It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

A few random thoughts...

- Can we stop with the Archie said offense is hard? Watch the entire press conference to hear the statement in context. He was saying offense is hard if you're going to shoot 3-for-19 from the 3pt line and 50% from the free throw line. If that's how you're going to shoot then scoring points will be difficult and you then force yourself to have to be 100% lights out defensively for 40 minutes and that they didn't do that. He wasn't like, "golly gee, guys. This offense stuff is super hard".

- I listened to the entire postgame, how in the world did not one media member ask Archie about never beating Purdue in 4 years and losing so many straight to them at home? I don't expect him to give a productive answer to that, but how do you not at least ask it?

- A few of us have discussed this idea that something is just missing the last 4 years. Of course you can point to shooting, 3pt defense, etc., etc., but it goes beyond that. It's culture, it's attitude, it's passion. Those things have been missing for 4 years and those are the things I expected Archie to bring right off the bat. Check out the below tweet:

I saw that tweet during the day yesterday and immediately thought, "I miss watching IU players that played with passion and emotion. I miss feeling a connection to the players and feeling invested in them and the team". 

I'm tired of watching IU players look like they don't care. I miss watching Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls, Sheehey, Yogi, Troy Williams, Thomas Bryant, Nick Zeisloft. Say what you want about some of them, but they played with passion. They played with emotion. IU players under Archie look like lifeless robots most of the time. 

This is not me saying I miss Crean, he brought passion, but that was about it. I want a coach to bring the passion back to IU basketball, but do it with smart coaching and good recruiting.

100% agree.  The only identity when people talk about IU is saying they play the packline.  Well that is Dick Bennett....not an identity.  There is no passion, or even fundamentals from the guards.  Kids that have been in the program for 3+ years have trouble passing, setting up to shoot, and they drive with their head down.  I do think our posts have shown development.

What's the formula - I'm convinced if it is not Brad Stevens - it has to be a former IU player or a Big Ten player.  Someone that gets it.  And, it has to be somone who loves the spotlight. Archie doesn't, even his buddy Snow has said so.  He just wants to coach ball.....get that...but there is more....and, the ball part isn't very fundamental.

Mcroberts was quoted on the HH podcast, that at times he had no idea what offense they run.  I get motion does that, but this is a lazy motion and one that doesn't put up more points than the opponent. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Those guys did not play for him.  Time will tell.  Mark this and you can come back and tell me you told me so.  

You really think that John Beileins Michigan players felt he was "racist"? Regardless, he put out some pretty damn good teams.

Those weren't his players, they were just Hall of Famers that grew up around ACTUAL racism and weren't bitchy, whiny, entitled players. Ill take their word for it more than his former Cavaliers players.

Miller on what the team will do with Sunday's game postponed due to COVID-19: "This is the first time all season we've been put in this situation. We have a few extra days to lock in and improve defensively."

Saw someone on twitter respond by saying “Defensively. Lol. 4 years in and this guy still doesn’t know what his team sucks at.”

haha, I mean he’s not wrong. It’s crazy how all Archie wants to preach and claim is wrong is needing to be better on defense. 

4 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Miller on what the team will do with Sunday's game postponed due to COVID-19: "This is the first time all season we've been put in this situation. We have a few extra days to lock in and improve defensively."

Saw someone on twitter respond by saying “Defensively. Lol. 4 years in and this guy still doesn’t know what his team sucks at.”

haha, I mean he’s not wrong. It’s crazy how all Archie wants to preach and claim is wrong is needing to be better on defense. 

How about working on shooting?

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

A few random thoughts...

- Can we stop with the Archie said offense is hard? Watch the entire press conference to hear the statement in context. He was saying offense is hard if you're going to shoot 3-for-19 from the 3pt line and 50% from the free throw line. If that's how you're going to shoot then scoring points will be difficult and you then force yourself to have to be 100% lights out defensively for 40 minutes and that they didn't do that. He wasn't like, "golly gee, guys. This offense stuff is super hard".

- I listened to the entire postgame, how in the world did not one media member ask Archie about never beating Purdue in 4 years and losing so many straight to them at home? I don't expect him to give a productive answer to that, but how do you not at least ask it?

- A few of us have discussed this idea that something is just missing the last 4 years. Of course you can point to shooting, 3pt defense, etc., etc., but it goes beyond that. It's culture, it's attitude, it's passion. Those things have been missing for 4 years and those are the things I expected Archie to bring right off the bat. Check out the below tweet:

I saw that tweet during the day yesterday and immediately thought, "I miss watching IU players that played with passion and emotion. I miss feeling a connection to the players and feeling invested in them and the team". 

I'm tired of watching IU players look like they don't care. I miss watching Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls, Sheehey, Yogi, Troy Williams, Thomas Bryant, Nick Zeisloft. Say what you want about some of them, but they played with passion. They played with emotion. IU players under Archie look like lifeless robots most of the time. 

This is not me saying I miss Crean, he brought passion, but that was about it. I want a coach to bring the passion back to IU basketball, but do it with smart coaching and good recruiting.

