It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It really is puzzling how bad the guard play has been for 4 years with a coach that played guard in one of the best conferences in the country and comes from a coaching tree family. 

I've been posting this a lot over the last day, but Lander literally is the only guard on the roster that was rated higher than 120 in his recruiting class. You can't win in college basketball without really good guard play. 

I thought when Archie came we'd start recruiting high level, tough guards. Think guards in the MSU, Villanova, West Virginia (when Huggy really has it going), UVA mold. For whatever reason it just hasn't happened. 

We've whiffed on a good handful.  

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saying the coaches are to nice and they don't try to teach instead they just yell.

I do wonder what our assistants do sometimes.  The fact that nothing got changed on our baseline out of bounds defense against Purdue was an indictment on the whole staff. We kept putting TJD on the in bounder, and they would run their big to the basket against whatever smaller guy was on him. If he wasn't open, they'd pass it a couple times and the in bounder would still have TJD on him for an open 3. We gave up around 15 points on that.

Don't know how we didn't pick up on that and try to change things. 

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't believe this...

Like vultures circling...just incredible...

It's my true hope that Archie and this team comes back and shoves it up a lot of people's arses...sideways...

I agree that the best thing for the program is for Archie to turn this around.  I just don't think that is going to happen and if you think we are bad go to other social media sites.

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Scott, where in my post that you quoted did I mention Jay Wright or Tony Bennett?  I am talking about Brad Stevens.  The same Brad Stevens who purportedly once considered Indiana his dream job.  Those are totally different scenarios.

I'm just saying, you have to ask Stevens before you entertain anyone else on the planet.  If money is an issue, you call up Mark Cuban and say "Hey Mark. it's Scott Dolson here.  I may be able to get Brad Stevens for 'X' amount of dollars.  What do you think?"

It's not an unrealistic scenario.  

Would that be tampering if Cuban paid Stevens salary to leave the Celtics for IU?

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I do wonder what our assistants do sometimes.  The fact that nothing got changed on our baseline out of bounds defense against Purdue was an indictment on the whole staff. We kept putting TJD on the in bounder, and they would run their big to the basket against whatever smaller guy was on him. If he wasn't open, they'd pass it a couple times and the in bounder would still have TJD on him for an open 3. We gave up around 15 points on that.

Don't know how we didn't pick up on that and try to change things. 

At one time I had Purdue scoring 14 points on the out of bounds plays

52 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I will freely admit that SA wouldn't be my first choice, but have to say he's done more than either of our last two coaches.

At this point, what the heck, why not hire any of those 3.

Huh?  Steve Alford has a better career track record than Tom Crean?  

Where are Facebook's independent fact checkers slapping a label on this post?

2 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Would that be tampering if Cuban paid Stevens salary to leave the Celtics for IU?

I'm sure Cuban could donate to the University without explicitly saying what it was for.  Then the University could use that money as they see fit.  And, it just so happens they could feel it would be of good use to entice Brad Stevens to come to Bloomington.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that the best thing for the program is for Archie to turn this around.  I just don't think that is going to happen and if you think we are bad go to other social media sites.

I don't give two flying flips about any social media site...

I'm just surprised at a lot of stuff I'm reading...We're a little over half way through our season, and I see people posting things, be it player development, recruiting, ect, just to, in my opinion, pile on...

Sickens me...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just surprised at a lot of stuff I'm reading...We're a little over half way through our season, and I see people posting things, be it player development, recruiting, ect, just to, in my opinion, pile on...

Sickens me...

I mean, at some point you have to win and at some point you can't keep losing the same type of games because of the same exact reasons. 

I'm an Archie guy for the most part. But we're in year 4 and we're losing the same types of games (NW at home, close but not close enough at Illinois, always losing to Purdue, always losing the games that are the difference between 4th place and 8th place in the Big Ten). 

Win games and this all goes away. 

As for Leary, Dakich and the rest of the media hyenas...

I wonder if they think the guy THEY played for knows anything...

Because he said this...

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sickens me...

You know how positive I usually am but to me I don't see any improvement team wise from the last 3.5 years.  We still run the same disjointed offense we have ran the last few years.  He made no adjustments to the pack line defense to help us contain good 3 point shooters.  Our shooting is still bad or at least bad for my standards of shooting.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I mean, at some point you have to win and at some point you can't keep losing the same type of games because of the same exact reasons. 

I'm an Archie guy for the most part. But we're in year 4 and we're losing the same types of games (NW at home, close but not close enough at Illinois, always losing to Purdue, always losing the games that are the difference between 4th place and 8th place in the Big Ten). 

Win games and this all goes away. 

