It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Alford, I beleive would be able to truly lockdown the state, and assemble a staff that can help with defense.  

But, I am not apposed to a non head coach becoming the next coach, like a Izzo.  Mike Davis is brought up as an example - Mike was brought in during the worse turmoil in program history and he didn't have the organization to succeed (recruitment stories).  

I like the guys who went the NBA route, the Lewis's, Fife's, etc.  They are out there.  And if you can teach, you can succeed.  And if you have a contagious personality you and are one of your own - the state will be energized.

Alford is literally a worse coach than Crean with an even worse persona.  Crean ran off all the state of Indiana kids and soured with coaches.  Don't see Steve doing any better and his dad is getting too old to help with the respect walking in the door.  

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it everyone's general belief that CAM doesn't want former players around the program?  Will former players only come back if an IU guy is coach? Why, if true, is this program fractured and is it reasonable to ask why the basketball culture in the state of Indiana is so impossible for an "outsider" to understand or figure out?  This is based on the post above by Scott, but is always talked about by so many of us when it comes to the next hire needing to be an IU guy.

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

Could careless for hiring an IU guy unless he happens to be the best candidate. For every Juwan Howard there is a Jim Harbaugh. Don’t buy that Archie doesn’t “get it” or understand the rivalry with Purdue as has been suggested in lots of places.

Yep. How dumb would CAM be if he didn't understand the job? (Answer: Too dumb to coach and chew gum at the same time.)

4 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Is it everyone's general belief that CAM doesn't want former players around the program?  Will former players only come back if an IU guy is coach? Why, if true, is this program fractured and is it reasonable to ask why the basketball culture in the state of Indiana is so impossible for an "outsider" to understand or figure out?  This is based on the post above by Scott, but is always talked about by so many of us when it comes to the next hire needing to be an IU guy.

Wasn't it just last year we had Coach Knight back with a bunch of former players? Didn't Archie go out of his way to hire "an IU guy" (Roberts) as an assistant coach? 

I have not heard ONE player beyond the media mouthpieces like Dakich and Leary, who, by the way are more trying to generate more listeners than present facts, who has said Archie needs to go NOW.

Former players may have the bitter tears of a defeat at the hands of the vile Boilermakers on their cheeks, just like some here...But trying to paint it that former players have/will boycott the program until an "IU Guy" is hired is just not true...

8 minutes ago, madmax said:

Could careless for hiring an IU guy unless he happens to be the best candidate. For every Juwan Howard there is a Jim Harbaugh. Don’t buy that Archie doesn’t “get it” or understand the rivalry with Purdue as has been suggested in lots of places.

The problem isn't that we haven't hired an IU guy it's that we keep hiring crappy coaches.  Davis was fired by UAB and Crean will likely be fired by Georgia after next season.  Both were awful.  

31 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Where in the world did you get that idea from? I'm on these boards all of the time and have never seen this idea mentioned. 

Bob Knight came back under Archie's tenure and the event was filled with almost every living former player (not saying it was because of Archie, but still), the relationship with Indiana HS coaches has been mended under Archie's tenure, and it was just a year or two ago that Archie hired a former player as an assistant coach. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Where in the world did you get that idea from? I'm on these boards all of the time and have never seen this idea mentioned. 

Bob Knight came back under Archie's tenure and the event was filled with almost every living former player (not saying it was because of Archie, but still), the relationship with Indiana HS coaches has been mended under Archie's tenure, and it was just a year or two ago that Archie hired a former player as an assistant coach. 

Right, this is what I am trying to figure out. I should clarify, though. I don't mean to say that we all say it has to be an IU guy, but the discussion happens a lot about should it be an IU guy.  I was referring to what IU Scott mentioned as a take on the AJ Guyton podcast. Why would the names Smart, Whitman, Alford, Fife, Lewis pop up on a list of candidates talked about in here?  It has got to be the belief that they would somehow bring unity to a fractured program, right.  Aside from Alford, none of these guys have been a HC in college, and Alford's resume is not stellar. I am glad to hear you refute the premise of my questions. 

Seems there is still some itch for Matta to coach again. If he and Arch are close friends then maybe adding Matta to the staff for a short term trial to see how his back handles the grind could be a good thing.  If Matta finds issues with travel, he can skip road trips without major distractions to a program as if he were a head coach. For Archie,  I think the experience that Matta would bring even if a short term scenario would only enhance the culture of the program if Archie remains. Really the main core of this team is still young.  

Time to drop the grudges on Scott Drew. Been almost 10 years on what everyones complains about him on. He has not been put on probation for cheating. Wasn't Norman Dale the star of Hoosiers.  

https://watchstadium.com/baylors-scott-drew-was-bothered-by-coaching-criticism-so-he-did-something-about-it-11-26-2019/

20 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Right, this is what I am trying to figure out. I should clarify, though. I don't mean to say that we all say it has to be an IU guy, but the discussion happens a lot about should it be an IU guy.  I was referring to what IU Scott mentioned as a take on the AJ Guyton podcast. Why would the names Smart, Whitman, Alford, Fife, Lewis pop up on a list of candidates talked about in here?  It has got to be the belief that they would somehow bring unity to a fractured program, right.  Aside from Alford, none of these guys have been a HC in college, and Alford's resume is not stellar. I am glad to hear you refute the premise of my questions. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Oats

We dog Alford all the time, but his record is more impressive than the guy at Alabama that many seem enamored with.  Alford has just bee around longer to have failure built into his record.  And the Oats guy may turn out to be great at the P5 level but hiring him is every bit the same risk as hiring Miller was or Alford would be.

