It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just as an example, but the talk about how hard it is to get transfers in. Things like that. There are more. 

But with that example, Archie shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a grad transfer in. 

Do you actually have proof that their is things in the way of transfers.  I have seen transfers come in here the last 10 or so years so it is not to hard.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You guys realize that SEC style basketball is nothing like B1G basketball.

The bigs in our conference are light years ahead of what anyone that Oats has to prepare for. 

I realize SEC basketball has won a tourney in the last 20 years so maybe we could embrace that style a bit. 

16 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

It cracks me up seeing some of the suggested names that get thrown out there. Brownell would be a terrible hire. 

That is why it is a crap shoot when you are talking about firing your coach.  I think to many people when we fired Crean thought we could bring in any coach in the country because we are IU.  the problem is that is not the case and I bet when Duke, UNC and KU has openings will find the same thing.  It seems like coaches today is not as worried about making as much money as they can and move up to the big time.  there is reasons why a Mark Few stayed at Gonzaga or even a Byrd at Belmont and McKillop at Davidson stays.  Those two coaches  are good enough to be coaches at the top level of college basketball but was not interested.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What things with in the rules limits our coaches.  Don't give me the players bills of rights because that doesn't hurt anything.  That just provides 4 years of education but it doesn't guarantee you a spot on the team.  We have great facilities with a new housing for players.  Cook Hall is the state of the art facility and AH has been renovated.  I want guys who can actually get into college and not have to do things just to get kids into IU

For one, CAM was forced to keep everyone on the roster and recruit the three kids that had committed to Crean.

Once more, he was told this after he had signed the contract.

I didn't like the CAM hire. I thought it was lazy, unimaginative and uninspiring. I'm not sure that anybody was excited. But at least let him hit the ground running.

I believe Glass retired because after a couple of years watching this, he said 'im outta here'.

11 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

For one, CAM was forced to keep everyone on the roster and recruit the three kids that had committed to Crean.

Once more, he was told this after he had signed the contract.

I didn't like the CAM hire. I thought it was lazy, unimaginative and uninspiring. I'm not sure that anybody was excited. But at least let him hit the ground running.

I believe Glass retired because after a couple of years watching this, he said 'im outta here'.

That had to do with the APR as much ad anything.  Also how do you know he was told to do this and what he decided to do.

Here's what I found on Matta.  Doesn't sound like a guy that loves it or misses it.  He had however listened to offers and reportedly turned down Georgia.  Serious question is if he could mentally handle us.  Yes, us IU fans.  

“Probably haven’t felt like this in 10 years. I found out stress is real. It’s a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you’re tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It’s being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy.”

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That had to do with the APR as much ad anything.  Also how do you know he was told to do this and what he decided to do.

The whole APR thing never made sense and sounds like a really nice excuse because it doesn't make sense.  What I remember reading is if a guy transfers out in good standing, that does not hurt you.  So I call bullcrap unless someone can actually lay it out and explain it.  And yes I have read and tried to decifer the NCAAs site about APR.

I think that was the convenient excuse that got floated out when the reality is, it's bad optics to clean sweep the entire house.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here's what I found on Matta.  Doesn't sound like a guy that loves it or misses it.  He had however listened to offers and reportedly turned down Georgia.  Serious question is if he could me talky handle us.  Yes, us IU fans.  

“Probably haven’t felt like this in 10 years. I found out stress is real. It’s a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you’re tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It’s being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy.”

Don't sound like a guy looking to get back into coaching.  I don't blame coaches getting out of college coaching because it seems like it is a no win situation.  There is way to much pressure put on you from fans and the administration of you don't big right away.  It would be tiring going all over the country trying to get 17 years old kid to come play for you.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Don't sound like a guy looking to get back into coaching.  I don't blame coaches getting out of college coaching because it seems like it is a no win situation.  There is way to much pressure put on you from fans and the administration of you don't big right away.  It would be tiring going all over the country trying to get 17 years old kid to come play for you.

Had a friend that was a manager under CTC for a year.  It was a 90 hour a week job.  That was for unpaid managers.  That's not sustainable nor healthy.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here's what I found on Matta.  Doesn't sound like a guy that loves it or misses it.  He had however listened to offers and reportedly turned down Georgia.  Serious question is if he could me talky handle us.  Yes, us IU fans.  

That’s the words of a good coach honestly. So obsessed and so consumed by the game it keeps them up at night. Fear of failure drives you to be great....sadly once away though it’s like freedom. Don’t see him coming back.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s the words of a good coach honestly. So obsessed and so consumed by the game it keeps them up at night. Fear of failure drives you to be great....sadly once away though it’s like freedom. Don’t see him coming back.

So he's 53.  Lives near Butler since juneish 2018 as far as I can tell.  

His daughter is at Butler.  Wonder if he has any other kids or grand kids.  Once those grandkids come I give it a very low chance.  

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The whole APR thing never made sense and sounds like a really nice excuse because it doesn't make sense.  What I remember reading is if a guy transfers out in good standing, that does not hurt you.  So I call bullcrap unless someone can actually lay it out and explain it.  And yes I have read and tried to decifer the NCAAs site about APR.

I think that was the convenient excuse that got floated out when the reality is, it's bad optics to clean sweep the entire house.  

Academic Progress Rate Explained | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

To me it appears you get two points per player and if they stay and are eligible you get 2 points.

If a player leaves and is academically eligible you lose 1 point because he transferred.

Of a player leaves and are academically ineligible you lose two points

Because were so close to having our APR be below the threshold losing 3 players would hurt us

I’m really hoping this team can get Parker Stewart acclimated ASAP and end the season on a high note. I want to see Archie get a 5th year to see if he can get this program to the next level. If next year is bad I have no problems moving on, but I think he should get next year unless something goes horribly wrong the rest of the year. 

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think coaches think they have to over work to be successful but I don't you do.  You use to see football coaches sleeping in their offices and watch film all night.  I think you can still have a balance of life and still be successful.  Read stories on Mark Few on how he does not put in a lot of long hours and never sees his family.  It seems like he found a great balance b between work and home life and is still successful. 

Archived