Deland McCullough Returning to Indiana

BeerBQ

7 hours ago, NYHoosier312 said:

Can never fault or question someone from going back to their alma mater.  Honestly,  I think most of us knew this day would be coming.  He did a lot for us and helped change the culture here.  

Given the details and buyout of Harbaugh’s new contract I don’t think it’s too far fetched that Hart could be the “next” HC at Michigan.  I think that played a role in his decision as well.

I think this is the only context through which to view this move as anything other than lateral.

While it's true that in a "macro" sense, he's moving from a historically bad program to a blue-blood that is his alma mater, when you put it into context of the last few seasons, the only way this makes sense is if he thinks he has a shot at being the next head coach, or he has been assured by the administration that he would be retained if Harbaugh is let go.  Because, if we are all honest, unless Harbaugh works magic next year, he's gone, and a good portion of the current coaching staff is likely to be let go in that scenario.

Contrast that with IU, who, while traditionally not very good, has been trending up over several years and is likely to supplant Michigan over the next few years unless they turn it around fast or Allen leaves for a big-time program, both of which I think are unlikely to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody have any insight on who the next RB coach might be, or names of who we might be looking at?

No idea. I’m surprised it has gone this long with nothing mentioned. 

Only name that came to me is Bryan Payton. He was a RB in the mid to late 2000s and is a recruiting coordinator at Northwestern. He has little coaching experience but would have to be a huge asset for recruiting. 

19 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

No idea. I’m surprised it has gone this long with nothing mentioned. 

Only name that came to me is Bryan Payton. He was a RB in the mid to late 2000s and is a recruiting coordinator at Northwestern. He has little coaching experience but would have to be a huge asset for recruiting. 

That does sound like an interesting person to watch.  The lack of coaching experience would definitely be a concern, but the recruiting would be a plus.

Just because I'm overly optimistic, I keep telling myself that maybe Deland McCullough feels like he needs to get back into the college ranks after some time in the NFL, and that is why we haven't heard any news yet.  Maybe we're waiting until after the Chiefs are done playing in the Super Bowl.  Probably a pipe dream, but fun to think about.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

That does sound like an interesting person to watch.  The lack of coaching experience would definitely be a concern, but the recruiting would be a plus.

Just because I'm overly optimistic, I keep telling myself that maybe Deland McCullough feels like he needs to get back into the college ranks after some time in the NFL, and that is why we haven't heard any news yet.  Maybe we're waiting until after the Chiefs are done playing in the Super Bowl.  Probably a pipe dream, but fun to think about.

That would be a fantastic surprise. Agree that it is not likely, though. 

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Think you are overly optimistic.  Going to RB college coach from NFL coach on team who has just won a Super Bowl and will follow-up with no worse than an SB appearance is a long downward step.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Think you are overly optimistic.  Going to RB college coach from NFL coach on team who has just won a Super Bowl and will follow-up with no worse than an SB appearance is a long downward step.

Don't ruin my hopes and dreams!  Haha.

If he wants to be a head coach, he'd probably need to go back to coaching in college.  Do RB coaches ever get promoted to head coach in the NFL?  With only 32 teams, upward movement in the pros can be pretty tough, especially as an RB coach in a QB driven league.  Come back here as RB coach and co-OC, take over for Sheridan in a year or two when he moves on, then head coach a couple years after that.  It all works in my head haha.

I know Lloyd Christmas might be the only one who thinks it might happen, I'm just dying for some IU football talk with how the basketball season has gone.

On 2/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, Leathernecks said:

I have seen on another site that there is a rumor about McCullough.  It seems like a pretty weak rumor, but that is why I brought up his name.  Doesn't matter to me if it is weak or not, still going to needlessly get my hopes up!

This seems really far fetched right? Two super bowls but he might come back to college? 

20 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This seems really far fetched right? Two super bowls but he might come back to college? 

It is definitely far fetched. I’ll admit that. 
However it does make sense from the perspective that there are 32 HC jobs in the NFL and 64 coordinators. Considering it is still a bit of a good ol boys club, the odds of moving up aren’t great. 

He may think the best way to move up the ranks is to become a college coordinator first. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

At first I thought it was really far fetched, but it seems more reasonable now. Could just be me trying to be optimistic about it though. 

Like @BeerBQsaid, upward mobility for an RB coach in the NFL is super tough. Maybe he'll think college is his best way to move up the ladder.

Still wouldn't put money on it happening, but fun to think about. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seems strange to leave the NFL and one of the top teams to come back to college

Deland’s son is a 2022 recruit. Merely speculating but perhaps he wants to be around for that. Would be great if that means Indiana gets him to flip. He’s a major LB recruit

• KDB changed the title to Deland McCullough expected to return to Indiana

Archived