It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Rutgers played better early and they had some injuries.  they started to lose when those players came back from injury

They started to lose when Ron Harper Jr came back from his ankle injury and wanted to resume being the guy that had them undefeated...And Geo Baker, Mathis, and Young didn't want to give their shots back...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Tell that to Jimmy Rayl...You weren't born in time to see the teams in the 60s...Believe me, RMK's offense in 71 was a turtle comparatively 

1981 tournament results and tell me that they did not score

1987 tournament scores

Just now, IU Scott said:

1981 tournament results and tell me that they did not score

1987 tournament scores

Scott, listen...

RMK came to Bloomington in 1971...his offense compared to what McCracken and subsequently Watson (with the Jerry Oliver year in there when Watson was ailing) was snail like by comparison. I'm not talking about 92 or 80...I'm talking about 1971...I was there...I heard the moaning...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Scott, listen...

RMK came to Bloomington in 1971...his offense compared to what McCracken and subsequently Watson (with the Jerry Oliver year in there when Watson was ailing) was snail like by comparison. I'm not talking about 92 or 80...I'm talking about 1971...I was there...I heard the moaning...

I understand that it was slower than McCrackens teams but it was not a slow down 4 corners type of offense as well.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As for Leary, Dakich and the rest of the media hyenas...

I wonder if they think the guy THEY played for knows anything...

Because he said this...

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

I use to pull that same quote over and over the past three years.  Posted it on these boards often.  But, this was the year, his team, and the same lack of positive identity and negative identity is all over this team.

I wonder if Coach Knight ever saw him coach?  Or is it, I know his dad, so he must know how to coach.

Archie said himself in interviews this year he hardly has ever talked to Knight, and only a few times.  

At one point, I thought Knight recruited him, because I was told that.  Archie never mentioned IU when talking about his own recruitment in interviews this summer.

Again, I will say this time and time....the younger generation is loosing interest in IU basketball.....as alumni who love the program and fans we hope that this program lives on.  

If you can't hire Few or Stevens...get an IU guy, let him assemble a staff and make it a rockstar program again.  

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Scott, listen...

71-72 averaged 73.7

72-73 averaged 78.0

73-74 averaged 76.0

74-75 averaged 88.0

75-76 averaged 82.1

So if fans were upset that the team played slower and thought it was boring then our fans are not as smart as I thought they were.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So why are you looking at only a couple of years of his 30 year tenure

<Sigh>

I'm not looking at any particular years, Scott. I made a simple comment that when RMK came to IU his offense wasn't what Hoosier fans were use to, and they bitched about it...

You keep trying to prove something with that statement wrong...

And I can't for the life of me figure out why...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I do admire the optimism...

Ha!  This program is a sleeping giant.  It really is.  Facilities are there, stadium was upgraded, ex-player division has been healed.  And all this with a coach, that has little personality.  Does anyone see him around campus, like Allen, pre covid?  

Gonzaga is amazing with what they have been able to do.  

I have alot of respect for Glass...and I think he thought this hire was going to outsmart people, because Archie supper young and he was hot coming off of a run.

But like CM Newton said about knight - It's not the basketball IQ thay makes him good, it is his personality and drive.  You can't teach thay innate quality. Archie doesn't have it.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I imagine it was a combination of things. Mostly having to coach against your father twice a year probably high on the list.

His dad was long gone from Wisconsin in 2008 having coached there from 1995-2001.  in fact he had stopped coaching in 2006 when he was coach of Washington St.

Alright I’ll bite in the most honest way I see it...

Archie had been dealt some unlucky circumstances/breaks or what ever you wanna call them that has  really kept the program from taking off. Lets just begin at the beginning.

Year 1: basically a pass for everything. Transitioning year.

Year 2: Archie had a really nice Roster his 2nd year but the roster got destroyed with Race,Rob,Green,Mcroberts,Romeo,Jerome, Deron. all experienced multiple game/season long injury’s. That by itself is incredible. that team was STILL a play in game with Ohio State from the tournament. If it’s healthy had a chance to be a second weekend team.. really tough break for Arch. That team could of really got the ball rolling and The losing streak cost them KBJ in my opinion. 

