It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to Keith Smart on a podcast I came away very impressed with him so I would look at him.  He said he had interviewed for a couple of college jobs including IU.  He said his lack of recruiting was a big reason for not getting a better look.  He told them all kids want to go to the next level and him being in the NBA would be a big selling point.  He said him played and coached at all levels of the professional game would help

Archie is back next year because we threw him so much money in a buyout so the optics of a slam dunk hire was there. We screwed up big time.

If its money related that gives him a fifth year, I can understand that. But im not gonna pretend like we should wait another year because of a shallow hiring pool.

We aren't poaching a big name without an enormous sum of money involved. We have taken a permanent step down in our program until we have a new collection of major accomplishments over several seasons to account for. Archie didnt get a "major rebuild" to take over like so many would love to believe. But now we are truly in that boat. The name of the next coach isn't nearly as important as the complete upheaval of our programs culture in the short and mid term future.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier0908! said:

There-in lies our problem. We take a chance on another mid-major coach, that appears to be up-and-coming. Do we capture lighting in a bottle? Or, is it fools gold similar to Archie?

I think Archie gets year five, but if (when) TJD leaves, he doesn’t have a chance. 

Nothing wrong with hiring mid-major coaches. Beard was hired from Arkansas Little Rock. Jay Wright was hired from Hofstra. Butler was a mid-major when Brad Stevens became a household name. Tony Bennett was hired from Washington State, which might as well be a mid-major. You just need to identify the right guy.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am not normally a guy who wants to just hire an IU guy but it mightjust be the time.  I don't want to go the mid major route again and maybe it would be better for a guy who knows IU and their fans

Michigan did this and its working great so far. This isn't as gloom and doom of a route as it may seem potentially.

What we don't need is another AD trying to convince everyone they found a diamond in the rough. Culture over everything at this point.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to Keith Smart on a podcast I came away very impressed with him so I would look at him.  He said he had interviewed for a couple of college jobs including IU.  He said his lack of recruiting was a big reason for not getting a better look.  He told them all kids want to go to the next level and him being in the NBA would be a big selling point.  He said him played and coached at all levels of the professional game would help

I think Smart would make a very good college coach.  I don't understand why Cheaney always gets mentioned ahead of Smart.  Smart has NBA coaching experience, and quite honestly, got a raw deal with the Kings,  

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Keith Smart has been my darkhorse candidate for the IU job for a while now. 

2 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Keith Smart has been my darkhorse candidate for the IU job for a while now. 

I think that would.be the route I would go. The podcast was hosted by AJ Guyton and saw it on YouTube and it was pretty good.  It is on the field of 68 podcast and AJ has had a lot of older IU players on there

Basketball isn't that frickin hard. Each team has 5 guys on the floor. Be in good condition, hit your damn  free throws, hit anything really. 

There is some strategy involved but it's ultimately a very simple game. 

Pass, move, score. 

But shooting almost 70% from three point range is absolutely ridiculous.

But, it's been a constant failure during CAMs tenure.  We get lit up with the 3 ball in probably 60+% of the games. 

I like the guy but I'm out. I wish him success in the future but it ain't happening at IU. 😔

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do you remember which podcast? I’d like to check it out. 

Wait, so you're telling me a system that focuses on packing the lane on defense and pounding the paint on offense struggles to work in 2021? I'm absolutely shocked 🙄

I didn't like this hire from day 1. Nothing I've seen has changed that opinion at all. I almost never post on the basketball board because I didn't want to be a downer, but I'm not surprised at all we're at this point.

33 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We are too big of wussies and goodie 2 shoes to get a real winner around here.  However, maybe we could offer Painter and he could leverage yet again another pay raise only to spurn the suitor(IU).

The administration is afraid of another controversial coach. What IU needs to understand is this, they are a State School and without a productive Basketball Program the University would be an afterthought.  Indiana University needs a successful Basketball program to be relevant.

Yeah, they have Kelly School of Business.  But what else? Business degrees are easy. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

He doesn't want to coach college basketball

I know we have had this debate before but you still have to send out feelers.  Put together as much money as you can and really pump the idea of bringing your childhood favorite program back to glory.  Not saying he would come but you have to make it enough for him to truly dig deep On it.

But if you can’t get Beard or someone like Brad for next year then i am kind of not sure what makes the most sense to do with Archie.

It may be the booze talking but part of me also still thinks there are a lot of games to play this year.  I freaking hate another loss to Purdue but still a lot of chances to right the season.

I’ve had a chance to cool down. Pretty ticked at the effort level of our upper class man. Guess we will see this thing through. See how the season ends up and then look at the program going into next year. If Trayce is gone this program is going to finish bottom of the pack regardless and a new coach will be fine. Not like we even have a good recruiting clAss coming in. 

Even if kids leave the transfer portal will be full of prospects and we probably won’t do any worse than with Miller. If Trayce stays then you run it back and see if Archies kids will respond...but by end of next year you have to make the decision and all arrows are pointing to a new coach unless this team wakes up and starts fighting for their coach. 

Archie is in the twilight of his IU coaching career, whether it is 2 more months or 14.  I've tried to resist this line of thinking because the IU basketball program is in such a tenuous state that we needed Archie to be the guy. 

But when you can't beat your in-state rival, can't finish above .500 in conference, and the recruiting takes a downturn it's just incredibly difficult to recover.  This is why I've been saying how problematic the recruiting misses were for 2021.  Recruits bring hope for better future teams and we've got one 100 ranked C coming in next year. 

I don't see how this ends well.  And I can't say I have confidence the pattern won't continue.  I don't see why an established, winning coach at a Power 5 team or even a hot young mid-major up and comer would look at the program and want to jump in without having some sort of emotional tie to IU basketball.  So maybe we are left with an "IU guy" and that's the lightning in the bottle this program needs?

Archived