It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

I would consider myself an Archie supporter, even after tonight. I don't think any one game can ever justify firing a coach... but if we miss the tournament and lose to Purdue again this year I think we may find the funds to make a move. 

But who to get? I think you zero in on an elite guy and go with a blank check. For me, that's Tony Bennett, but I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to who is the blank check guy. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I would consider myself an Archie supporter, even after tonight. I don't think any one game can ever justify firing a coach... but if we miss the tournament and lose to Purdue again this year I think we may find the funds to make a move. 

But who to get? I think you zero in on an elite guy and go with a blank check. For me, that's Tony Bennett, but I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to who is the blank check guy. 

Don't think anyone of that caliber will be available so I to the point of bring in an IU guy like Keith Smart.  Have him bring in an experience former HC as his lead assistant.

Archie will be around for one more year. His ONLY hope at this point is to try and convince TJD to return for one more season. Not that I think that happens, because he’ll likely go pro and we’ll likely be looking for a replacement in 15 months.

In my famous (Next Coach)post on the previous site, I asked,”Do we go after a young, energetic coach, who would likely be around for 25+ years to resurrect the program? Or do we go with a successful, experienced coach that will make an immediate impact but only for 10-15 years?”

I definitely think the latter would be better for our program.

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Archie will be around for one more year. His ONLY hope at this point is to try and convince TJD to return for one more season. Not that I think that happens, because he’ll likely go pro and we’ll likely be looking for a replacement in 15 months.

In my famous (Next Coach)post on the previous site, I asked,”Do we go after a young, energetic coach, who would likely be around for 25+ years to resurrect the program? Or do we go with a successful, experienced coach that will make an immediate impact but only for 10-15 years?”

I definitely think the latter would be better for our program.

Any suggestions?  

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Wait, so you're telling me a system that focuses on packing the lane on defense and pounding the paint on offense struggles to work in 2021? I'm absolutely shocked 🙄

I didn't like this hire from day 1. Nothing I've seen has changed that opinion at all. I almost never post on the basketball board because I didn't want to be a downer, but I'm not surprised at all we're at this point.

Lol that’s the part that gets me the most.  The identity of the Indiana Hoosiers, in the Year of Our Lord 2021, is literally to allow the other team to destroy us from three while shooting as few threes as possible ourselves.  But we at least we get to the line a lot, where we shoot one of the worst percentages in the league.  Real galaxy brain stuff.

Something has been completely off with this program for 4 years and I'm dumbfounded by it. I'll never forget Archie's first Hoosier Hysteria. I wasn't expecting it to be like 2013 or anything, the team wasn't that good, but I thought the fans would go crazy over Archie being announced at the event and the anticipation of a new coach. I was excited to watch. Then he got announced and came out and you could hear a pin drop. It was almost awkward. 

That kind of sums up the last 4 years. Anticipation at various points, but always coming up short and disappointing. I've said this numerous times, but I thought Archie was going to change the culture of the program. I thought he was going to be a pitbull coach who's teams reflected his personality. 

I expected the talent to take a little bit of time, but I thought while we waited we would be like Wisconsin, Michigan State and Purdue as far as the attitude, effort and tenacity. I thought Archie was going to build an identity and a culture and then as he got it up and running it would be infused with talent. 

None of these things have come to fruition. Like others I'm an Archie supporter, but geez at some point you have to win. At some point you have to stop losing games like NW at home. At some point you have to string a run of Big Ten games together. At some point you have to win the important swing games that are the difference between 3rd place and 8th place. At some point you have to be the team nobody else wants to play. 

Finally at some point you have to beat Purdue. You just do. 

With all of that said, I don't think you fire Archie just to bring in another mid-major. You have to go big-game hunting and then if that doesn't work you have to bring in a coach with a proven Power 5 record. If you swing on the big fish, maybe you call someone like Rick Barnes? He's got a good thing going at Tennessee, but IU still does carry some cache. 

But, I'm nearing the point of where I was with Crean at the end. I don't really care if they fire him if this year goes south. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Something has been completely off with this program for 4 years and I'm dumbfounded by it. I'll never forget Archie's first Hoosier Hysteria. I wasn't expecting it to be like 2013 or anything, the teams wasn't that good, but I thought the fans would go crazy over Archie being announced at the event and the anticipation of a new coach. I was excited to watch. Then he got announced and came out and you could hear a pin drop. It was almost awkward. 