People just don't like Alford.  I get it, I do, but he some of the guys being mentioned have some of the same shortcomings.

Throw the bank at one of the truly big names to start but if we end up looking at a Barnes or an Oats or whatever, I feel we are hiring out of the same pool as an Alford to be honest.

5 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Seems there is still some itch for Matta to coach again. If he and Arch are close friends then maybe adding Matta to the staff for a short term trial to see how his back handles the grind could be a good thing.  If Matta finds issues with travel, he can skip road trips without major distractions to a program as if he were a head coach. For Archie,  I think the experience that Matta would bring even if a short term scenario would only enhance the culture of the program if Archie remains. Really the main core of this team is still young.  

Time to drop the grudges on Scott Drew. Been almost 10 years on what everyones complains about him on. He has not been put on probation for cheating. Wasn't Norman Dale the star of Hoosiers.  

https://watchstadium.com/baylors-scott-drew-was-bothered-by-coaching-criticism-so-he-did-something-about-it-11-26-2019/

I would take Drew tomorrow if he would bring his current team along...

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree here too. If Stevens, Bennett, Wright, etc., and even a guy like Matta say no, then maybe you get to Alford or Smart before you go to the young, mid-major coach dejour. But, you don't start with them. 

You're really talking me into Matta. It might have be you, but someone shared a recent quote from him about how nice life is not coaching, but geez prying him out of retirement would be huge. 

He's won multiple Big Ten regular season titles, multiple conference tournament titles, been to multiple Final Fours and elite 8's. There isn't a guy available with that type of resume. 

And he’s recruited Indiana obviously.

I might have missed this...but does anyone have any real idea what Scott Dolson thinks of Archie? Glass hired Archie obviously, but is Dolson in Archie's corner or does he want to bring in his own guy? 

I really hope for Archie to succeed and elevate this team to more "W's"...it has seemed all season minus the Texas game that this team is playing everyone close but can't turn the corner and turn some of those moral victories into wins. I still want to believe in Archie and that he will get IU to where they need to be, but I am becoming more skeptical and as some have mentioned...something just seems a little off with his teams (besides lack of shooting) that I can't figure out. I understand how some are frustrated, however, I will see how the season plays out before burning an effigy.

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I might have missed this...but does anyone have any real idea what Scott Dolson thinks of Archie? Glass hired Archie obviously, but is Dolson in Archie's corner or does he want to bring in his own guy? 

Another question is whether the success of the football team allows Dolson to give Archie a little more time.  A little bit less pressure to make a splash?

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Oats

We dog Alford all the time, but his record is more impressive than the guy at Alabama that many seem enamored with.  Alford has just bee around longer to have failure built into his record.  And the Oats guy may turn out to be great at the P5 level but hiring him is every bit the same risk as hiring Miller was or Alford would be.

People just don't like Alford.  I get it, I do, but he some of the guys being mentioned have some of the same shortcomings.

Throw the bank at one of the truly big names to start but if we end up looking at a Barnes or an Oats or whatever, I feel we are hiring out of the same pool as an Alford to be honest.

Very wrong on the Alford stance. If the guy didn’t swish free throws at Assembly Hall his name wouldn’t even be mentioned here.

He has had all the opportunity he needs to earn a spot in a power 5 coach conversation.

Honestly, if my only two choices as an AD were to hire either Alford or Crean to resurrect Montana State, Crean would easily be my choice.

I think the conversation of a new coach is warranted given the expectations set fourth by the hiring AD Glass, not the fan base, that Miller get the program back to competing for B1G championships and making deep runs in the NCAAT. Year 4 and thus far nothing but fools gold or not, Miller will get 5-6 years minimum unless an opportunity presents itself.

You can’t say that he hasn’t been close. You can’t say that the type of culture he wants isn’t clear and close to what fans would get behind. I think he wasn’t as well rounded and what most people expected or wanted and he needs to rethink his staff if he has long term intentions.

Stop ‘giving credit’ to a bad Purdue team for kicking you in the nuts on your home court and get angry about it.

‘Well tonight a terrible Purdue team came in here and kicked our @ss. They come in here and shoot 70% from 3 point range while averaging 23% on the season. If Purdue is bad and we allow them to do that then what’s that make us? I’ve thrown away things that made more sense.’

Spit some tobacky and tell it like it is. You better believe it’s on you Archie and the eyes that matter are watching you. I was in your corner once, now I’m straddling the fence but only because the right people aren’t available at the moment. Wooo me. Draw me back in.

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I was actually going to ask what happened with White.  For awhile there he was really heating up as one of the next big things, but I don't hear much about him anymore and they don't seem to be tearing it up at FL.  Did he forget how to coach or is he the real deal?

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/15/mike-white-florida-gators-basketball-could-be-on-the-hot-seat/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-basketball-fans-call-for-coaching-change-after-worst-home-loss-of-mike-white-era/

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/08/30/florida-basketball-time-running-head-coach-mike-white/

Archived