Deland McCullough Returning to Indiana

BeerBQ

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we please stop with the lateral move stuff?  He's literally going from the NCAA program with the most losses to the one with the most wins.  Yeah, Michigan has had its ups and downs lately, but this would be like someone saying an assistant basketball coach going from Rutgers to Indiana is making a lateral move.  Don't get me wrong, I love IU football as much as anybody, and think we're positioned extremely well, but we just beat Michigan for the first time in over 30 years, and only the 2nd time in over 50 years.  It might be lateral based on the position he'll be coaching, but this is not a lateral move.

This sucks...., but like any successful program, there’s always “sharks in the water”.  CTA knows it all to well. Teams want the success we’ve got. Don’t loose site that there’s gonna be successful RB coaches that would love to work for CTA. My only concern is we don’t loose any current RBs because of their relationship with Hart.

I'll say too, I don't mind losing coaches.  Allen has done such a good job hiring the last couple years, I'm confident we'll get a replacement that is at least even with what we lost.  Our running game has had a lot of problems the last 2 years, and I think there's a lot of fault to go around on that, but Hart definitely isn't someone who is irreplaceable.  Good luck to him, and I can't wait to see who we get to replace him.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Harbaugh did just sign an extension

Did you see his buyout?  Definitely didn't use CTC lawyers or agent to write that bad boy.  Buyout right now is 4 mil, 3 next, 2, then 1.  It's basically not a buyout at all considering the value of the program.  Shoot, Charlie Weis fleeced Notre Dame out of almost 18 mil.  

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Can we please stop with the lateral move stuff?  He's literally going from the NCAA program with the most losses to the one with the most wins.  Yeah, Michigan has had its ups and downs lately, but this would be like someone saying an assistant basketball coach going from Rutgers to Indiana is making a lateral move.  Don't get me wrong, I love IU football as much as anybody, and think we're positioned extremely well, but we just beat Michigan for the first time in over 30 years, and only the 2nd time in over 50 years.  It might be lateral based on the position he'll be coaching, but this is not a lateral move.

Yeah this is in no way looks bad on us lol.. I'm perplexed how anyone could spin it that way. 

No surprise. I think most of us knew this day was coming. Not sure why anyone would think this is a bad look for us. When national programs want your coaches....it's a good thing. 

I trust Coach Allen to find a quality replacement and if it matters I wouldn't mind if recruiting took higher priority over tactical or technical skills. We need players. Hart brought us many. 

Can never fault or question someone from going back to their alma mater.  Honestly,  I think most of us knew this day would be coming.  He did a lot for us and helped change the culture here.  

Given the details and buyout of Harbaugh’s new contract I don’t think it’s too far fetched that Hart could be the “next” HC at Michigan.  I think that played a role in his decision as well.

I don't even know if it would be a possibility given success of their program too but Nate Scheelhaase (forerm Illini QB, current Iowa St WR's coach) also spent time as their running backs coach and is generally regarded as one of the better up and comers, recruiters in the Midwest. Just throwing names out there. I'm sure somewhere there's a list of 5-6 guys but I do know I want a recruiter. 

I have no ideal who’s out there to get are who would make a great coach. I’ll leave that to the man who’s job is tied to how well they do. 
I do how ever agree that we need to get guys who can recruit very well. Great athletes make a lot of coaches look better then they are so get a recruiter and the system will help him be a successful coach. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't even know if it would be a possibility given success of their program too but Nate Scheelhaase (forerm Illini QB, current Iowa St WR's coach) also spent time as their running backs coach and is generally regarded as one of the better up and comers, recruiters in the Midwest. Just throwing names out there. I'm sure somewhere there's a list of 5-6 guys but I do know I want a recruiter. 

I found this dated article...

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/LongFormArticle/College-football-best-young-coaches-30under30-151573416/#151573416_1

Archived