It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching a national podcast with Jeff Goodman and another guy who I don't know.  There are discussing Archie and his job security.  Goodman said he didn't think Archie was a fit for IU and would have been a better fit for OSU because IU is to much of a fish  bowl.  He also said if IU makes a change then who could they hire that would be better.  He said there is no chance of Stevens or Beard so who is out there.

At the end they started talking about fans expectations.  I guess there was a post game show with AJ Guyton and Raphael Davis from Purdue. Davis said Purdue fans start out the season hoping for a big ten title and everything else is gravy.  They came to IU and said the fans start out hoping for a national title but this thinking brings a lot of disappointment. So these national guys think IU fans expectations are a little unrealistic and that is part of the problem.

13 minutes ago, ephul said:

See below. Plenty big time names defended Beilein. 

He didn't "get sniffed" because there were no openings that warranted a "sniffing"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article/sports/nba/cavaliers/shaquille-oneal-says-cavs-need-to-man-up-over-john-beilein-thugs-gaffe/95-454755a0-d94a-4be7-89fb-74c7b30f6f6d

Those guys did not play for him.  Time will tell.  Mark this and you can come back and tell me you told me so.  

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At the end they started talking about fans expectations.  I guess there was a post game show with AJ Guyton and Raphael Davis from Purdue. Davis said Purdue fans start out the season hoping for a big ten title and everything else is gravy.  They came to IU and said the fans start out hoping for a national title but this thinking brings a lot of disappointment. So these national guys think IU fans expectations are a little unrealistic and that is part of the problem.

Nobody has been talking National Title here for at least 8 years.  I think a coaches expectations are to build a National Title contender but nobody is expecting that to be a yearly thing.  Where this program may be more difficult is our expectation of the floor, not the ceiling.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think most of our fans expect national titles, or even Final Fours anymore. We just want good basketball, and we aren't close to getting it. 

16 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Nobody has been talking National Title here for at least 8 years.  I think a coaches expectations are to build a National Title contender but nobody is expecting that to be a yearly thing.  Where this program may be more difficult is our expectation of the floor, not the ceiling.

Exactly. I don’t think expecting to be over 0.500 in the B1G and solidly in the tournament are outrageous expectations. This whole our expectations are too high narrative is total bunk. 

20 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That might be and we know that but this is the perception nationally

Todd Leary brought up a good point about the rivalry with Purdue.  He knows for a fact that Matt Painter truly hates IU but our coaches have no clue what it means.  You can tell the difference between the two rosters on who does understand the rivalry.

I know younger players don't remember the good old days but when they are here they need to learn what it means.  Listening to Yogi on the podcast made me realize how the younger players don't really know the history of the program.  AJ ask all of his guess who is on your first team all IU team.  Yogi had IT but the rest were like Jefferies, Cody and VO.  I am sorry those guys would be lucky to make my 3rd team all IU 

50 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is so correct. Fan expectations are not to win a national title at this point. We literally just want to compete. Losing a game happens, but losing games and not even competing in the game is crazy. 

1 minute ago, Ferg 32 said:

Thank you.

Be prepared for the initiation/hazing. It’s a normal process for this forum but can sometimes be slightly uncomfortable.

If you’ve seen the movie ‘Old School’ and are familiar with the character ‘Blue’ the. That should give you an idea of what your in for. Just slightly worse. 

The ones to watch out for are the aliases that have red font. Oh, and a fella named 5fouls. Don’t ask why he’s called that...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Watching a national podcast with Jeff Goodman and another guy who I don't know.  There are discussing Archie and his job security.  Goodman said he didn't think Archie was a fit for IU and would have been a better fit for OSU because IU is to much of a fish  bowl.  He also said if IU makes a change then who could they hire that would be better.  He said there is no chance of Stevens or Beard so who is out there.

Frog strangling bird - Never ever give up! | Funny quotes, Funny pictures,  Funny

22 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Be prepared for the initiation/hazing. It’s a normal process for this forum but can sometimes be slightly uncomfortable.

If you’ve seen the movie ‘Old School’ and are familiar with the character ‘Blue’ the. That should give you an idea of what your in for. Just slightly worse. 

The ones to watch out for are the aliases that have red font. Oh, and a fella named 5fouls. Don’t ask why he’s called that...

Don't dis me just because I'm irresistible.

Fat man Pictures, Images, Stock Photos | Depositphotos®

A few random thoughts...

- Can we stop with the Archie said offense is hard? Watch the entire press conference to hear the statement in context. He was saying offense is hard if you're going to shoot 3-for-19 from the 3pt line and 50% from the free throw line. If that's how you're going to shoot then scoring points will be difficult and you then force yourself to have to be 100% lights out defensively for 40 minutes and that they didn't do that. He wasn't like, "golly gee, guys. This offense stuff is super hard".

- I listened to the entire postgame, how in the world did not one media member ask Archie about never beating Purdue in 4 years and losing so many straight to them at home? I don't expect him to give a productive answer to that, but how do you not at least ask it?

- A few of us have discussed this idea that something is just missing the last 4 years. Of course you can point to shooting, 3pt defense, etc., etc., but it goes beyond that. It's culture, it's attitude, it's passion. Those things have been missing for 4 years and those are the things I expected Archie to bring right off the bat. Check out the below tweet:

I saw that tweet during the day yesterday and immediately thought, "I miss watching IU players that played with passion and emotion. I miss feeling a connection to the players and feeling invested in them and the team". 

I'm tired of watching IU players look like they don't care. I miss watching Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls, Sheehey, Yogi, Troy Williams, Thomas Bryant, Nick Zeisloft. Say what you want about some of them, but they played with passion. They played with emotion. IU players under Archie look like lifeless robots most of the time. 

This is not me saying I miss Crean, he brought passion, but that was about it. I want a coach to bring the passion back to IU basketball, but do it with smart coaching and good recruiting.

Archived