It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Fair enough.  I didn’t look up win percentages, I’m just more impressed lately by the job those two have done compared to Archie - unfortunately - particularly Pikiell.  

That is the thing is everyone thinks Rutgers is having this great season but they are 3-5 in the big ten.  Last year everyone though they had a great season but they were only two games ahead if us.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is the thing is everyone thinks Rutgers is having this great season but they are 3-5 in the big ten.  Last year everyone though they had a great season but they were only two games ahead if us.

For Rutgers basketball they are having a good season.  Played several games without Harper as well.  They’ve had some good wins but some losses to teams they shouldn’t have lost to

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

This just reminds me a lot of years 4-5 of the Mike Davis era.  Total apathy from the fan base, recruiting falling off a cliff, and a coach that looks miserable and completely clueless on how to fix things.

Agreed.  Apathy is about to set in for good for a lot of fans.  The next hire is extremely important.  I never thought I’d see the day when IU football, IU women’s basketball, IU baseball, are all ranked higher than IU basketball.  Men’s soccer is also ranked I believe but they are always good.

40 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

This just reminds me a lot of years 4-5 of the Mike Davis era.  Total apathy from the fan base, recruiting falling off a cliff, and a coach that looks miserable and completely clueless on how to fix things.

Go back and watch the videos from when Archie first got to IU. I remember thinking he didn’t realize what he is stepping into. Looked like a deer in the headlights. I think he is trying his best but is in over his head. I felt like his opening press conferences were trying to talk himself as well as the fan base/players into this working. I will give anyone a fair shot and have been supportive until lately. I hope he figures it out, but Im skeptical.  

46 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Go back and watch the videos from when Archie first got to IU. I remember thinking he didn’t realize what he is stepping into. Looked like a deer in the headlights. I think he is trying his best but is in over his head. I felt like his opening press conferences were trying to talk himself as well as the fan base/players into this working. I will give anyone a fair shot and have been supportive until lately. I hope he figures it out, but Im skeptical.  

It was no Adam Gase but it definitely left me wondering if he was even excited about the job.  

42 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It was no Adam Gase but it definitely left me wondering if he was even excited about the job.  

Yeah. Like I said when we hired Sampson, Crean, and then Miller that I will give anyone a chance and be positive until I can’t. But I felt that he took the job because he couldn’t turn it down. He didn’t take it because this is where he truly wanted to be. 

I felt Crean and Sampson both wanted to be here. Crean had enthusiasm for this place until he was gone. Gotta give him credit for that. 

22 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Yeah. Like I said when we hired Sampson, Crean, and then Miller that I will give anyone a chance and be positive until I can’t. But I felt that he took the job because he couldn’t turn it down. He didn’t take it because this is where he truly wanted to be. 

I felt Crean and Sampson both wanted to be here. Crean had enthusiasm for this place until he was gone. Gotta give him credit for that. 

Why don’t you think Archie wants to be at a blue blood school like IU?   He always talks about the fans and Assembly Hall.  Seems like he loves the environment.   

I remember one of his early interviews where he said he called his dad telling him he thought he had a legit shot at getting hired and was like a dream come true.   

Why don’t you think Archie wants to be at a blue blood school like IU?   He always talks about the fans and Assembly Hall.  Seems like he loves the environment.   

I remember one of his early interviews where he said he called his dad telling him he thought he had a legit shot at getting hired and was like a dream come true.   

Buyers remorse. His body language has always felt off. He isn’t comfortable here IMO. He will say the right things, but I don’t think he believes it. More like he is trying to talk himself into it. 

He looked almost scared in his first press conference. His words were fine, but he didn’t really exude confidence. Almost like he knew he wasn’t good enough but he had to take the job. 

6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Buyers remorse. His body language has always felt off. He isn’t comfortable here IMO. He will say the right things, but I don’t think he believes it. More like he is trying to talk himself into it. 

He looked almost scared in his first press conference. His words were fine, but he didn’t really exude confidence. Almost like he knew he wasn’t good enough but he had to take the job. 

Archie Miller doesn't strike me as someone who has ever had much of an issue with confidence. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Interesting observation.  I view him as extremely confident and just doesn’t like all the BS media stuff.  

Interesting observation.  I view him as extremely confident and just doesn’t like all the BS media stuff.  

You could be right. I view it as fake shell. Someone who acts tough. I could be completely off base. So obviously this is pure observation and speculation. Teams usually take on the  personality of their coach. Well I see a soft team that tries to act hard.  A team that lacks confidence. A team that talks a good game but can’t back it up. I’ve seen that from Archie from day one. But I could be 100% wrong and hope that I am. I hope that he figures it out and is here for 30 years. I just don’t think that’s the case.

I could be biased in my own speculation/experiences. My job requires me to find confident and competent people, as we have people’s lives in our hands (healthcare). So when I interview, I look for people who have confidence in their ability bc they are good at what they do. Through experience, I can typically tell who is feeding me false confidence bc they want a good job and who is the real deal and I want to hire. I can’t say I’ve been 100%, but I’ve been above 90% in my assessments from hiring to their work performance. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

You could be right. I view it as fake shell. Someone who acts tough. I could be completely off base. So obviously this is pure observation and speculation. Teams usually take on the  personality of their coach. Well I see a soft team that tries to act hard.  A team that lacks confidence. A team that talks a good game but can’t back it up. I’ve seen that from Archie from day one. But I could be 100% wrong and hope that I am. I hope that he figures it out and is here for 30 years. I just don’t think that’s the case.

