-4A1F-B0CC-7D9451C654DB.png

5018058C-3017-4EF4-8261-E0412BAD5959.png

Archived