It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

Basketball is a game of emotions. It is fair to say that we have played very well this year.  This is typically at times when the players see their shots falling.  I just can't believe that the trouble with making shots doesn't sap the emotional energy needed to defend.  Add to this that the pack-line does give up threes, and when we are missing shots and the other team is hot, it leads to the 5-6 minute stretches that usually determine the game.  I am guessing that we would be right at the top of the conference if we had made shots and a reasonable rate.  I really think there is a fine line between where we are and where we could be if a few more shots go down.  In the end, success happens when luck and preparation meet. We have not been lucky.  I think Archie needs to improve our chances at luck by practicing shooting all the time.  Maybe does, I have not been at any practices.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, if Smart and Alford get prioritized over Stevens (I know, I know), or even a proven winner like Matta, then that is a royal screw-up.  Those are guys you look at if you can't get your home run hire.  

And, to be fair to Smart and Alford, they need to understand that going in.

Matta is not a home run hire.  He is a guy with a short shelf life because of health.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Matta is not a home run hire.  He is a guy with a short shelf life because of health.

Again, my first hope is Archie gets is done and is the IU coach for the next 20+ years. 

If it doesn't go that way, with the Matta talk we're making the assumption that if he came back it means he's refreshed and has his health in order. Also, I'd take a decade of Big Ten contention and maybe a few deep tourney runs to reestablish the program and set it up for the next hire with a much better profile. 

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If you're talking health, then Keith Smart is a cancer survivor.  And, I love Smart.  One of my favorite Hoosiers of all time.  

But, Matta's resume, especially in the Big Ten, dwarfs these other names that are getting thrown out.

Juan Howard was an assistant coach in the NBA for 6 years before taking over at Michigan and he seems to be doing just fine.  Not saying I am advocating for an old IU guy but I think a lot of people are too easily dismissing former players due to lack of experience.  At this point I would take Fife, Hart, and a few others (not Alford) over another mid major rehash.

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

Juan Howard was an assistant coach in the NBA for 6 years before taking over at Michigan and he seems to be doing just fine.  Not saying I am advocating for an old IU guy but I think a lot of people are too easily dismissing former players due to lack of experience.  At this point I would take Fife, Hart, and a few others (not Alford) over another mid major rehash.

Phil Martelli and John Beilein say hello...

2 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Basketball is a game of emotions. It is fair to say that we have played very well this year.  This is typically at times when the players see their shots falling.  I just can't believe that the trouble with making shots doesn't sap the emotional energy needed to defend.  Add to this that the pack-line does give up threes, and when we are missing shots and the other team is hot, it leads to the 5-6 minute stretches that usually determine the game.  I am guessing that we would be right at the top of the conference if we had made shots and a reasonable rate.  I really think there is a fine line between where we are and where we could be if a few more shots go down.  In the end, success happens when luck and preparation meet. We have not been lucky.  I think Archie needs to improve our chances at luck by practicing shooting all the time.  Maybe does, I have not been at any practices.

I know we're married to the pack line, but I wish we could add a more aggressive option to it.  It kind of reminds of me football teams that allow the 5 yard dump offs because eventually teams will get frustrated and try for a big play and make a mistake.  It can be great, but you really have to be great at taking advantage when a team tries to get a big play.  We kind of rely on other teams to get impatient, and push out of frustration.    When we are in one of our scoring droughts, I would love to see us push our defense out and put pressure on teams to try to get a turnover and an easy basket.

When we made our late 1st half run against Purdue, we were playing with energy, the bench was into it, and our defenders were more aggressive on defense.  I think the pack line and methodical offense does drain our energy at times.  Not that I want us jacking up all kinds of bad shots, but at some point, kids need to play and have some fun to build that confidence.  

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We got Sampson because he had to get out of dodge at Oklahoma.  He was trying to avoid the law but the law followed him to Indiana.

I think this talk can be interesting but it is probably a waste of time.  For starters, I don't see any way that the University eats a $10 million buyout in the current economic environment.  They have taken it on the chin in the athletic finance side of things because of all the lockdowns.  This school has shown several times that they are not willing to eat large buyouts even in good fiscal years.  So he is getting year 5.

Secondly, we always do this and throw out a big list and we always end up with a hire out of left field.  People did not see Crean coming and people did not really see Miller coming.  We tend to overrate our program now too.  These names that are being thrown out are successful in their conference, already have a program in place, already make decent money, and are not in a conference with 10 teams in the Top 50.  Yeah, the fans can be great here but that didn't help Davis, Crean, or Miller so far.  And for how good the fan support is, there is a bunch of smoke that the administration may be just as bad in the opposite direction.