I miss those guys so much

I decided since I can't watch good basketball watching this team I decided to.pivk an old game to watch.  I.picked. a good one from 1992 a home game against Purdue where we won 106-65.  Going into that game IU was averaging 87 points per game and in their wind they won by an average of 28 points.  Watching this even reinforces my belief that analytics is hurting offensive basketball.  This team averaged this amount of points and probably only hit 6 or 7 3's a game.

Just now, 5fouls said:

I still don't know how that team did not make the Final Four.

Bad coaching lol...honestly. They were mismanaged and worn out. You have something special like that then you have to cultivate it and protect it. A great coach would have kept that team fresh and would have had that team peaking in March..not exhausted. 
Let’s be real...it’s when you have a team like that and you can’t even get past a sweet 16 you know you got the wrong coach. How much more talent could you have and you couldn’t get them further? We saw that team coming together and we all knew it was special. Not sure I see a team like that again for a long time. 

14 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Archie will get 1 more year after this season, I think his contract is almost done too

Ends in in 3/24 which means he has only 3 seasons left.  if his contract is not extended soon, i suspect it will be a liability in recruiting. 

1 minute ago, Threedom said:

Ah the good ole Syracuse game...from my perspective that was a hole Crean was never able to dig out of.   Eerily similar to what has been going on the last few days.

Archie has never had that kinda talent to be fair. Crean had everything a coach could want...there is nothing more he could have been given...if you can’t win with that you are never going to. Archie we’ve yet to see him with even a mediocre shooting team. It’s why I’m curious about next year when are freshman are physically ready and with Stewart and Hunter...what can happen with some symblance of cohesion on the offensive end to match our defense. I’ll give him next year but after that I won’t be able to excuse him.

22 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

When and with what terms?

After Sampson was fired in 2008, we went after him when he was coach at Washington State.  Many said he was our top choice.  Bennett was asked about whether he had an offer and if so, what was it?  He declined to reveal any of terms of an offer.  But I'm sure that they were much much more than he was making at WSU. 

There was some speculation at the time that he didn't go to iU in part because of the treatment his sister received at iU.  She was the women's HC for IU.  Dick Bennett his father was coach at Wisky.  Some said that was another reason he didn't accept iU's offer because he wanted to go to Wisky.

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Archie has never had that kinda talent to be fair. Crean had everything a coach could want...there is nothing more he could have been given...if you can’t win with that you are never going to. Archie we’ve yet to see him with even a mediocre shooting team. It’s why I’m curious about next year when are freshman are physically ready and with Stewart and Hunter...what can happen with some symblance of cohesion on the offensive end to match our defense. I’ll give him next year but after that I won’t be able to excuse him.

Same shi?, different day,! 

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

At the end they started talking about fans expectations.  I guess there was a post game show with AJ Guyton and Raphael Davis from Purdue. Davis said Purdue fans start out the season hoping for a big ten title and everything else is gravy.  They came to IU and said the fans start out hoping for a national title but this thinking brings a lot of disappointment. So these national guys think IU fans expectations are a little unrealistic and that is part of the problem.

I'd like to see one fan that has had any expectation of whiffing a national championship in the past half dozen years.  True, we do have above average expectations but it's not like CAM is a disappointment because we haven't been to a S16.  It's because we've finished in the bottom half of league every year, lower each year in fact, and haven't played a single game in the tourney.  It's a lazy narrative by people who get paid to talk and act like they know everything about CBB.  Just in the last couple years I've seen talk of winning NCAAT on both purdue and UI message boards.  Right now our expectations aren't significantly higher than anyone else in the B10.

Any coach who would be reluctant to come here because the level of achievement we've seen under CAM isn't good enough isn't a winner IMO.

Let's assume that there is nothing outside of the basketball program that would limit our success(i.e. IU administration), we have no way of knowing who would be a good to great hire.  Who is truly qualified to make this decision? RMK himself said Archie was a good hire. IU basketball was super frustrating under Crean, not least of which was that team that was ranked #1. It is still a program that is super frustrating.  I think we all saw positive signs here and there over the last 10 years under both coaches, only to follow up the good with the bad. We have only strung together scoring droughts and losing streaks. When is the last time we won 5 games in a row that didn't included cupcakes?  Add to this, it seems like commentators are always referring to IU basketball and Assembly Hall with reverence, but it also feels like they are talking about it as a museum piece, not something that is current and relevant.  We are like an aging fat and bald guy driving around in a cherry classic muscle car thinking we can still turn the young girls heads. We are turning their heads, but they are giggling and pointing. 

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Clearly Archie doesn’t have the same talent, but he built the roster just as crean did (From nothing).  Hopefully next year is better as you point out.  My comparison to the Syracuse game was more in terms of a watershed moment regarding the fan base. 

As much as you guys make fun of Crean, he at least accomplished something. Yeah he was a weird guy, but we are on year 4 with Archie and we haven’t done.....anything? 

Creans teams played with heart and knew what Indiana basketball was all about. Our team now looks like they could care less. I like the kids on our team and I like Archie as a man, but this team is terribly built. I’m not ready to kick him to the curb yet, but I’m very close. 

Archived