It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2021 at 10:03 PM, IU Scott said:

The problem is that Archie does value defense

And this team moves the ball and gets alot of open looks about the first half of the shot clock. This team (except Franklin) can't hit open looks at the percentages needed. You can't keep having 3 for 15 nights from beyond the arc.

11 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Fair. I just look at Rutgers - a perennial bottom-feeder and they’re on par with IU recently with much less talent.  

Collins took NW to tourney - again with less talent than IU. Getting to tourney is not the threshold, but at NW I think it sort of is.   Especially in B1G

I’ll defend Archie until the end, but I think these guys are two good coaches and perhaps upgrades. 

curious if they’d move to a team in their own conference?    Also wonder if Collins would be considered for Duke in a couple years. 

And sadly, it's that way with IU fans now......

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

I was 100000% behind the Archie hire.  But these guys are coaching in a different conference than where Archie came from. 

Different conference, but the same basic logic: if (insert coach's name here) can do (insert accomplishment level here) at (insert perceived inferior program here), then imagine what they can do at IU. 

I still believe in the Archie hire. If the administration is firing CAM for coaches based on projections, then I have a long and miserable decade as an IU fan ahead of me.  If IU is bowing to fan pressure and firing CAM now, they better show-the-money and hire someone who will land star recruits and win immediately (Donavan, or Stephens). It better be an absolute slam dunk hire.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is the interesting one to me.  More interesting than Oats or any of the other names we have bantered about on this thread.

He is having success at a lower level but I think you don't just wander into that kind of success without having an understanding of coaching.   It is not like IWU was a powerhouse before he arrived either.

Bring him in, hire a Michael Lewis that has been recruiting as an assistant and look to round the staff out with some recruiting guys and see what he can do.  He is lower level but the state HS coaches have to be familiar with him.

He is one guy that as an AD I might be willing to take a risk on.

For some reason I love this idea.  Of course after exhausting all of the big offers for Stevens and whoever other big names we want.  

4 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Different conference, but the same basic logic: if (insert coach's name here) can do (insert accomplishment level here) at (insert perceived inferior program here), then imagine what they can do at IU. 

I still believe in the Archie hire. If the administration is firing CAM for coaches based on projections, then I have a long and miserable decade as an IU fan ahead of me.  If IU is bowing to fan pressure and firing CAM now, they better show-the-money and hire someone who will land star recruits and win immediately (Donavan, or Stephens). It better be an absolute slam dunk hire.

Exactly...Couldn't like this post more...

18 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Dwayne Stephens would be a terrible hire.

19 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I think/hope Archie is still the guy, but I’d argue that what a coach is accomplishing in the current B1G outweighs what a coach did in the Atlantic 10. 

I agree that a good record in the B1G is more impressive than in the A10, but it is still a projection that they would do MUCH better at IU.

Pikiell and Collins - have a combined 2+1=3 NCAA appearances (+1 for Rutgers last year) between them in combined 20+ seasons of coaching and 2 winning records in the B1G between them (NW in 2016-17 at 10-8 and RU in 2019-2020 at 11-9) over 11 combined seasons. 

9 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I agree that a good record in the B1G is more impressive than in the A10, but it is still a projection that they would do MUCH better at IU.

Pikiell and Collins - have a combined 2+1=3 NCAA appearances (+1 for Rutgers last year) between them in combined 20+ seasons of coaching and 2 winning records in the B1G between them (NW in 2016-17 at 10-8 and RU in 2019-2020 at 11-9) over 11 combined seasons. 

Are we comparing Rutgers and Northwestern to IU??? 

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

Fair. I just look at Rutgers - a perennial bottom-feeder and they’re on par with IU recently with much less talent.  

Collins took NW to tourney - again with less talent than IU. Getting to tourney is not the threshold, but at NW I think it sort of is.   Especially in B1G. 

I’ll defend Archie until the end, but I think these guys are two good coaches and perhaps upgrades. 

curious if they’d move to a team in their own conference?    Also wonder if Collins would be considered for Duke in a couple years. 

47 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Are we comparing Rutgers and Northwestern to IU??? 

Dolan to major donors: OK next on the agenda I need $10M to buy out Archie Miller and hire Collins or Pikiell

77E7A395-1B3E-481C-8E19-753385C841FE.gif.37fdc500a62c2b69bef60ab59f7e70d1.gif

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Dolan to major donors: OK next on the agenda I need $10M to buy out Archie Miller and hire Collins or Pikiell

77E7A395-1B3E-481C-8E19-753385C841FE.gif.37fdc500a62c2b69bef60ab59f7e70d1.gif

Steve Pickell career record- 268-240 .528%

Chris Collins career record- 115-125 .472%

Archie Millers career record- 202-112 .643%

Could you imagine going to the president and saying we are firing a coach with a 64% winning percentage for a guy who is around a 50% winning percentage.  That is exactly what just happened at Texas football and it just doesn't make sense.

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If I remember correctly he had already signed Tom Prichard and Matt Roth and received a commitment from Derek Elston.  He had already signed Devin Ebanks too who got a release from his LOI and ended up at West Virginia. I don’t remember how he turned out off court. The three who ended up at IU had no problems. It’s a shame what happened. 

Lance Stephenson was also an IU lean if i remember correctly.

Not saying Archie is going anywhere after this year (I think he gets his fifth year for all the reasons posted), but if the right opportunity was there with the right coach I think the money would be there.  Names like Simon and Cook are the obvious ones, but lots of names not on buildings with money and a love of IU basketball.  But it has to be the right coach with a proven background.

6 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am frustrated as anybody right now. But the whole "Archie is lost" or can't cut it at IU seems a bit premature right now.

I want the full season to play out. Trends are not good, but momentum is a weird thing. Not giving up just yet. 

I still have hope. 

Not sure how. I’m for letting it play out this year. But I have zero hope it gets better. It’s been almost 4 seasons of this mediocrity. That’s plenty of time to make a determination IMO. 

How this squad can piss away a home game to a team like Purdue is this year is amazing. Truly amazing. 

There was no heart involved. I can’t wait for the freshmen to feel the power of a fully loaded Assembly Hall. If at that point you don’t play with heart then hope is lost.

On the other hand, even if were allowed, fans won’t turn out to watch some wax fruit. Seen that movie before.

6 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am frustrated as anybody right now. But the whole "Archie is lost" or can't cut it at IU seems a bit premature right now.

I want the full season to play out. Trends are not good, but momentum is a weird thing. Not giving up just yet. 

I still have hope. 

He's lost. 

30 minutes ago, Inequality said:

How this squad can piss away a home game to a team like Purdue is this year is amazing. Truly amazing. 

There was no heart involved. I can’t wait for the freshmen to feel the power of a fully loaded Assembly Hall. If at that point you don’t play with heart then hope is lost.

On the other hand, even if were allowed, fans won’t turn out to watch some wax fruit. Seen that movie before.

Think about Lander trying to shoot in a jacked up AH. The kid would shoot it over the back board every time. Most of his 3 makes are banks now with no one in the stands, the kids so nervous.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Steve Pickell career record- 268-240 .528%

Chris Collins career record- 115-125 .472%

Archie Millers career record- 202-112 .643%

Could you imagine going to the president and saying we are firing a coach with a 64% winning percentage for a guy who is around a 50% winning percentage.  That is exactly what just happened at Texas football and it just doesn't make sense.

Fair enough.  I didn’t look up win percentages, I’m just more impressed lately by the job those two have done compared to Archie - unfortunately - particularly Pikiell.  

Archived