I could be biased in my own speculation/experiences. My job requires me to find confident and competent people, as we have people’s lives in our hands (healthcare). So when I interview, I look for people who have confidence in their ability bc they are good at what they do. Through experience, I can typically tell who is feeding me false confidence bc they want a good job and who is the real deal and I want to hire. I can’t say I’ve been 100%, but I’ve been above 90% in my assessments from hiring to their work performance. 

The guy averaged 10ppg in the ACC's heyday as a 5'10" guard, has coached in just about every major conference, comes from a coaching family and has been around the game since he was a little kid. I doubt he's carrying around some fake shell or fake tough guy act.

I don't mean this directed at you specifically, but one thing I can't stand is when we get to this part of a coaches tenure and all of the sudden we're bringing out that his ego is why we're losing, his assistants don't do anything, he's fake tough, he's mean to people in the office, he turned down a kid wanting an autograph, etc., etc.

12 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Interesting.  I don’t see that in him, but I could be way off too.  I sense he’s frustrated - definitely. We all are. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The guy averaged 10ppg in the ACC's heyday as a 5'10" guard, has coached in just about every major conference, comes from a coaching family and has been around the game since he was a little kid. I doubt he's carrying around some fake shell or fake tough guy act.

I don't mean this directed at you specifically, but one thing I can't stand is when we get to this part of a coaches tenure and all of the sudden we're bringing out that his ego is why we're losing, his assistants don't do anything, he's fake tough, he's mean to people in the office, he turned down a kid wanting an autograph, etc., etc.

It doesn’t come out at the beginning because people don’t want to sink a coach before he is given a chance. Then when continued losing happens it becomes toxic. 

Maybe his playing career and his upbringing has given him a false sense of knowing what he is doing. Which at a level he does. Maybe just not at the high major level. 

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Interesting.  I don’t see that in him, but I could be way off too.  I sense he’s frustrated - definitely. We all are. 

We are all frustrated for sure. I hope he figures it out. I still think if he can that’s the best for everyone. But time is running out. He has to know that as well. 

30 minutes ago, Bustout said:

The media isn’t BS though. Part of the job at a school like IU is to deal with the media. He has the opportunity to use the media to his advantage. Use them to shape a perception of the program that could help with recruiting and fan excitement. Instead it falls flat. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

The media isn’t BS though. Part of the job at a school like IU is to deal with the media. He has the opportunity to use the media to his advantage. Use them to shape a perception of the program that could help with recruiting and fan excitement. Instead it falls flat. 

Agree. I just think he hates that part of the job ... and I think he’d hate it at any other school he was coaching.    

Just now, Bustout said:

Agree. I just think he hates that part of the job ... and I think he’d hate it at any other school he was coaching.    

Which is part of that buyers remorse that we mentioned above. He took a job but the job is much bigger than just coaching basketball. He strikes me as a guy who would fit at a football power like Alabama or Georgia where he can just coach. 

7 minutes ago, Feathery said:

It doesn’t come out at the beginning because people don’t want to sink a coach before he is given a chance. Then when continued losing happens it becomes toxic. 

Maybe his playing career and his upbringing has given him a false sense of knowing what he is doing. Which at a level he does. Maybe just not at the high major level. 

I think it comes out later because fans on a message board are hunting for narratives to point too. 

This thing is still very much up in the air. Archie has at least a season and a half. He may get this going, he may not, if he doesn't I doubt it's because of his ego, fake confidence or because he turned down an autograph once time. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I think it comes out later because fans on a message board are hunting for narratives to point too. 

This thing is still very much up in the air. Archie has at least a season and a half. He may get this going, he may not, if he doesn't I doubt it's because of his ego, fake confidence or because he turned down an autograph once time. 

Damn autographs. Lol. If he fails I think it will be because of ego or false confidence in himself. He seems to be controlling the offense way too much. He needs to stop having the players look over for a play and let them just play. Let the PG’s call the play, don’t micromanage the crap out of the game. Show the players you have confidence in them and they may surprise him by playing with some confidence. The ability is there to be a much better shooting/offensive team. The confidence is not. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is what it is, and I understand your point, but.........it’s still sad to read the words “Rutgers was “ONLY” two games ahead of us”

Rutgers

Basketball

”Only” two games ahead of Indiana basketball in the Big Ten.

Say it out loud and it sounds worse.

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Which is part of that buyers remorse that we mentioned above. He took a job but the job is much bigger than just coaching basketball. He strikes me as a guy who would fit at a football power like Alabama or Georgia where he can just coach. 

If IU didn’t hire him, he would’ve been at O$U ... big football school, but also big hoops too (more so than any SEC school).   

if/when he turns it around and they start winning, it’ll be interesting to see how his interactions with the media become.   He always seems fine on Don’s radio show.  

get TJD back next season - and we should find out as they should be near top if he comes back.  

Archived