I still think if things go so bad that we have to fire Archie after next year that you are looking at Alford because he is going to be the only "name" willing to walk into this crap show.  If I were a mid major coach right now and Indiana came calling, you would have to think long and hard before stepping into this job.  If we fire Miller we will have set his career back years.  He could have gone to one of those "lesser" conference like the Pac12, have a little smaller salary, but held on for a longer amount of time.

I just don't think this job is the draw to coaches that the fans and some of the media believe it is.

To me this post is totally correct.

Since I have been watching  AJ Guyton's podcast with all of these former players made me realize that hiring a former player might be the best solution.  I was in the group don't just hire an a coach just because he is an IU guy but I have softened on that stance.  Last night I watched the one with Alford and even knowing the past I didn't get the vibe that his attitude is not as bad as some says.  I know that while doing an interview he will not show what he might be like off camera. 

1) Hiring an IU guy will bring unity to the program and heal all the fractures that is the IU program.  To me this program needs to be unified and I think bringing an IU guy in would be the best way to do this.  I think it is important to have all the former players be behind the program and will want to come back to the program.  I see UNC and every game there are a lot of former players there.

2)  If it works then it would be extra special because it was done by a former Hoosier

3) If it doesn't work out then we can shut up people saying it needs to be an IU guy

4) An IU will know the rivalry with Purdue

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

I mentioned this earlier, but Juwan Howard isn't really comparable to any former IU player. Not only a long and successful NBA career, as well as an accomplished NBA assistant, but Howard was a member of one of the most culturally impactful college basketball teams ever. They do 30-for-30's on those guys. 

The Fab 5 carries weight and has cultural cache. Howard, Jalen Rose or Chris Webber walking into your living room as a college prospect (and their parents) carries a lot of weight. Howard isn't your typical "school hired a former player". 

Isiah Thomas is maybe the only IU player that carries that kind of weight. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I mentioned this earlier, but Juwan Howard isn't really comparable to any former IU player. Not only a long and successful NBA career, as well as an accomplished NBA assistant, but Howard was a member of one of the most culturally impactful college basketball teams ever. They do 30-for-30's on those guys. 

The Fab 5 carries weight and has cultural cache. Howard, Jalen Rose or Chris Webber walking into your living room as a college prospect (and their parents) carries a lot of weight. Howard isn't your typical "school hired a former player". 

Isiah Thomas is maybe the only IU player that carries that kind of weight. 

Maybe we should hire him then

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you're talking health, then Keith Smart is a cancer survivor.  And, I love Smart.  One of my favorite Hoosiers of all time.  

But, Matta's resume, especially in the Big Ten, dwarfs these other names that are getting thrown out.

Yeah, but there is a reason Matta does not currently have a job.  Great coach, no argument there, but he is not a guy that I think you can say is a guy who if things go well is guaranteed to be at least a 10 year guy.  

He is a millionaire who doesn't like the grind.

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree here too. If Stevens, Bennett, Wright, etc., and even a guy like Matta say no, then maybe you get to Alford or Smart before you go to the young, mid-major coach dejour. But, you don't start with them. 

You're really talking me into Matta. It might have be you, but someone shared a recent quote from him about how nice life is not coaching, but geez prying him out of retirement would be huge. 

He's won multiple Big Ten regular season titles, multiple conference tournament titles, been to multiple Final Fours and elite 8's. There isn't a guy available with that type of resume. 

The quotes that were posted on here from Matta doesn't sound like a guy looking to get back into coaching.   I agree that if he is healthy and ready to get back into coaching then he would be at the top of the list.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I really don't want to start another super long thread about Alford and the Iowa thing, but I still think it is debatable on how he handled it.  I don't think we know all the details.  Did he try to help the kid out and deal with it incorrectly?  Obviously.  Was he really condoning what happened and trying to say it was okay?  I don't think so.  I'm not convinced he is a great coach, but I think it gets very over the top on this board about how terrible of a person he is.  Admittedly, I don't know him personally and don't know all the details of everything, but I'm not convinced he is the devil.  

You're right, he isn't the devil. I'm not familiar of any story of the devil going through a Christian organization to pressure a rape victim to not press charges. 

That Alford did that is an undisputed fact, what more could you possibly need to know?

Archived