Alex Hemenway

HoosierKix

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HoosierKix said:

I’ve heard a lot about this kid on here but haven’t been able to find him on many sites but maybe I wasn’t looking in the right spots. What’s the deal with him? Does he have an offer from us? He’s 2019 right?

No offer.

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Correct 2019. He goes to Castle HS down here in Newburgh. Good kid, good family. He had a 50 point plus game a few nights ago. And yes he can shoot......

Really? Impressive. Proud, do you know if he scored that mostly off of his shooting or does he know how to get to the bucket also?

Living in Evansville, I have not followed Castle BB that closely. But Castle also had a very good player last year, Jack Nunge (6'10"), who commited to and is playing for Iowa. It might come back to bite us.

Alex is averaging about 25 ppg.

Here is what I found

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/alex-hemenway/Y1VfS5eAEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

I heard an interview with the kid.  I was impressed that he mentioned how much he likes defense.  He was confident about his shooting.  I have not seen him play, but based on reports he may be the classic Indiana kid who could come back and bite us if we don't jump on him.  I don't know his ranking, but will trust the coaches if they like his skill set, which is the most important thing.  

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I heard an interview with the kid.  I was impressed that he mentioned how much he likes defense.  He was confident about his shooting.  I have not seen him play, but based on reports he may be the classic Indiana kid who could come back and bite us if we don't jump on him.  I don't know his ranking, but will trust the coaches if they like his skill set, which is the most important thing.  

Sounds like your typical Butler player.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like your typical Butler player.

See, that's just it. The typical "Butler player" has kicked our butt recently. We need kids who might be considered "Butler players ".  Tough, smart kids who don't back down.

I'd like every IU team to have one or two of those type guys.

32 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

See, that's just it. The typical "Butler player" has kicked our butt recently. We need kids who might be considered "Butler players ".  Tough, smart kids who don't back down.

Tough situation. You take that kid, or do you take a kid who has a potential future in the NBA? 

57 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

To me if he is the 3rd or 4th best player in your recruiting class I would take him  If he is your best recruit then you might be in trouble at IU.  If you had him to go with Davis and Brooks then I would take him in a heart beat.

I saw him play last year as a sophomore. He seemed to be a very good athlete and defender on the high school level. Did not seem to be solely a spot up shooter. I knew nothing about him going into that game, but was impressed enough with his play to remember the name.

Whether he is an IU-level recruit, I don't know. But if he's been offered by Butler and Xavier, he can't be too far behind. Hope Archie keeps in touch.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't care about their NBA potential but how good of a college player they will be.

Obviously. But you really don’t know what you’re getting till they get here. Lots of kids with good rankings don’t pan out and vice versa. You don’t know it till they get here for a couple years. It’s a tough call between taking the fundamentally sound shooter who doesn’t have NBA stuff vs the kid who isn’t a sound basketball player yet, but could be a star. It’s like asking you whether you want Hartman or Justin Smith. They both have their place in the game. It’s just picking your spots. One could be a Troy Williams, another a Hanner Perea. Then you could have a Collin Hartman or you could get an Austin Etherington. I guess these are decisions where the guy getting paid millions either earns it or he doesn’t.

(And you can act as if “NBA potential” is meaningless in the college game because you may not care about the NBA, but my goodness, those guys are absolute freaks and there’s not a coach in the game that would turn one down)

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Ultimately, Hemenway will need to play well in front of the IU coaches this summer and prove he's more worthy than Brandon Newman or Armaan Franklin.

Newman and Franklin will be AAU teammates so the staff will, perhaps, see them more. But, Hemenway plays for Indiana Elite which is a program Indiana needs to keep working and staying close with. Furthermore, IE is part of the Adidas circuit and IU regularly has coaches at the bigger events. 

A thing I have heard (keyword: "heard") is that the Indiana staff feels very good that they will get Trey Galloway in 2020 and there could be a situation where they don't want to bring in three-straight SG's (Anderson' 18, Hemenway '19, Galloway '20). We will see if that is true or not. I don't find it to be a big talking point--- especially, on the heels of this season where Indiana shot it so miserably from "3". 

I think Hemenway is a terrific prospect and think with his underrated athleticism he could end up (after some seasoning + coaching) as IU's version of a Josh Gasser or Dakota Mathias. 

I know I like him a lot. Franklin is more of a combo guard who can help in both back-court spots and Newman is... still figuring it out. I see Rod Wilmont when I watch Newman and think with the staff IU has that they could do a lot worse than taking a kid like that. 

All in all, the IU staff is in a good spot here. April (and definitely July) will help fill all of the details about who else they wish to prioritize besides Brooks and Jackson-Davis. 

Great information here.

I had posted a couple of weeks ago that I work with a guy from Marion who told me that the youngest Blackmon is pretty much a done deal ( which is why we brought Vijay in).

I think that he is also a SG. Any idea how he might play into your scenario?

2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Great information here.

I had posted a couple of weeks ago that I work with a guy from Marion who told me that the youngest Blackmon is pretty much a done deal ( which is why we brought Vijay in).

I think that he is also a SG. Any idea how he might play into your scenario?

What Year is the youngest Blackmon? 2021?

• 7 months later...

Archived