It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hoosierdave said:

Thanks, it was honestly tough making that list because of how bad IU has fallen from national relevancy. I'd take any of them in a heart beat but I don't think any of them would consider . I just don't see why any of them would leave national title contending programs and start over from stretch with a passionate and impatient fan base like ours.

Agree completely. Any coach that has either won a national championship or is at a university committing the resources to win one would be nuts to come to IU. Why would Beard come, as an example? He has made it to the championship game, he coaches at a football school, in a football state, in a football conference. There are nowhere near the expectations of him at TT as there would be in the fishbowl that is Bloomington. 

You guys can say all you want, throw the money at them. Any coach successful enough to who would satisfy this fanbase has already made the money. If the pandemic has done nothing else positive, I think that it has brought to the forefront the concepts of job satisfaction, career contentment, the importance of family first...

Unless one of these guys is extremely unhappy in their current job, can't see IU being the carrot they would chase.

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This is Indiana.  I don't care about the naysayers.  You see if Stevens wants to raise the kids in Indiana or not because if you don't, Duke and carolina will try here soon.  And you don't come with some weak ass offer like UCLA to Cal.  You push the freaking chips in.  10 years 100 million.  You instantly become the basketball resurrection equivalent of Saban to Bama.  

If he says no you make similar baller offers to Wright, Bennett, and Beard.  I like Beards personality the best.  Bennet's style the least.  

If none of that works you get Cal with Fife and Lewis, and maybe Jordy is ready to come start his coaching career as a shooting coach.  

Stevens and his wife likes the NBA life style and he doesn't like recruiting.  In your mind the IU job might still look like a top job but to the coaches it is not.  You can go and offer those unrealistic guys but you will be turned down.  Mark Few has had many opportunities to leave but he has no desire to.  Watch the interview with him on CBS last year you would see why he is not leaving.  Why would guys with national championships like Bennett and Wright leave to come here.  They have proven they can win where they are at and has a lot less pressure than they would have at IU.  Like it or not our fans can be a detriment as well as a positive because f the unrealistic expectations put on this program.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree completely. Any coach that has either won a national championship or is at a university committing the resources to win one would be nuts to come to IU. Why would Beard come, as an example? He has made it to the championship game, he coaches at a football school, in a football state, in a football conference. There are nowhere near the expectations of him at TT as there would be in the fishbowl that is Bloomington. 

You guys can say all you want, throw the money at them. Any coach successful enough to who would satisfy this fanbase has already made the money. If the pandemic has done nothing else positive, I think that it has brought to the forefront the concepts of job satisfaction, career contentment, the importance of family first...

Unless one of these guys is extremely unhappy in their current job, can't see IU being the carrot they would chase.

IU is still a top 5 top in basketball, wish we paid like it.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t the people it’s the other administrators, the professors, it’s the behind the lines on ESPN...interviewing kids that their programs are being shut down, professors losing jobs etc etc while the head coach at IU gets 10 million to buzz off and then another 10 million for new coach to buy out his contract and first year salary. Once the media and everyone starts up all that stuff and it’s all directed at the president and AD etc they won’t be able to survive that kind of attack and press pushing for their removal. Activist students and others would be on campus protesting it just would look awful. I don’t see them taking that chance in the current culture we are in right now.

Well just have to agree to disagree on this one my man.  Happy Friday

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Stevens and his wife likes the NBA life style and he doesn't like recruiting.  In your mind the IU job might still look like a top job but to the coaches it is not.  You can go and offer those unrealistic guys but you will be turned down.  Mark Few has had many opportunities to leave but he has no desire to.  Watch the interview with him on CBS last year you would see why he is not leaving.  Why would guys with national championships like Bennett and Wright leave to come here.  They have proven they can win where they are at and has a lot less pressure than they would have at IU.  Like it or not our fans can be a detriment as well as a positive because f the unrealistic expectations put on this program.

Literally 2 naysayers followed up my post.  

If IU doesn't at least offer Stevens and see if they want to come home then burn the whole program down because Duke and Carolina both will here shortly.  

And I didn't have Few on my list because he isn't leaving and has made it clear.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Literally 2 naysayers followed up my post.  

If IU doesn't at least offer Stevens and see if they want to come home then burn the whole program down because Duke and Carolina both will here shortly.  

They can offer Stevens all they want but he is staying in the NBA. Also most people on here who are realistic that none of the big name coaches will leave their jobs for the IU job

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They can offer Stevens all they want but he is staying in the NBA. Also most people on here who are realistic that none of the big name coaches will leave their jobs for the IU job

Then we might as well stop crying and calling ourselves a historic blue blood and go home. 

And I'm so tired of people passing off an opinion as fact.  I know the Stevens have said they like the lifestyle better.  But no one knows if they would rather come home or not so let's stop acting like we know it as fact.  

Wright has turned down louisville and I think he made it clear no to UCLA and their trash embarrassments of offers.  We are probably on Louisville's level and he just seems like and east coaster.  I wouldn't be surprised if he would take a look at UNC, duke or kentucky though.  And Bennett.  Clearly wasn't ready for the waters back in 08.  He is now.  And we don't know if him or Beard would leave so let's all stop acting like we do know.  

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I've not lit the torch or gathered the pitchforks just yet (and I do have an extra if anybody needs one :D) but I'll say 3 things concerning Brad Stevens...

I know at one time, he said IU was his "dream job."

Never say never...

And it doesn't hurt to ask...