Year 3: Rob and Race dealt with injury’s and I’m sure I’m missing someone else. Improvement on Kenpom in defense and offense rankings. Had some tough close losses but Got to 20 wins. Was headed to the NCAA tournament and then Covid. Again Another momentum killer for Arch. 

Year 4: More injury’s, more close losses, and still improvement on offense and defense rankings..If we pull off Florida state game and Wisconsin game. Which we were one possession away in each game then we are 10-4, ranked in top 25, and completely talked about differently right now. We are literally  2 possessions away from that. Tough breaks again for Arch! 

I still like a lot of things Archie is doing we have been so close for the last 3 years now. The BIG is absolutely brutal which hurts us from gaining more momentum/seeing the winning results quicker. People make it seems like we aren’t close to winning but dang it we are right there. 

with that said Arch honestly has been dealt some tough breaks and I hate it for him but it’s year 4 we need to start seeing some wins!  Really the only complaint I have is the development of shooting and the inability to land a really good guard. Though  I think Franklin, Lander, Stewert could be really good in the next 2 years but that might be to late for Arch. You can’t win in the BIG when Rob and Al play 30+ minutes and can’t even combine to get 10 points. A telling stat is IU 5-1 when Durham scores 10+. But Some of that is on Archie to develop them and some of that is the fact that they weren’t highly rated guys anyways. 

It’s kind of like the Tom Allen situation before he started to win. You can see a solid foundation is being built and I like a lot of the things I see in how we play. Our defense and offense numbers continue to improve but in the end you have to find a way to close out games in the final 2 minutes and win. It’s year 4. Times is running out. I really hope Arch can find a way to get us over the hump these next couple months. I’ll let the season play out but even though I like Arch if he doesn’t get us to the tourney this year then it’s a sweet 16 or your gone year 5. 

20 minutes ago, slojoe said:

His dad was long gone from Wisconsin in 2008 having coached there from 1995-2001.  in fact he had stopped coaching in 2006 when he was coach of Washington St.

From what I heard it had nothing to do with coaching against his dad obviously.  But Dick supposedly absolutely loathes IU and RMK and didn't want him taking the job.  We had also just fired his sister and he didn't want a pressure cooker job reportedly. 

26 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

It’s kind of like the Tom Allen situation before he started to win. You can see a solid foundation is being built and I like a lot of the things I see in how we play. Our defense and offense numbers continue to improve but in the end you have to find a way to close out games in the final 2 minutes and win. It’s year 4. Times is running out. I really hope Arch can find a way to get us over the hump these next couple months. I’ll let the season play out but even though I like Arch if he doesn’t get us to the tourney this year then it’s a sweet 16 or your gone year 5. 

Wholeheartedly disagree on the Allen situation.  There was a lot more positive happening with Allen than there has been with Archie.  Allen is also really self-aware and willing to change, and Archie seems extremely stubborn.  Allen also has charisma that Archie (and 99.9% of coaches) can only dream of.  The buy in between the football team and basketball team appears to be night and day different.

Those were all things that made it seem much more likely that Allen was going to turn things around than Archie.  There has been some bad luck with the basketball team since he's been here, but the things a lot of people have issues with are things that are independent of luck on the court.  Struggling recruiting, lack of accountability with himself and with some players, questions about the system he runs, lack of improvement in shooting with most players.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Wholeheartedly disagree on the Allen situation.  There was a lot more positive happening with Allen than there has been with Archie.  Allen is also really self-aware and willing to change, and Archie seems extremely stubborn.  Allen also has charisma that Archie (and 99.9% of coaches) can only dream of.  The buy in between the football team and basketball team appears to be night and day different.

Those were all things that made it seem much more likely that Allen was going to turn things around than Archie.  There has been some bad luck with the basketball team since he's been here, but the things a lot of people have issues with are things that are independent of luck on the court.  Struggling recruiting, lack of accountability with himself and with some players, questions about the system he runs, lack of improvement in shooting with most players.

Fair points. I love Allen’s willingness to change and Adapt! Archie is definitely to stubborn at times. I still think IU bball is pretty close and I’m not willing to pull the plug yet but he is running out of time. 

Archived