It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IU basketball is in a very critical spot.  In short order, schools like Kansas, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and IU will all be looking for coaches.  

The Duke insiders say that they are taking someone from K’s family.  Syracuse and Hopkins have been tied for a long time.  So, take them out.  But UNC and Kansas are lurking around.  A lot of talk that Kansas is probably going all in for Beard.  Kentucky won’t have Cal forever especially with the disarray they’ve been.  

IU can’t be a weanie here and get outmanuevered by schools that will go all in.  

Nothing is going to happen to Self...he ain’t going anywhere. At worst a one season post season ban and he will continue to work right through that.

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Watched some of Alabama’s game today. He would certainly be in the mix. 

While I’m already posting I just want to go ahead and say again my 100% first choice would be for this to work out with Archie. I have serious doubts that it will but will keep hoping for it to as long as he is here. 

I want to study Oats more. Definitely has an offense that kids will love.  I wanna learn about his defense and ball security focus.  I think he has a big future. 

I think everyone agrees with your sentiment that we want Archie to succeed as a first choice.  

36 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IU basketball is in a very critical spot.  In short order, schools like Kansas, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and IU will all be looking for coaches.  

The Duke insiders say that they are taking someone from K’s family.  Syracuse and Hopkins have been tied for a long time.  So, take them out.  But UNC and Kansas are lurking around.  A lot of talk that Kansas is probably going all in for Beard.  Kentucky won’t have Cal forever especially with the disarray they’ve been.  

IU can’t be a weanie here and get outmanuevered by schools that will go all in.  

I doubt Syracuse will go back to Hopkins now with them being like 1-10 at Washington

I see Duke getting one of their former players

UNC just luckily had Williams a former alumni and assistant coach willing to come back home

Kansas- I don't see Self leaving anytime soon and he is not that old yet. That is unless he gets hammered by the NCAA

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

From what I heard it had nothing to do with coaching against his dad obviously.  But Dick supposedly absolutely loathes IU and RMK and didn't want him taking the job.  We had also just fired his sister and he didn't want a pressure cooker job reportedly. 

Although I don't think Bennett ever said in public his reasons, I think your reasons are likely correct or very close.  As far as

I know we never made a serious attempt to hire him after that.

Let's say Archie does turn this thing around this year and finish .500 or better in conference and his seat is cooled.  My concern is the long-term sustainability of recruiting to an offensive scheme that, like others have said, is rather boring and uncreative.  I think this may be a sinking ship regardless of the outcome this year because I don't see the talent improving.  High rated guys are going to look elsewhere.  

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I want to study Oats more. Definitely has an offense that kids will love.  I wanna learn about his defense and ball security focus.  I think he has a big future. 

I think everyone agrees with your sentiment that we want Archie to succeed as a first choice.  

His teams looked good today and when hitting their 3's they will be very good.  Just like when we had Crean when we shot well we were a great team but when the 3's aren't falling then you are in trouble.  I am not sue how good his defenses are but I hope they would be at least above average to want him here.

1 minute ago, CincyHoosier said:

Let's say Archie does turn this thing around this year and finish .500 or better in conference and his seat is cooled.  My concern is the long-term sustainability of recruiting to an offensive scheme that, like others have said, is rather boring and uncreative.  I think this may be a sinking ship regardless of the outcome this year because I don't see the talent improving.  High rated guys are going to look elsewhere.  

More than likely he will get one more year so probably what happens this year won't influence the decision.  it is how we come out and play next year and if there are a lot of adjustments made and we look better.

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They showed part of an interview with him where he had this chart that showed that the number of possessions per game has increased over a number of years (I forget how many) in the NBA but during that same time they have stagnated in college basketball. Another section of that chart showed how they have been increasing at a greater rate at Alabama since he has been there. He is definitely  offensive minded so learning more about his defensive philosophy would be nice. I did find him impressive. 

Part of the reason I wanted to watch that game was not only Oats, but Mussleman was the opposing coach. Even though they were getting beat pretty bad he is a guy I’d like to know more about too. I took a picture of what he said after his team’s bad performance at LSU. 

66EF02C0-C1D2-4920-A611-5781CE7F7AA6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His teams looked good today and when hitting their 3's they will be very good.  Just like when we had Crean when we shot well we were a great team but when the 3's aren't falling then you are in trouble.  I am not sue how good his defenses are but I hope they would be at least above average to want him here.

