It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dolson is a yes man.  We had 2 solid candidates but chose that bozo instead.  It wasn't by accident or stupidity. 

What candidates were there? I haven’t heard much about the process other than the standard we got our guy lines. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can tell you 100% that the former players I have talked to were not high on Archie or excited about the hire.  I have not had the chance to talk with anyone recently but up until Covid started I talked with multiple former players who were not excited by the hire and don’t thing he is the guy.

Side note I will also say that two of them noted they wanted Alford so I can’t say they’re the best judge.  I also know that those players have not been boycotting the team by any means but they didn’t think Archie was the choice.  Suspect they don’t even more now.

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I might have missed this...but does anyone have any real idea what Scott Dolson thinks of Archie? Glass hired Archie obviously, but is Dolson in Archie's corner or does he want to bring in his own guy? 

I really hope for Archie to succeed and elevate this team to more "W's"...it has seemed all season minus the Texas game that this team is playing everyone close but can't turn the corner and turn some of those moral victories into wins. I still want to believe in Archie and that he will get IU to where they need to be, but I am becoming more skeptical and as some have mentioned...something just seems a little off with his teams (besides lack of shooting) that I can't figure out. I understand how some are frustrated, however, I will see how the season plays out before burning an effigy.

I used to hear things about Glass and the department routinely but with Covid can’t get out like we used to.  I have not heard anything about Dolson one way or the other because of it.

17 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Side note I will also say that two of them noted they wanted Alford so I can’t say they’re the P1best judge.

Scott Dolson, IU student manager from 1984-1988.  Alford is someone he is probably super familiar with from both of their days at IU.  Former players saying that is who they want.  Others saying they think it should be an IU guy.

I am just saying for a bunch of the people who don't want Alford, it might be a good idea to pray that Miller figures it out.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Scott Dolson, IU student manager from 1984-1988.  Former players saying they think Alford is the guy.  Alford is someone he is probably super familiar with from both of their days at IU.

I am just saying for a bunch of the people who don't want Alford, it might be a good idea to pray that Miller figures it out.

Can’t argue with that.

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

Very wrong on the Alford stance. If the guy didn’t swish free throws at Assembly Hall his name wouldn’t even be mentioned here.

He has had all the opportunity he needs to earn a spot in a power 5 coach conversation.

Honestly, if my only two choices as an AD were to hire either Alford or Crean to resurrect Montana State, Crean would easily be my choice.

I think the conversation of a new coach is warranted given the expectations set fourth by the hiring AD Glass, not the fan base, that Miller get the program back to competing for B1G championships and making deep runs in the NCAAT. Year 4 and thus far nothing but fools gold or not, Miller will get 5-6 years minimum unless an opportunity presents itself.

You can’t say that he hasn’t been close. You can’t say that the type of culture he wants isn’t clear and close to what fans would get behind. I think he wasn’t as well rounded and what most people expected or wanted and he needs to rethink his staff if he has long term intentions.

Stop ‘giving credit’ to a bad Purdue team for kicking you in the nuts on your home court and get angry about it.

‘Well tonight a terrible Purdue team came in here and kicked our @ss. They come in here and shoot 70% from 3 point range while averaging 23% on the season. If Purdue is bad and we allow them to do that then what’s that make us? I’ve thrown away things that made more sense.’

Spit some tobacky and tell it like it is. You better believe it’s on you Archie and the eyes that matter are watching you. I was in your corner once, now I’m straddling the fence but only because the right people aren’t available at the moment. Wooo me. Draw me back in.

Agree to disagree on Alford and his comparison to Oats, et. al.  I agree with most of the rest of your post though.

22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Scott Dolson, IU student manager from 1984-1988.  Alford is someone he is probably super familiar with from both of their days at IU.  Former players saying that is who they want.  Others saying they think it should be an IU guy.

Yeah, I’m afraid of that. At least I live in the Tampa Bay Area where the Lightning, Rays and Bucs are good

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He was referring to the AD search. Chris Reynolds should have been hired

If IU doesn't have any coaches in the IU family, they should have hired Reynolds as the AD.  Sure Dolson is an IU manager; however, after Fred, IU needs fresh blood in there.  As others have mentioned, Dolson is a yes man.  Not sure if this is true or not.