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You're probably right but you don't know any more than anyone else does.  You can keep repeating this mantra if it makes you feel better.  But i have over the last 30 years heard more than my fair share of coaches stand up in front of cameras or reporters and swear up and down they are not leaving or would never take another job, only to do it days, weeks, months later. 

So saying Never is a suckers choice that you keep painting yourself into.  Is it likely, probably not, but you are basing your steadfast response on what he has said publicly.  And we all know, everyone lies, they just don't know they are doing it at the time.

45 minutes ago, HoosierAlice said:

Wasn't implying you did. Just noting that these things are really fluid and can change quickly. I will say that I question any list that has Bruce Weber as a top 25 coach.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're probably right but you don't know any more than anyone else does.  You can keep repeating this mantra if it makes you feel better.  But i have over the last 30 years heard more than my fair share of coaches stand up in front of cameras or reporters and swear up and down they are not leaving or would never take another job, only to do it days, weeks, months later. 

So saying Never is a suckers choice that you keep painting yourself into.  Is it likely, probably not, but you are basing your steadfast response on what he has said publicly.  And we all know, everyone lies, they just don't know they are doing it at the time.

Urban Meyer does this every 3-4 years

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've not lit the torch or gathered the pitchforks just yet (and I do have an extra if anybody needs one :D) but I'll say 3 things concerning Brad Stevens...

I know at one time, he said IU was his "dream job."

Never say never...

And it doesn't hurt to ask...

Never said we should not ask but people who think he would accept is unrealistic.

Half joking, half serious, I think IU's best chance of getting a quality coach is hoping that the FBI scandal leads to schools letting them go... also not saying I think they are better than CAM or id want them to be the next coach at IU but coaches I think that would consider the job (not on my original realistic list):

-Eric Mussleman

-Ed Cooley

-Greg McDermott

-Cunzo Martin

-Nate Oats

-Steve Wojciechowski

-Brad Brownell

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I have no idea who the next coach should be, but it needs to happen this spring. Waiting another year is pointless and will only cause more damage. Archie Miller is suffocating this program. 

I dread a 5th year where he is potentially a dead man walking just waiting for the inevitable to happen.  Barring a major turnaround to finish off this season, I will have zero excitement or anticipation heading into next year if he comes back.  

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

Half joking, half serious, I think IU's best chance of getting a quality coach is hoping that the FBI scandal leads to schools letting them go... also not saying I think they are better than CAM or id want them to be the next coach at IU but coaches I think that would consider the job (not on my original realistic list):

-Eric Mussleman

-Ed Cooley

-Greg McDermott

-Cunzo Martin

-Nate Oats

-Steve Wojciechowski

-Brad Brownell

Mussleman is a guy I'm intrigued by.  I'm not saying he is the guy, but he is a guy I would be interested to learn more about.  

7 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

-Eric Mussleman- maybe

-Ed Cooley- no thanks

-Greg McDermott- maybe but did not do well at Iowa St.

-Cunzo Martin- no thanks

-Nate Oats- been good but don't like his philosophy of analytics

-Steve Wojciechowski- no thanks

-Brad Brownell- resume not good enough

see responses

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This is Indiana.  I don't care about the naysayers.  You see if Stevens wants to raise the kids in Indiana or not because if you don't, Duke and carolina will try here soon.  And you don't come with some weak ass offer like UCLA to Cal.  You push the freaking chips in.  10 years 100 million.  You instantly become the basketball resurrection equivalent of Saban to Bama.  

This times 100 Million.  If Dolson does not ask and make a legitimate offer to Stevens, then he has failed at his job.  Stevens is candidate A, B, & C.  If he still says no, you move on from there.  But, don't even insult the man by forming a search committee unless he says no.  He's it.  He's the Holy Grail.

With the circumstances we had this year with Covid and whatnot, seems to me there could be too many factors in play that make Archie for sure be back next year. I would like to think however that if the rest of this season turns into a dud that he isn’t kept with the excuse of COVID as his crutch. Plenty of teams out there killing it and are really good despite the crazy year we are having. Really makes me wonder if by chance we lose most of our games the rest of the way, if it’ll be too much to let COVID be an excuse to keep him another year. Plus like some have said, the buyout. If we implode the rest of this season are we actually going to have people willing to cut ties in the spring and avoid a dead 5th year. With Archie, I think this year was the best shot at beating PU and he couldn’t get it done...and now next year they get Furst and Kaufman to ram down our throats, so I just don’t see us having a good shot at them with Archie next year either.  

The only way I could see one of the top tier guys coming to Bloomington is if his ego (and all of these guys have a huge one) leads him to believe he can resurrect a moribund program. If it's important enough to the guy to be the one that goes down in history as the savior, then maybe he could be lured to IU.

Before his meltdowns at Wichita St. became public, I would have viewed Marshall in this category. Maybe Pearl. Maybe Rick Barnes.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I went to church with Prohm...great guy and a good coach but to me he wasn’t a Cronin or Godfried or Kennedy...he is learning like several of those guys that winning at a power 5 level is super super tough. Took over a Talented team but I’m not sure he has the chops to win big. Being a big fish in a small pond is much easier than a small fish in a big pond. I think Archie is learning that. 

I live in Ames and this seems to be what everyone is saying, but they want him gone.  Maybe Archie will go to ISU?

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

see responses

Lmao appreciate the feedback. Like i said, some of these names I wouldn't pick over Archie but I am casting a wide net here. As I mentioned earlier, it's hard to make a list of realistic choices. IU isn't a sexy job and is arguably the toughest gig in all of college basketball. 

Archived