Yeah I definitely want to see and learn more about defense and turnovers with him.  But I like what I’ve seen so far. 

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

They showed part of an interview with him where he had this chart that showed that the number of possessions per game has increased over a number of years (I forget how many) but during that same time they have stagnated in college basketball. Another section of that chart showed how they have been increasing at a greater rate at Alabama since he has been there. He is definitely  offensive minded so learning more about his defensive philosophy would be nice. I did find him impressive. 

Part of the reason I wanted to watch that game was not only Oats, but Mussleman was the opposing coach. Even though they were getting beat pretty bad he is a guy I’d like to know more about too. I took a picture of what he said after his team’s bad performance at LSU. 

66EF02C0-C1D2-4920-A611-5781CE7F7AA6.jpeg

Very good points.  And Musselman, whose dad was a big coach, is interesting too as you mentioned. He’s worked under a ton of high end coaches all the way to Chuck Daly and he’s been a head coach in the NBA.  He’s a very good coach.  

There are a lot of good coaches out there if it’s not working here.  

5 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I don't find anything wrong with the scheme. IU's sets consistently get good, open looks. The team is pushing live ball pace much better this year, etc.  

Our problem is our guards are average at best and we lack shooters. We got a ton of open looks against Purdue. Its not like our 3-for-19 3pt shooting was because of Purdue's defense. Phinisee, Durham, Franklin and Galloway (he just took one but it was wide open) missed a ton of open 3's. 

If we hit 6/7-out of 19 from 3 (and again they were largely clean, open looks) and 70% of our free throws, IU wins that game easy. 

We ran numerous really good sets go get TJD in positions to score or get fouled as well. 

The writing is on the wall now. The offense is a known commodity. And that commodity is putrid.

Recruiting is in the toilet. Nobody wants to come. Recruits are making the Clint Eastwood disgusted GIF look at us.We have southern indiana kids now plugging their noses at us and choosing Purdue over us. Kaufman was a dagger. CAM was able to convince ONE kid to come next year.

I just don't know what you do at this point. Indiana basketball is a laughing stock. The administration is more concerned about optics and being morally superior to everyone else than winning.

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

The writing is on the wall now. The offense is a known commodity. And that commodity is putrid.

Recruiting is in the toilet. Nobody wants to come. Recruits are making the Clint Eastwood disgusted GIF look at us.We have southern indiana kids now plugging their noses at us and choosing Purdue over us. Kaufman was a dagger. CAM was able to convince ONE kid to come next year.

I just don't know what you do at this point. Indiana basketball is a laughing stock. The administration is more concerned about optics and being morally superior to everyone else than winning.

Just  winning is not as important as winning the right way

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just  winning is not as important as winning the right way

Hampering incoming coaches with rules that nobody else plays by is not the right way. It's naive and self destructive. You do everything possible within the rules to win. You don't hold yourself to a standard that nobody else does. You be pragmatic.

Indiana has done to itself what Notre Dame football did to itself during the end of the Holtz tenure. It's why he left.

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

Hampering incoming coaches with rules that nobody else plays by is not the right way. It's naive and self destructive. You do everything possible within the rules to win. You don't hold yourself to a standard that nobody else does. You be pragmatic.

Indiana has done to itself what Notre Dame football did to itself during the end of the Holtz tenure. It's why he left.

What things with in the rules limits our coaches.  Don't give me the players bills of rights because that doesn't hurt anything.  That just provides 4 years of education but it doesn't guarantee you a spot on the team.  We have great facilities with a new housing for players.  Cook Hall is the state of the art facility and AH has been renovated.  I want guys who can actually get into college and not have to do things just to get kids into IU

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What things with in the rules limits our coaches.  Don't give me the players bills of rights because that doesn't hurt anything.  That just provides 4 years of education but it doesn't guarantee you a spot on the team.  We have great facilities with a new housing for players.  Cook Hall is the state of the art facility and AH has been renovated.  I want guys who can actually get into college and not have to do things just to get kids into IU

Just as an example, but the talk about how hard it is to get transfers in. Things like that. There are more. 

But with that example, Archie shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a grad transfer in. 

Archived