It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here's what I found on Matta.  Doesn't sound like a guy that loves it or misses it.  He had however listened to offers and reportedly turned down Georgia.  Serious question is if he could mentally handle us.  Yes, us IU fans.  

“Probably haven’t felt like this in 10 years. I found out stress is real. It’s a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you’re tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It’s being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy.”

Kinda what I said regarding CAM V Allen.

Some people can handle the spotlight and some can’t

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think going forward you will see less coaches staying in the business for 30-40 years. After coach K and the other longtime coaches leave I doubt we see as many coaches staying long especially in one place.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think coaches think they have to over work to be successful but I don't you do.  You use to see football coaches sleeping in their offices and watch film all night.  I think you can still have a balance of life and still be successful.  Read stories on Mark Few on how he does not put in a lot of long hours and never sees his family.  It seems like he found a great balance b between work and home life and is still successful. 

If I had one of the top teams in the country and I faced San Francisco and Pepperdine and St Mary’s for the large portion of my season I wouldn’t worry much either.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here's what I found on Matta.  Doesn't sound like a guy that loves it or misses it.  He had however listened to offers and reportedly turned down Georgia.  Serious question is if he could mentally handle us.  Yes, us IU fans.  

“Probably haven’t felt like this in 10 years. I found out stress is real. It’s a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you’re tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It’s being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy.”

You could see it when he coached. Always thought he looked 10-15 years older, especially with his back issues 

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We saw CTC basically fall apart and start looking sloppy.  CAM doesn't have to be personality extraordinaire to win the fans, though that may appeal to certain recruits.  He does however have to start winning some games.  

He certainly looks stressed and doesn't appear to be having much fun.  Tom Allen is having a blast.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We saw CTC basically fall apart and start looking sloppy.  CAM doesn't have to be personality extraordinaire to win the fans, though that may appeal to certain recruits.  He does however have to start winning some games.  

He certainly looks stressed and doesn't appear to be having much fun.  Tom Allen is having a blast.  

Archies players don’t look like they are having much fun either. Rarely see any of them smile even when winning.

Just now, 5fouls said:

How many Chris Mullin's, Patrick Ewing's, Matt Doherty's and Kevin Ollie's have to be hired and fired before we realize that hiring a former player as head coach of that school may not be a good idea.  

I use to think the same thing but whatever have done the last 21 years isn't working.  So if there is an opening what route do you go.  Knowing there is little chance to get an elite established coach.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Yesterday on his show DD said one of his players was pretty much a pimp.  I wondered which player he was referring to.

I always felt Ellis and Bassett were the ringleaders and Thomas, Crawford, Holman, etc. were just along for the ride.  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I use to think the same thing but whatever have done the last 21 years isn't working.  So if there is an opening what route do you go.  Knowing there is little chance to get an elite established coach.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but it could just take one phone call.  You never know until you ask.  North Carolina, Duke, and UK (if Cal were to leave) aren't going to be afraid to make that call when they need to.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but it could just take one phone call.  You never know until you ask.  North Carolina, Duke, and UK (if Cal were to leave) aren't going to be afraid to make that call when they need to.  

After you make that phone call and gets turned down then what do you do

Archived