Indiana vs Michigan State postponed

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Naah. HS basketball is nice, but we're talking D1 college ball with all the scouting etc. that goes with it. The difference that matters is the great disadvantage it would cause teams forced to play 3-4  a week, simply to catch up, while other teams had their usual schedules, scouting, game prep and rest. No way Fouls.

The scouting starts weeks ahead of time and the assistant coaches keep adding to it. Head coach usually does not even look at a team until they are next up. Job of assistant coaches . No reason why you can't play 3 or 4 in a week. Ideal no plausible very!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I guess this will give us more time to lick our wounds after Purdue beats us again tonight. 

Logical response to an IU/MSU game postponed due to a pandemic.

"We will lose to Purdue".

I see the easy connection. 😌 

Some of you literally can not help yourself. We have a Purdue pre-game thread where we can say how much Purdue will beat us by all day long.

But thats not enough. We must also post it in the IU/MSU postponement thread......you know, in case anybody missed it over there.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't see it happening, I mean 3-4 games?? No way, and it would be seriously prejudicial to the team's ability to compete for an ncaa spot. The schedule / make-up games have to be adjusted, but I'm sure it will be much better than this idea.

With the B1G schedule, I'm guessing they would just cancel if it got to the point of 3-4 games.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Naah. HS basketball is nice, but we're talking D1 college ball with all the scouting etc. that goes with it. The difference that matters is the great disadvantage it would cause teams forced to play 3-4  a week, simply to catch up, while other teams had their usual schedules, scouting, game prep and rest. No way Fouls.

So, basically, college coaches and players should not have to work hard.  

Random Team

Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday, Thursday, Sunday.  

10 games in 27 days.  Always 2 days off in between.  Now, I understand that only looking at 1 team's schedule is flawed, because that has to fit in with all other teams.  But, these are college age kids that should be able to play a more aggressive schedule than they are asked to now.

I remember back in the day, all Big Ten teams played Thursday night and then Saturday afternoon.  You had travel partners.  For example, if IU was playing at Iowa on Thursday night, then Ohio State was playing at Minnesota.  And, they flipped on Saturday.  .So, basically, after travelling late Thursday, your prep time for Saturday afternoon's game was basically Friday afternoon.  Bob Knight figured out how to win those Saturday games more often than not.   

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Random Team

Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday, Thursday, Sunday.  

10 games in 27 days.  Always 2 days off in between.  Now, I understand that only looking at 1 team's schedule is flawed, because that has to fit in with all other teams.  But, these are college age kids that should be able to play a more aggressive schedule than they are asked to now.

I remember back in the day, all Big Ten teams played Thursday night and then Saturday afternoon.  You had travel partners.  For example, if IU was playing at Iowa on Thursday night, then Ohio State was playing at Minnesota.  And, they flipped on Saturday.  .So, basically, after travelling late Thursday, your prep time for Saturday afternoon's game was basically Friday afternoon.  Bob Knight figured out how to win those Saturday games more often than not.   

Renner those days and it made it easier nto keep up with the schedule

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

With that schedule you only played twice a week.  Also it gave coaches alot of time to prepare for both opponents through the week

If I recall correctly, Knight usually gave the team Monday off.  So, you basically had Tuesday and Wednesday.  I don't think that's a lot of time to prepare for two opponents.

I'll stand by my position that if high school and NBA teams can play 3-4 times a week, then there is no reason why colleges can't, other than it's untraditional and people freak out more now than they used to when asked to think outside the box.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I recall correctly, Knight usually gave the team Monday off.  So, you basically had Tuesday and Wednesday.  I don't think that's a lot of time to prepare for two opponents.

I'll stand by my position that if high school and NBA teams can play 3-4 times a week, then there is no reason why colleges can't, other than it's untraditional and people freak out more now than they used to when asked to think outside the box.

During the season high school plays on Friday and Saturday so they are not playing 3 or 4 times a game.  Also how can you compare it the NBA because college players still have to go to class and study.

Also I figured he would have given the players off Sunday and not Monday

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

You’re not addressing the points Fouls.  I don’t really want to belabor this with you you’re set in and welcome to your opinion but again it’s not whether a team could do it, it’s the huge disadvantage it would cause the team in relation to others who don’t have to, when a game or few is the difference in making the tourney. And again nba teams generally lose the second night of back to backs that’s the point 

Just now, IU Scott said:

During the season high school plays on Friday and Saturday so they are not playing 3 or 4 times a game.  Also how can you compare it the NBA because college players still have to go to class and study.

Did you not read the post about the schedule the Silver Creek Girls face two weeks ago?

And, no there are many times during the high school season that there are games played Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.  Girls schedules are even more aggressive, as the often play a Monday, Thursday, Saturday afternoon schedule to get all their games in.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Most girls teams play Tuesday,  Thursday Saturday.  Most boys teams have a stretch of 5 games in 8 days. Friday Saturday a Tuesday Friday Saturday.  Most sectionals you might have to play 3 in a week

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You’re not addressing the points Fouls.  I don’t really want to belabor this with you you’re set in and welcome to your opinion but again it’s not whether a team could do it, it’s the huge disadvantage it would cause the team in relation to others who don’t have to, when a game or few is the difference in making the tourney. And again nba teams generally lose the second night of back to backs that’s the point 

In covid Era there is no such thing as being fair. If you want to play you do what you have to in order to play. 3 weeks off or 3 games a week 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, it's a disadvantage, but we are living in unusual times.  Let me ask it this way.  Let's say Purdue and Indiana are fighting for the last tournament spot from the Big Ten.  Purdue games @Michigan and @Iowa are cancelled due to Covid  and are not made up.  Meanwhile, IU has to cancel home games against Nebraska and Minnesota that aren't made up.  Isn't that a much greater disadvantage than asking a team to play 3 games a week? 

Talk about impacting who makes the tourney and who doesn't.  

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How much time Knight gave the team off depended on how they played and who they lost to. LOL

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Knight practiced on Sunday to correct all the mistakes made on Thursday and Saturday while they were fresh in everyone's mind.  Monday was the team's day off, at least while the Thursday/Saturday schedule was in place.  He would adjust it during the Ohio State week, when they only played the one game.  But, on weeks where they played to, that was it.  .

Archived