It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The only way I could see one of the top tier guys coming to Bloomington is if his ego (and all of these guys have a huge one) leads him to believe he can resurrect a moribund program. If it's important enough to the guy to be the one that goes down in history as the savior, then maybe he could be lured to IU.

Before his meltdowns at Wichita St. became public, I would have viewed Marshall in this category. Maybe Pearl. Maybe Rick Barnes.

Pearl has the ability but he's on the short list of not happening with our administration.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Oats would be my worst nightmare because he is purely about analytics. He wants just 3's and layups.  Here are the percentages of how their points are scored

Points in the lane 43%

From 3's 36%

From the line 19%

Mid range 2%

Threes and layups are the two best shots in the game. They're the only shots you should take. This complaint is basically, "He just wants to win."

I think the only current college coach who is considered a top coach that we might have a chance is Beard at TT.  I think next you would maybe look at a guy who is out of coaching right now like Matta or Belien. You can look at guys who are at a power 5 program but you won't be getting coaches from the top programs.

I have not been in favor of just hiring an IU guy because they are an IU guy.  Like I said last night I have been impressed by Keith Smart and he would be the one I would look at.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

If Brad Stevens were to say yes, I don't think there would be any problem raising the money for Archie's buyout.  Anyone else think that would be a problem?  Mark Cuban would benefit from both getting Stevens to IU and getting him out of the NBA.  

Honestly.  How much recruiting is Coach K doing these days?  Once you build it they will come.  

Speaking of not wanting to recruit 24/7 365 and the Stevens family factor.  

2 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

Threes and layups are the two best shots in the game. They're the only shots you should take. This complaint is basically, "He just wants to win."

The best shot to take is the open shot no matter from what range.  This thinking is what is ruining college offenses and the quality of offenses.  Offenses scored more before there was a shot clock or a 3 point line so if this is the best offense then why is scoring so down.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think the only current college coach who is considered a top coach that we might have a chance is Beard at TT.  I think next you would maybe look at a guy who is out of coaching right now like Matta or Belien. You can look at guys who are at a power 5 program but you won't be getting coaches from the top programs.

I have not been in favor of just hiring an IU guy because they are an IU guy.  Like I said last night I have been impressed by Keith Smart and he would be the one I would look at.

Can we stop mentioning Beilein.  I loved the guy but he clearly messed up and messed up bad in cancel culture.  He is done on the highest levels.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Can we stop mentioning Beilein.  I loved the guy but he clearly messed up and messed up bad in cancel culture.  He is done on the highest levels.  

I would take him in a heartbeat too.  I could care less if he got cancelled for saying something stupid.  I say stupid things on this forum every time i type something.  This response is probably stupid

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

We mostly disagree on everything Scott.  On this one, we still disagree but I can see why you don't like him.  I do like him though and think he would make an immediate and positive impact on IU.

Just like Sampson they both are great on the court coaches and would like that but I can't be behind bringing in guys who breaks the rules.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly.  How much recruiting is Coach K doing these days?  Once you build it they will come.  

Speaking of not wanting to recruit 24/7 365 and the Stevens family factor.  

Exactly,  Stevens can probably have his pick of recruiting assistants because if I was a coach that had future aspirations, Stevens would be a great one to learn from.  And, former IU players would probably line up at the chance to be an assistant if the desire is to have some legacy on the bench.  It's a no-brainer.  I don't care if there is a .000001 chance.  You have to get a firm 'No' from Stevens before you do anything else.  

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This times 100 Million.  If Dolson does not ask and make a legitimate offer to Stevens, then he has failed at his job.  Stevens is candidate A, B, & C.  If he still says no, you move on from there.  But, don't even insult the man by forming a search committee unless he says no.  He's it.  He's the Holy Grail.

I suppose... but it would have to be done on the down-lo so that we would never know it happened unless Stevens says yes. This cannot become a fiasco like UCLA. We can’t become more of a laughingstock than we already are 

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Then we might as well stop crying and calling ourselves a historic blue blood and go home. 

And I'm so tired of people passing off an opinion as fact.  I know the Stevens have said they like the lifestyle better.  But no one knows if they would rather come home or not so let's stop acting like we know it as fact.  

Wright has turned down louisville and I think he made it clear no to UCLA and their trash embarrassments of offers.  We are probably on Louisville's level and he just seems like and east coaster.  I wouldn't be surprised if he would take a look at UNC, duke or kentucky though.  And Bennett.  Clearly wasn't ready for the waters back in 08.  He is now.  And we don't know if him or Beard would leave so let's all stop acting like we do know.  

Where is this $10mil coming from?  That is not the IU way and that is a fact.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The best shot to take is the open shot no matter from what range.  This thinking is what is ruining college offenses and the quality of offenses.  Offenses scored more before there was a shot clock or a 3 point line so if this is the best offense then why is scoring so down.

The best shots are open and balanced. An open layup should be about 90% (1.8 PPS), an open mid-range jumper should be about 50% (1.0 PPS) and an open three should also be about 50% (1.5 PPS). Basically, you're sacrificing half of a point, minimum, every time you take a mid-range jumper. If you put enough movement into the possession, you should be able to create an open layup or three.

No offense but not getting the

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would take him in a heartbeat too.  I could care less if he got cancelled for saying something stupid.  I say stupid things on this forum every time i type something.  This response is probably stupid

That's where I am at too. Last time I checked, Bob Knight was greeted with a standing ovation by our fan base when he returned to Assembly Hall and do I need to remind people of his distasteful past...

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will stop with the Belien talk if you stop with the Stevens talk

Scott.  If you are an administrator needing to hire a basketball coach, and you don't call Brad Stevens, then you have failed at your job.  I don't care if it is IU, Duke, UK, or Montana State.  You ask the man to see what it would take.  If he tells you no, so be it.  But, you have to ask,

So, no, we should not stop talking about Brad Stevens.

I'd like to get a coach from the following 3:

Beard

Drew

Matta

I don't think Stevens would come but IU should make the call.  One sleeper coach for me would be Bobby Hurley.  Wasn't he at Buffalo before Oats.  I like Hurley better. 

Anyway, if IU does pull a trigger, I hope they send out feelers behind the scenes and go after a target.   Texas did that replacing Strong then Herman in football and quickly got their guy.  None of this dump Archie stuff then taking a long time to figure it out. I'd rather keep Archie than strike out in a search then hire someone to just hire someone. 

Archived