I totally understand that...It's not like we're even under .500...And I know the bar at IU is ultra high...

The B1G has been the best conference 2 years in a row...It's very tough...Let's see at the end of the day where we are before we summon the priest to say a few choice Latin words...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As for Leary, Dakich and the rest of the media hyenas...

I wonder if they think the guy THEY played for knows anything...

Because he said this...

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

but RMK probably thought by year 4 it would be a lot better than this

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I totally understand that...It's not like we're even under .500...And I know the bar at IU is ultra high...

The B1G has been the best conference 2 years in a row...It's very tough...Let's see at the end of the day where we are before we summon the priest to say a few choice Latin words...

I get what you're saying. Not sure what thread it was but somewhere people where discussing how Mick Cronin can flatout coach and has UCLA at 10-2, well if IU had been in the Pac-12 the last 4 years our record would like a whole lot different. 

The Pac-12 is a joke compared to the Big Ten the last 4 years. 

But with that said, it's year 4 and at some point .500 in conference isn't good enough. I don't think he's getting fired this year, but to keep the fans and pundits at bay this team needs to go on a run in the Big Ten, string some wins together and look like a program that has the pieces falling into place.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not yelling at players but yelling out to play defense

With no fans in the stands each teams bench has to bring a ton of energy and be a student section.  So if there are specific examples, I call this hokey.  

Now if we revert to CTC days of holding up signs telling guys to "play hard" we are screwed.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I get what you're saying. Not sure what thread it was but somewhere people where discussing how Mick Cronin can flatout coach and has UCLA at 10-2, well if IU had been in the Pac-12 the last 4 years our record would like a whole lot different. 

But with that said, it's year 4 and at some point .500 in conference isn't good enough. I don't think he's getting fired this year, but to keep the fans and pundits at bay this team needs to go on a run in the Big Ten, string some wins together and look like a program that has the pieces falling into place.

During the WI/Rutgers game last night the announcers said someone asked Pikiell what was wrong with his team and he answered "the schedule"

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

And I get that too...

But it just frosts me to no end when I see comments about "no player development" (Race? Armaan?) and recruiting...We've missed on a few, but CAM is selective. He doesn't cast the wide net like Crean did and hope to land a 5 disguised as a 2 star (which never worked out)...

It's never taken into account that without the injury to Joey and the injury to Armaan could have made this a totally different year...

I know the offense isn't "flashy" enough for some...But a guy came here 50 years ago and put the governor on the Hurryin Hoosiers, and that worked out (and there was a bit of beeoytching and moaning then, too)...Not to say CAM is RMK, but structured offense and hellacious defense are certainly a mantra shared by both...

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

During the WI/Rutgers game last night the announcers said someone asked Pikiell what was wrong with his team and he answered "the schedule"

I think they have a bit of a chemistry problem too...

Too many players wanting to be "The Guy."

Just now, IUFLA said:

And I get that too...

But it just frosts me to no end when I see comments about "no player development" (Race? Armaan?) and recruiting...We've missed on a few, but CAM is selective. He doesn't cast the wide net like Crean did and hope to land a 5 disguised as a 2 star (which never worked out)...

It's never taken into account that without the injury to Joey and the injury to Armaan could have made this a totally different year...

I know the offense isn't "flashy" enough for some...But a guy came here 50 years ago and put the governor on the Hurryin Hoosiers, and that worked out (and there was a bit of beeoytching and moaning then, too)...Not to say CAM is RMK, but structured offense and hellacious defense are certainly a mantra shared by both...

Just go back and watch RMK teams and his teams played faster than the myth says it is.  I just watched a game from 92 and for the most part all of our shots was within 15 seconds of the possession.  There was a 45 second clock and there was not one possession in that game where it came close to being a shot clock violations.  I saw plenty of shots come after 1 or 2 passes so this 4 passes before you shoot was not really true.  I watched a lot of games form 81 and that team played at a very fast paced.  It is just not an IU thing but most of college basketball plays at a snails pace today.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Just go back and watch RMK teams and his teams played faster than the myth says it is.  I just watched a game from 92 and for the most part all of our shots was within 15 seconds of the possession.  There was a 45 second clock and there was not one possession in that game where it came close to being a shot clock violations.  I saw plenty of shots come after 1 or 2 passes so this 4 passes before you shoot was not really true.  I watched a lot of games form 81 and that team played at a very fast paced.  It is just not an IU thing but most of college basketball plays at a snails pace today.

Tell that to Jimmy Rayl...You weren't born in time to see the teams in the 60s...Believe me, RMK's offense in 71 was a turtle comparatively 

Archived