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

If IU doesn't have any coaches in the IU family, they should have hired Reynolds as the AD.  Sure Dolson is an IU manager; however, after Fred, IU needs fresh blood in there.  As others have mentioned, Dolson is a yes man.  Not sure if this is true or not.

Reynolds would've been fine.  I preferred Kraft.  Reynolds seems super intelligent but also almost too nice if that makes sense.  The hire was anyone but Dolson.

None of my comments are directed at anyone in particular, but the following are some recurring themes:

1) Brad Stevens: for those still dreaming about this?  He is not coming to IU.  I would be ecstatic if he did, but this dream needs a rest. 

2) “An IU guy?”  Why is there a belief this is the best path?  Bob “freakin” Knight played at Ohio State and was coaching at West Point.  This, to me, is both antiquated and self-indulgent.  My wish would be an above board guy, who can coach his ass off.

3) Lastly, Alford?  I would take another decade of Archie as long as Alford never coaches here.  His best runs were at Manchester and New Mexico. In Power conferences he’s coached, his record and consistency are very reminiscent of the current Georgia coach.  Steve Alford is not successful enough to coach at IU.  Further, there is a fair amount of lore floating about the arrogant manner he interacted with folks in Btown (entitled) not to mention the horror story of rape cover-up for a player while at Iowa.  

Let’s face it: Ohio State ate our lunch when they got Chris Holtmann. 

24 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Let’s face it: Ohio State ate our lunch when they got Chris Holtmann. 

And that was pure luck. They wanted Archie so badly, after they fired Matta , they reached out to try to hire Archie after he took the IU job.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2017/06/10/ohio-state-called-archie-miller-coaching-job/

I like oates and i think IU could bring in someone that is very good. 

but 

Does this conversation even happen if iu wouldve beat wisconsin? Or if we win vs iowa thursday? Sometimes people on here go way extreme way fast. Losing sucks but so does only having a negative mindset 24/7

i will say i did not like how archie didnt adjust to purdues BLOB.

Just trying to put in a different perspective here 

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

but 

Does this conversation even happen if iu wouldve beat wisconsin? Or if we win vs iowa thursday? Sometimes people on here go way extreme way fast. Losing sucks but so does only having a negative mindset 24/7

If you go that way you could also say what about if we lost to PSU and Nebraska which both were possible.  Then it would be worse

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

but 

If Haston doesn't hit that shot?  If Moye doesn't make that block?  If Watford doesn't make that shot?

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Haston doesn't hit that shot?  If Moye doesn't make that block?  If Watford doesn't make that shot?

Plump is honest about what that shot meant to the team.

''If I don`t hit that shot, I`d still be pumping gas in Pierceville,''

said Plump, who grew up there, a farming community of about 45 people just east of town.

''It had such a dramatic impact on my life. It gave me the opportunity to meet so many people, to do so many things. I`m so different now than in those days.''

''I would never have gone to college without basketball, without that state championship,'' he said. ''That`s how important all that was to me and all of our guys. Nine of 10 players went to college. That would be an incredible thing to happen even in a big city school during the 1950s.''

''I would never even have considered college, never even thought about it,'' said Truitt, a high school principal. ''That`s what winning did for me. It changed my life. It was more than just a miracle on the basketball floor. It was a miracle of living, too.''

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

If Josh Smith and Rothbart didnt go pro out of high school.  If Sean May committed to IU after recruiting Strickland and Wright.

If Scott May, Ted Kitchell and Alan Henderson don’t get hurt. If Landon Turner doesn’t have a horrible accident. If Glen Grunwald had even a part of the career RMK believed he would.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If Scott May, Ted Kitchell and Alan Henderson don’t get hurt. If Landon Turner doesn’t have a horrible accident. If Glen Grunwald had even a part of the career RMK believed he would.

Only heard stories but:

-Oscar Robinson 

-Wilt Chamberline

And of course Bird.

In my days, if DJ White didn't get hurt and Recker didn't transfer.

Archived