Indiana vs Michigan State postponed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So how will these games be made up.  I see some teams having 3 or 4 games postponed do it will be hard to make them all up.

NBA plays back to back.  High schools often play two games on the same day in tournament settings.  Need to stop babying these college kids.  Won't hurt them to play 3-4 games a week.   

Honestly, if I'm a tournament level team, I would probably prefer to have my outbreak now than in March.  Can you imagine Gonzaga entering the tournament undefeated with a chance to make history, only to have their outbreak then.  And, to a lesser extent, IU.  Say we're on the bubble and have our outbreak on selection weekend.  Would that be taken into consideration when the committee is selecting the field.  I think it would.  

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

NBA plays back to back.  High schools often play two games on the same day in tournament settings.  Need to stop babying these college kids.  Won't hurt them to play 3-4 games a week.   

Yikes, no way. Game prep is key in college, if some teams were forced to do 3-4 games a week as make ups while other didn't, the ones who didn't would have a huge advantage. Really, both in terms of game prep and in terms of readiness/rest. BTW, why do you think it is that NBA teams usually lose the second night of a back to back?

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yikes, no way. Game prep is key in college, if some teams were forced to do 3-4 games a week as make ups while other didn't, the ones who didn't would have a huge advantage. Really, both in terms of game prep and in terms of readiness/rest. BTW, why do you think it is that NBA teams usually lose the second night of a back to back?

If it happens.  And it may happen to more than one or two B1G teams and abroad, you have to just treat it like another conference tournament.  You go prep the best you can, then you grind.  Hopefully some guys step up and grow real quick right before our eyes.  At least on our team.  I'm not worried yet and we won't be in the boat alone if it does happen.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

If it happens.  And it may happen to more than one or two B1G teams and abroad, you have to just treat it like another conference tournament.  You go prep the best you can, then you grind.  Hopefully some guys step up and grow real quick right before our eyes.  At least on our team.  I'm not worried yet and we won't be in the boat alone if it does happen.  

I don't see it happening, I mean 3-4 games?? No way, and it would be seriously prejudicial to the team's ability to compete for an ncaa spot. The schedule / make-up games have to be adjusted, but I'm sure it will be much better than this idea.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Silver Creek's High School Girl's team was undefeated and #1 in Class 3A 2 weeks ago.  That week, they played 4A North Central, who had the highest Sagarin rating in the state, 4A Westfield, sporting a 14&4 record playing an Indianapolis schedule, and, at the time, 4A #1 Crown Point who had not lost a regular season game in 3 years.  The North Central game was at North Central, the other 2 were neutral sites.  The North Central and Westfield games were played on back to back days.  The Crown Point game was played in Gary, which is about as far away geographically as you can get from Silver Creek while still staying in Indiana.  During the North Central game, while leading, one of Silver Creek's starters and top 3 point shooter suffered a frightening injury that required a trip to the hospital.  

Silver Creek lost the first two games in that gauntlet, but rebounded to snap Crown Point's 50 something odd regular season win streak, still playing without the girl that was injured against North Central. 

My point isn't to brag on SC or get you interested in Indiana High School sports.  My point is that, if high school teams can play that kind of schedule, even under difficult circumstances, then so can college teams.  The SC team and coaching staff didn't shy away from the challenge.  They welcomed it.  And, they will be better prepared for the state tournament because of it.   

The B1G should have taken Indy up on their offer to host the basketball season in one spot....these commissioners or school presidents or whomever are the dumbest people alive....I know it would have caused havoc with the tv schedule but they could have figured it out...much better than canceling mass ball games. Just like the football schedule...so dumb not to start sooner and have make up weeks scheduled into it. If these people were in charge of actual Fortune 500 companies they would be voted out by their boards...instead the bueracrats running things will all circle the wagons to protect them.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know before the season they said you have to play at least 15 games to be considered for the tournament.  I wonder if a team like Villanova don't play 15 games they will change rules like the big ten did for OSU for football

No...they will crown UK champion of the Big East and they will represent them lol.

Yes they will. Just like Duke and any other blue blood would get in.

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Silver Creek's High School Girl's team was undefeated and #1 in Class 3A 2 weeks ago.  That week, they played 4A North Central, who had the highest Sagarin rating in the state, 4A Westfield, sporting a 14&4 record playing an Indianapolis schedule, and, at the time, 4A #1 Crown Point who had not lost a regular season game in 3 years.  The North Central game was at North Central, the other 2 were neutral sites.  The North Central and Westfield games were played on back to back days.  The Crown Point game was played in Gary, which is about as far away geographically as you can get from Silver Creek while still staying in Indiana.  During the North Central game, while leading, one of Silver Creek's starters and top 3 point shooter suffered a frightening injury that required a trip to the hospital.  

Silver Creek lost the first two games in that gauntlet, but rebounded to snap Crown Point's 50 something odd regular season win streak, still playing without the girl that was injured against North Central. 

My point isn't to brag on SC or get you interested in Indiana High School sports.  My point is that, if high school teams can play that kind of schedule, even under difficult circumstances, then so can college teams.  The SC team and coaching staff didn't shy away from the challenge.  They welcomed it.  And, they will be better prepared for the state tournament because of it.   

Naah. HS basketball is nice, but we're talking D1 college ball with all the scouting etc. that goes with it. The difference that matters is the great disadvantage it would cause teams forced to play 3-4  a week, simply to catch up, while other teams had their usual schedules, scouting, game prep and rest. No way Fouls.

Archived