Post Game (Mortem) Thread

5fouls

The offense needs some work.

Listen I’m glad AF is back, we need him, excellent player. But 15 shots to get 14 points. That’s happened before.

Meanwhile at the half Jerome was 2-3 for 6 after hitting an excellent 3. Finally got some more shots ended 2-5, for 6.

That’s just Hunter, but look at the shot distribution. 

The guys who connect well need to be  set up to shoot, sets need to be run for better outside shots by the guys who connect well from deep.

This is NOT any kind of complaint about AF. This is about creating scoring. We have trouble scoring in part because of how we fail to run sets to emphasize shooters. It needs to change 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I remember seeing someone say that Dolson was attending the game. Doesn’t necessarily mean much at all, but couldn’t have enjoyed what he saw. Plus it’s not like Archie was his hire. He could want to make his mark on the program. 

I would assume he goes to all the games especially home games

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Listen I’m glad AF is back, we need him, excellent player. But 15 shots to get 14 points. That’s happened before.

Meanwhile at the half Jerome was 2-3 for 6 after hitting an excellent 3. Finally got some more shots ended 2-5, for 6.

The guys who connect well need to be  set up to shoot, sets need to be run for better outside shots by the guys who connect well from deep.

This is NOT any kind of complaint about AF. This is about creating scoring. We have trouble scoring in part because of how we fail to run sets to emphasize shooters. It needs to change 

Yes, this!  I actually liked when AF was hot that second or third game they ran a few sets to get him wide open shots.  It worked and yet it seemed to disappear and then I am thinking or he will do this with Hunter and Leal, but nope.  Drives me crazy.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We have trouble scoring because we don’t have shooters... from the 3 and from 15 feet. Really as simple as that. Not the sets, not creating. The only thing that matters is putting a leather ball through a metal hoop, and we don’t have players who can do that consistently enough to win 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I agree on the coaching issue but at the same time ...we don’t have shooters and we need to accept that ...we have some kids who are streaky and shoot well for a game or two but then go right back to being inconsistent ....we have been so long devoid of them we have forgotten what a “ shooter “ Is.  A shooter is someone who shoots well almost EVERY game and occasionally has a bad one ...a shooter is someone the other team game plans for and is afraid to leave open ....we don’t have one of those on our roster 

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like who though

Does it even matter anymore...could it get any worse. Archie Miller is equivalent of Jeff Fisher...500 coach. I refer to the good book....because you are lukewarm neither hot nor cold I spit you out my mouth. I can’t stand the taste of this IU program. To me being mediocre is more maddening then being bad.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

We have trouble scoring because we don’t have shooters... from the 3 and from 15 feet. Really as simple as that. Not the sets, not creating. The only thing that matters is putting a leather ball through a metal hoop, and we don’t have players who can do that consistently enough to win 

I was typing something similar as you said this I think you’re spot on 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Unpopular opinion, but not sure I can put this on CAM. We got good looks, and got to the FT line. Coach can’t make these guys make shots. 

I think it’s more the construction of the team and lack of developing any simblance of shooting that has people feeling this. I think people just don’t have faith his system will work here. Not like his brother is lighting it up either...maybe the Millers are just overrated.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is an astute observation. The second aspect to this is notice that Al and Rob went in the tank when AF plays.  I haven’t studied it, but I imagine that it’s because Armaan is ball dominant and Rob and Al get out of sorts.  

When AF was out, note that Al and Rob played really well.  I was hoping they turned a corner.  

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Unpopular opinion, but not sure I can put this on CAM. We got good looks, and got to the FT line. Coach can’t make these guys make shots. 

He can try to make changes and find something that can work.  I use to say this same thing but after 4 years why don't we have better shooters

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will still watch every game because I am still a fan of IU

I also still watch every game and always will.

That being said.....I’m less emotionally involved than I have been for decades, I find myself reading email/articles etc during the game which I never did in the past and the wins/losses just don’t seem to to mean much because I just don’t think we are heading anywhere. Winning or losing a game does not impact our ability to win the Big Ten and a top 3 tourney seed is a pipe dream. 
Year 4 and we will probably be under .500 in the conference and end up 9-12th but hopefully we will improve in some Kenpom metric(LOL).

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Does it even matter anymore...could it get any worse. Archie Miller is equivalent of Jeff Fisher...500 coach. I refer to the good book....because you are lukewarm neither hot nor cold I spit you out my mouth. I can’t stand the taste of this IU program. To me being mediocre is more maddening then being bad.

Settle down there dbgambill-y Graham.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

CAM has to shoulder some of the blame.  But, you are correct as well.  However, for a lot of folks, it's not this one game.  It's a cumulative level of frustration that is starting to boil over.

We will not make the tournament and home losses to Northwestern and Purdue will be the reason.  

Maki

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

True.  Making shots is about individual swagger and technique.  Here's what makes me wonder:  If you make it to IU, you filled it up in HS.  How come we turn all those guys into tentative bricklayers at the next level?  Crean and Archie eras this is true.  Even a cant miss top5 guy imploded at IU.  I can't figure it out

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I agree on the coaching issue but at the same time ...we don’t have shooters and we need to accept that ...we have some kids who are streaky and shoot well for a game or two but then go right back to being inconsistent ....we have been so long devoid of them we have forgotten what a “ shooter “ Is.  A shooter is someone who shoots well almost EVERY game and occasionally has a bad one ...a shooter is someone the other team game plans for and is afraid to leave open ....we don’t have one of those on our roster 

I agree we don’t have any outstanding outside shooters. We don’t have a deadeye sniper.
But Hunter and Leal can shoot it. Hunter finishing plus 40 percent over the last 10 games last season, back up to appx 37 percent coming into this game because he was emphasized more with AF back, then limited shots - not so much on numbers but within the (lack of) offense in this game the second AF is back, that’s the wrong approach. I am in no way a college ball coach, not trying to say I know better than CAM, of course, but this looks like a philosophy or coaching style I just think, on the offensive end, will not be successful. We need to create more outside shooting 

just contrast the looks PU created tonight. It was ridiculous 

Archived