That kind of sums up the last 4 years. Anticipation at various points, but always coming up short and disappointing. I've said this numerous times, but I thought Archie was going to change the culture of the program. I thought he was going to be a pitbull coach who's teams reflected his personality. 

I expected the talent to take a little bit of time, but I thought while we waited we would be like Wisconsin, Michigan State and Purdue as far as the attitude, effort and tenacity. I thought Archie was going to build an identity and a culture and then as he got it up and running it would be infused with talent. 

None of these things have come to fruition. Like others I'm an Archie support, but geez at some point you have to win. At some point you have to stop losing games like NW at home. At some point you have to string a run of Big Ten games together. At some point you have to win the important swing games that are the different between 3rd place and 8th place. Finally at some point you have to beat Purdue. You just do. 

With all of that said, I don't think you fire Archie just to bring in another mid-major. You have to go big-game hunting and then if that doesn't work you have to bring in a coach with a proven Power 5 record. If you swing on the big fish, maybe you call someone like Rick Barnes? He's got a good thing going at Tennessee, but IU still does carry some cache. 

But, I'm nearing the point of where I was with Crean at the end. I don't really care if they fire him if this year goes south. 

I hate being negative but I am with.you on Archie because I think hisveta at iU is about over

Just now, IU Scott said:

I hate being negative but I am with.you on Archie because I think hisveta at iU is about over

I hate it too, because I really like Archie. I really want him to succeed. I'd love it. 

But it just seems like something has been missing for 4 years, and I keep waiting for that missing thing to change or get worked out, and it never does. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I hate it too, because I really like Archie. I really want him to succeed. I'd love it. 

But it just seems like something has been missing for 4 years, and I keep waiting for that missing thing to change or get worked out, and it never does. 

Like I have said I was not in favor of the hiring but wanted him to have a chance.

I see where a lot us says that we need to have a no non sense type of players and who hayes to lose.  I wonder how many players like that is out there today because they play so much AAU ball.  It seems like they get use to losing and don't thinks it is a big deal since they have another game in a few hours.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I have said I was not in favor of the hiring but wanted him to have a chance.

I remember Crean's last year when it was becoming a real thought he might get fired. At first Archie wasn't too high on my list, I wanted/hoped IU could get a big name, but once it became apparent that was going to happen, I read more about Archie and then he moved up my list. By the time he was hired and I read more, I thought maybe we have a young Izzo here.

Again, I thought we were getting a pitbull, no-nonsense coach who's team adopted his personality. A culture builder. A mix of Izzo/Bennett or something. 

Unfortunately, none of that has come to fruition. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I remember Crean's last year when it was becoming a real thought he might get fired. At first Archie wasn't too high on my list, I wanted/hoped IU could get a big name, but once it became apparent that was going to happen, I read more about Archie and then he moved up my list. By the time he was hired and I read more, I thought maybe we have a young Izzo here.

Again, I thought we were getting a pitbull, no-nonsense coach who's team adopted his personality. A culture builder. A mix of Izzo/Bennett or something. 

Unfortunately, none of that has come to fruition. 

My first choice was Marshall or Bennett

Archie screwed himself.  I dont mind the philosophy of the pack line defense, but the lack of flexibility with it is pretty dumb. 

It seems to me with CAM, its pack line or nothing.  Play pack line as your base defense but when it breaks down, which it almost always does, go man to man until you can reset.

OR, just grow some balls and play face to face man to man.  

I dont think TJD staying does Archie any favors for his longevity as coach. Hes here now, what games are we closing by having TJD?

Hes a talented kid, im a big fan of him. But his offense has turned into drawing fouls if he's not on the fastbreak and he is a very below average free throw shooter. Hes not an NBA player currently, and him staying doesn't really resolve any issues already in front of us.

I just dont really see a path to redemption with any realistic roster we have next year.

