Post Game (Mortem) Thread

5fouls

I have no doubt this team will win some games against some good teams and we will all wonder if they are Turing the corner...but in the end if you have to wonder then you aren’t. You will know when the program is turned around because it will be self evident....if you have to reason it out...it ain’t happened. When it does there will be no conversation.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I agree on the coaching issue but at the same time ...we don’t have shooters and we need to accept that ...we have some kids who are streaky and shoot well for a game or two but then go right back to being inconsistent ....we have been so long devoid of them we have forgotten what a “ shooter “ Is.  A shooter is someone who shoots well almost EVERY game and occasionally has a bad one ...a shooter is someone the other team game plans for and is afraid to leave open ....we don’t have one of those on our roster 

Why can we all see this but the coaching staff can’t?  Or if they do, they are to stubborn to resolve it. You can’t win consistently playing this style of ball now. 

You young guys... really sorry that you have not had the opportunity to puff your chests out and basically raise your middle finger at the conference because we were just better.

I hope that before I leave this earth, IU basketball gets back to what I grew up with and loved. I am at the point that for me, it really doesn’t matter, I got to experience the heyday of IU basketball.

Younger fans need to have the opportunity to witness what I did for so many years 

This was bad. Terrible effort. Much needed win. 

To make it even worse, this Purdue team really isn't that good.

Of course, I think the announcers said that this was their best 3pt shooting game in the last 5 years, or that at one point it was on pace to be. Something like that.

As for the rest of the season - brutal stretch coming up.

I think 15-12 or better in the regular season puts IU in good shape for the tournament going into the B1G Tournament. 

I think even 14-13 would give IU a chance if they won at least a couple in the B1G Tournament. 

I really like Archie, and I'm pulling for him, but at some point we have to start winning. I thought the lineups were really bad tonight, and it didn't even feel like there were attempts to run stuff to get shooters open in the second half as they started to build a lead. We continuously were going inside and not converting as they started to pull away, and still didn't even try to get any of our shooters going. Didn't feel like there was even an attempt to make adjustments.

I try to be optimistic, but I'm really struggling after that one.

We just consistently fail to meet the energy level or toughness that other teams bring. THIS game. This game at home, we should have been fired up and just imposed our will. But nope. Disappointing. Need to focus on more rewarding things in life for a bit. Actually glad to have a break from basketball for several days.  

Credit to Purdue for playing hard. Hate even seeing those uniforms on our court, but credit to them. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You young guys... really sorry that you have not had the opportunity to puff your chests out and basically raise your middle finger at the conference because we were just better.

I hope that before I leave this earth, IU basketball gets back to what I grew up with and loved. I am at the point that for me, it really doesn’t matter, I got to experience the heyday of IU basketball.

Younger fans need to have the opportunity to witness what I did for so many years 

My 16 year old son really struggles with this.  Not just IU, but the Reds as well.  I had both IU hoops and the Big Red Machine growing up in the 70s.

I don’t necessarily want Archie gone. I just want whatever the dang problem is to be fixed. I like Archie and want him to succeed but if it’s truly because of him then so be it, be gone. On the other hand, if it’s just because the players aren’t making shots then you turn to that instead, but leads to saying Archie chose these players himself. Hard to pinpoint whether it’s the coach/system or the players, but they are his players not producing. Whether he goes or not I just want to be a team that acts like they give a damn and refuse to lose. Coach’s fault that they don’t? Players fault that they just don’t care? I’ve been on the Archie train for quite some time but I’ve gotten to the point that if cutting ties with him and having a shot at going all in on getting this program where it’s supposed to be is an option then so be it. Anything to add some flavor to this bland product. 

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hell I’m 54, getting older but not yet really old (except when HF calls us old codgers), but right there with you wanting the younger guys to see a dominant IU again. I guess I took it for granted 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I agree we don’t have any outstanding outside shooters. We don’t have a deadeye sniper.
But Hunter and Leal can shoot it. Hunter finishing plus 40 percent over the last 10 games last season, back up to appx 37 percent coming into this game because he was emphasized more with AF back, then limited shots - not so much on numbers but within the (lack of) offense in this game the second AF is back, that’s the wrong approach. I am in no way a college ball coach, not trying to say I know better than CAM, of course, but this looks like a philosophy or coaching style I just think, on the offensive end, will not be successful. We need to create more outside shooting 

just contrast the looks PU created tonight. It was ridiculous 

Definitely agree there 

12 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I agree on the coaching issue but at the same time ...we don’t have shooters and we need to accept that ...we have some kids who are streaky and shoot well for a game or two but then go right back to being inconsistent ....we have been so long devoid of them we have forgotten what a “ shooter “ Is.  A shooter is someone who shoots well almost EVERY game and occasionally has a bad one ...a shooter is someone the other team game plans for and is afraid to leave open ....we don’t have one of those on our roster 

Luke Brown fits that mold!

17 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Unpopular opinion, but not sure I can put this on CAM. We got good looks, and got to the FT line. Coach can’t make these guys make shots. 

If it was a game or two during the season I would agree with you 100% but our shooting issues are a trend, not a game. The need for a pure shooter has been apparent for 4 years and here we are.....At some point it’s on the coach.

My apathy continues to grow. IU is more frustrating than fun to watch for a few years now. The last IU team I enjoyed watching was Yogi's senior year. It is just a weird feeling that even before the opening tip tonight it seemed like Purdue was the more confident, psyched up team in a world where IU is playing at home looking to end a 7 game losing streak to their arch-rival. I know we don't always shoot good but it just feels like there is some kind of intangible missing that I can never quite put my finger on.

It just feels like IU basketball is mired in mediocrity and I don't have a lot of confidence it will change soon.

5 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

Why can we all see this but the coaching staff can’t?  Or if they do, they are to stubborn to resolve it. You can’t win consistently playing this style of ball now. 

Couldn’t agree more and every year the three point shoot becomes more of an emphasis or focal point of how offenses are run ....offenses used to creat three point shooting ...now three point shoot can create offense .....it’s a necessity 

5 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I don’t necessarily want Archie gone. I just want whatever the dang problem is to be fixed. I like Archie and want him to succeed but if it’s truly because of him then so be it, be gone. On the other hand, if it’s just because the players aren’t making shots then you turn to that instead, but leads to saying Archie chose these players himself. Hard to pinpoint whether it’s the coach/system or the players, but they are his players not producing. Whether he goes or not I just want to be a team that acts like they give a damn and refuse to lose. Coach’s fault that they don’t? Players fault that they just don’t care? I’ve been on the Archie train for quite some time but I’ve gotten to the point that if cutting ties with him and having a shot at going all in on getting this program where it’s supposed to be is an option then so be it. Anything to add some flavor to this bland product. 

The thing is that we made excused the last two years that the problems were Crean guys.  Now most if them are gone we can't use this as an excuse any longer

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Cubs won the World Series...it can happen my friend.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I am afraid to look it up but I have to wonder what Archie’s record is against Wisconsin, Michigan and Purdue?  Those three teams have always been smart, hard nosed teams, that are sound.  They are a good measuring stick, kind of like a test.  

He beat Wisconsin once at home with Romeo in double OT. I think that’s it. 

Archived