It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

3 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

I don't either.  But unless they are ready to shell out a serious contract for top level money, who wants to come here?  Why would a coach come here rather than say...TAMU or Texas Tech or Maryland or Washington or other mid level power 5 teams? To be subject to higher expectations with less resources?  So, the reasons I think it will be an "IU guy" are 1) admin won't pony up big dollars and 2) without ties to the program, a lateral move from another Power 5 program would be a hard sell and 3) an up and coming mid-major will pay attention to Archie's tenure here.  

I agree.  Which is why I said you are going to get Alford and he will probably try and pull maybe one other former player along with him along with some of his normal assistants.

I am not saying it is the glamorous pick.  I am not saying he is in my Top 5 choices.  I am not saying that he is a great coach.  What I am saying is that Dolson has connections to the former players and I have heard that the former players, particularly the Knight guys, want an IU legacy in that seat.  When you take all that into account, Steve is the "safe" hire for Dolson.  He won't break the bank, he has P5 experience and has had some success at that level, he was the Golden Boy of IU at one time....he is going to be high on the list.  I will be shocked if pressure is not on for Dolson to hire someone like him.  You could make a case for Whitman and Smart too, but Steve is the main IU guy with D1 head coaching experience at a P5 conference out there.  If not him you are looking at NBA guys or assistants.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honesty think I’ve gotten to the point where it’s a case of I don’t want to see this team fail and will still root them on like always, but if they do then it’s gonna be an “oh well” feeling and not be as upset about it as i usually would have been (which would then lead to being anxious to see if a change is made). If Archie can get it done then great, I’ll be glad if he can be our guy, but if he can’t I’m not gonna feel bad for him and curious to see if enough is enough. I’m not hoping for failure, but at the same time want whatever needs to happen to change this program for the better. 
   Sad thing this, I have more confidence in screwing things up the rest of this season and needing a change to turn things around, rather than the current regime being the ones turning it around. It’s hard to swallow thinking that the only way the program could become great again and make a change is to lose.

Like I said though, if Arch can turn this around this season and prove something then great. I would never root for the kids to lose...but just think that’s what would have to happen if we want a change. 

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Lateral move.  I am sick of hearing that.  Archie was a mid-major coach and he has failed.  Brownell was a mid-major coach and now at Clemson at least he can beat Purdue.

Wether you are sick of hearing it or not it’s the truth.  He’s not any better than Archie.  Yeah he beat Purdue this year but man look at his track record🤮

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

What about McDermott, don’t think he wants the pressure but he’s done well.  Although I guess Creighton is under investigation right now. 

He also didn't do well at Iowa St. and I get a Crean vibe from him.  Great offense and tries to put score the opponent.

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Wether you are sick of hearing it or not it’s the truth.  He’s not any better than Archie.  Yeah he beat Purdue this year but man look at his track record🤮

Winning at a fare rate at a football school....hell, we don't have a guy that can win at a basketball school.  

43 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Unless Saban starts coaching basketball,  10 million isnt happening for a college b ball coach

Why?  If Mark Cuban is sick and tired of his Alma Mater sucking at basketball, what's to prevent him from saying 'Hey, I'll donate about 5 million more a year to the University if you hire Brad Stevens,   But, if you hire Joe Schmo from that mid-major, I won't' 

If I'm the President and Board of Trustees, I have to listen to that.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Why?  If Mark Cuban is sick and tired of his Alma Mater sucking at basketball, what's to prevent him from saying 'Hey, I'll donate about 5 million more a year to the University if you hire Brad Stevens,   But, if you hire Joe Schmo from that mid-major, I won't' 

Can't do that....Scott says so.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Saban makes 9.3 million a year and is the greatest college football coach to ever wall this planet...  way more money to be had in football, as opposed to basketball.  It's as simple as number of asses in the seats

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Didn’t Cuban say he won’t directly donate to the basketball program in some sort of stance against the NCAA? 

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You check with some of the top names but I know they won't come. 

How do you know that the top names would not come?

I'll tell you this.  If you offered me $100MM over 10 years, to coach IU, I'm coming.

And, guess what, for all you know, I am Brad Stevens.  Be truthful, have you aver seen me post during a Celtics game?  You can't be sure.  And, even if I did, it may have been halftime.  Or, when Kyrie was on the team, I could have done it while he dribbled out the shot clock.

You can speculate, but you don't KNOW unless you ask. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

How do you know that the top names would not come?

I'll tell you this.  If you offered me $100MM over 10 years, to coach IU, I'm coming.

And, guess what, for all you know, I am Brad Stevens.  Be truthful, have you aver seen me post during a Celtics game?  You can't be sure.  And, even if I did, it may have been halftime.  Or, when Kyrie was on the team, I could have done it while he dribbled out the shot clock.

You can speculate, but you don't KNOW unless you ask. 

Why would a Wight or a Bennett leave a place where they won a championship.  They make a lot of money and are pretty well have a job for life where they are at.

12 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Nate Oats is the name to keep your eyes on over the next 400 or so days. 

I think Nate Oats is a good coach but not one that would make IU a legit title contending program as soon as he arrived. I also don’t see him leaving a no pressure job, plus he has one of the best recruiting classes coming in next year so it would be tough to walk away from that. 

Archived