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Something has been completely off with this program for 4 years and I'm dumbfounded by it. I'll never forget Archie's first Hoosier Hysteria. I wasn't expecting it to be like 2013 or anything, the team wasn't that good, but I thought the fans would go crazy over Archie being announced at the event and the anticipation of a new coach. I was excited to watch. Then he got announced and came out and you could hear a pin drop. It was almost awkward. 

Then there was his first game. I was out that night and went to check the score on my phone. I seriously thought I was becoming dyslexic when I saw the halftime score. No matter how many coaches we end up bringing here, I doubt any of them will ever drop a bigger turd in their opening game. Holy sh*t that was bad. 

9 minutes ago, KDB said:

I don’t see Archie getting fired after this season unless we just have a complete meltdown, then I’d say there’s a chance.

Yes, the Purdue loss was bad and it was a really big game for us in many ways, but when it comes to this season, there’s still 13 games left in the regular season.. lots can happen. When it comes to getting in the tournament, I think 7-6 the rest of the way, putting us at 15-12 going into the B1G tourney, would have us projected in the field. 

I wish the NCAA Tournament could’ve been played last year. I think we would’ve won a game or two, but we’ll never know. Really sucks that Archie and the team didn’t have that opportunity.

I was just watching the highlights of our win against MSU last year at home. It reminded how much it hurts us not having any fans at home games. The energy of the fans plays a huge role. We’re missing them big time.

The meltdown is coming. We haven't even hit the toughest part of our schedule yet. Not to mention, Archie Miller has a history of teams completely falling apart late in the season. We went from 12-2 to 19-16 his second year, and from 15-4 to 20-12 last year. His teams falter down the stretch. No reason to think this movie ends any differently. 

18 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The meltdown is coming. We haven't even hit the toughest part of our schedule yet. Not to mention, Archie Miller has a history of teams completely falling apart late in the season. We went from 12-2 to 19-16 his second year, and from 15-4 to 20-12 last year. His teams falter down the stretch. No reason to think this movie ends any differently. 

I actually thought his teams play better from Jan/Feb on.   

Either way, this year with the schedule, I don’t see it.   Unless a drastic change is made. 

3 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Archie is in the twilight of his IU coaching career, whether it is 2 more months or 14.  I've tried to resist this line of thinking because the IU basketball program is in such a tenuous state that we needed Archie to be the guy. 

But when you can't beat your in-state rival, can't finish above .500 in conference, and the recruiting takes a downturn it's just incredibly difficult to recover.  This is why I've been saying how problematic the recruiting misses were for 2021.  Recruits bring hope for better future teams and we've got one 100 ranked C coming in next year. 

I don't see how this ends well.  And I can't say I have confidence the pattern won't continue.  I don't see why an established, winning coach at a Power 5 team or even a hot young mid-major up and comer would look at the program and want to jump in without having some sort of emotional tie to IU basketball.  So maybe we are left with an "IU guy" and that's the lightning in the bottle this program needs?

What emotional ties did Saban have at Alabama? What emotional ties did Brian Kelly have at Notre Dame?

His $10 million buyout in a pandemic will get him another year. After next season it drops to around $3 mil (of memory is correct). I think he gets another year, unless a booster steps up to buy him out. 

Archie was on my list to hire on reputation alone. He wasn’t at the top by any means, but on the list. I worried about his offense. Many games at Dayton were very low scoring. He didn’t do great at Dayton until that conferences top teams went to a new conference. That’s when his teams were at the top of the conference. Also, Dayton coaches seem to do well there but not elsewhere, but that’s just a warning sign to me. 

If we do move on it will be a IU guy bc the pool is so shallow. Be prepared for Smart, Fife, or Alford. Tony Bennett would be a natural replacement because he runs a better version of the same defense. Easier transition. But I don’t think Bennett leave Virginia. 

So let me get this straight here.

We should empty the checkbooks to keep investing all in into keeping Allen well staffed AND buy out Miller then gp all in to hire a big time coach - All during a pandemic with no revenue coming from the gates for the time being. 

Check.

Looking at the bright side: 

We still aren't all begging Justin Smith to bring his game experience and his Ed back to IU at the same time as we are willing to openly reconsider Sampson . 😆- in tbe same thread .....

So there just might be a glimmer of hope left for this to turn around.XD.

Now THAT would be desperate to see more wins!

Archived