It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said previously, if I were Dolson I'd give him a 2 year extension with a slight raise, but the buyout stays at 3 mil. That would answer the recruiting question.

But, I'd also have an ultra serious talk. We can't tread water forever. You have to start competing for the top spot.

In other words, "here's a little more rope. You can use it as a lifeline, or make it into a moose."

This one is made of wicker, but I think rope would be pretty cool too :coffee:

Wicker Grapevine Wicker Moose Head For Sale - Image 7 of 9

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't know if I'm completely sold he can't motivate, but it shocks me.  Like BGleas has said a few times, that's what I thought we were getting.  I thought we were headed to a team that would be hard nosed, tough, physical, solid D, etc.  I would have never dreamed that he wouldn't be able to motivate and get guys to play hard.  Today's bball society is so tough though.  Kids' attitudes and personalities are so tough and unpredictable.  I'm glad I'll be done with travel ball in a couple years.  It's only gonna get worse.    

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You have to coddle players to much and be PC.  You can't really get into kids nay longer because the parents will pull the kids out and transfer.  that what happens when people are to soft today.

I get that, but look at Tom Allen. 80% of that team would crawl through barbed wire for him

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said previously, if I were Dolson I'd give him a 2 year extension with a slight raise, but the buyout stays at 3 mil. That would answer the recruiting question.

But, I'd also have an ultra serious talk. We can't tread water forever. You have to start competing for the top spot.

In other words, "here's a little more rope. You can use it as a lifeline, or make it into a moose."

If you have to extend him because recruits aren't sure if he'll still be around, then it's probably better to just fire him and remove all doubt. 

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

I get that, but look at Tom Allen. 80% of that team would crawl through barbed wire for him

For sure!  That's the most important thing.  Allen could be a terrible X's and O's guy and still do pretty well because of that.  I have this weird feeling Greg Tonagel from IU Weslyan could be the same.  

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And when needed he gets into his players as well because the players he has can handle it.  It just seems like football players are tougher and can handle some discipline but basketball players seems like divas.

Just now, TheWatShot said:

If you have to extend him because recruits aren't sure if he'll still be around, then it's probably better to just fire him and remove all doubt. 

We all know he's getting next year...just remove any leverage other coaches think they'd have on the recruiting trail.

If you don't, and he has a really successful year next year, you've cut your own throat on at least one recruiting class...if he doesn't, THEN you can fire him for the same buyout and nothing lost in recruiting...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We all know he's getting next year...just remove any leverage other coaches think they'd have on the recruiting trail.

If you don't, and he has a really successful year next year, you've cut your own throat on at least one recruiting class...if he doesn't, THEN you can fire him for the same buyout and nothing lost in recruiting...

His recruiting has already fallen off. Recruits aren’t stupid they can see a dead man walking regardless of a contract extension. 

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't know if I'm completely sold he can't motivate, but it shocks me.  Like BGleas has said a few times, that's what I thought we were getting.  I thought we were headed to a team that would be hard nosed, tough, physical, solid D, etc.  I would have never dreamed that he wouldn't be able to motivate and get guys to play hard.  Today's bball society is so tough though.  Kids' attitudes and personalities are so tough and unpredictable.  I'm glad I'll be done with travel ball in a couple years.  It's only gonna get worse.    

Yeah, I'm so shocked that in year 4 we're dealing with this crap. I personally think today was on the players. 

With that said, I agree with the others that this has been a consistent problem under Archie. I really, really thought the one slam dunk with hiring Archie was going to be a tough-nosed, physical team. A team like Wisconsin, MSU, Virginia, etc. I'm just scratching my head that this has been a consistent problem. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You have to coddle players to much and be PC.  You can't really get into kids nay longer because the parents will pull the kids out and transfer.  that what happens when people are to soft today.

Very true; however, there are more than one way to motivate.  He could use the bench, then again that would probably cause a transfer or two.

A co-worker of mine has a couple of boys playing AAU and he is beside himself, because he is of the old school mode.  He hast told me that losing in AAU is not a big deal because you have another game later that day, so every game is not that important for them.  I see that in the players today.  Also, he said the parents take out most if not obstacles that would help them learn and deal with adversity, instead mommy & daddy take care of it for them.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

His recruiting has already fallen off. Recruits aren’t stupid they can see a dead man walking regardless of a contract extension. 

No need to make stuff up...we did just fine with this present freshman class, have a top 100 big coming in, and Stewart...

But, you can keep on wishing...

1 minute ago, BDB said:

Very true; however, there are more than one way to motivate.  He could use the bench, then again that would probably cause a transfer or two.

A co-worker of mine has a couple of boys playing AAU and he is beside himself, because he is of the old school mode.  He hast told me that losing in AAU is not a big deal because you have another game later that day, so every game is not that important for them.  I see that in the players today.  Also, he said the parents take out most if not obstacles that would help them learn and deal with adversity, instead mommy & daddy take care of it for them.

Most don't care if they win.  They play so many games year round that they are desensitized.  

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

That is what I have heard as well about parents being a huge problem in youth sports.  If their kids are not getting the right playing time they will move their kids or get on the coach.

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Most don't care if they win.  They play so many games year round that they are desensitized.  

I have said for over 20 years that AAU has ruined basketball because he spreads entitlement.  It also takes away the fundamentals of the game and like people said the desire to win games.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

There's just not really much to back this up. 

I think to many is looking at the 21 class and we lost a couple of targets they think is totally fallen off  I am nit that worried ab out recruiting right now but if we have another year where we don't get top targets then will worry.  From the sound of it we will get a commit from an Indiana kid in the 22 class in Gunn from LN

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think to many is looking at the 21 class and we lost a couple of targets they think is totally fallen off  I am nit that worried ab out recruiting right now but if we have another year where we don't get top targets then will worry.  From the sound of it we will get a commit from an Indiana kid in the 22 class in Gunn from LN

We got our very top target on the '21 class. He scored 6 points today. 

Days like today make me wonder if IU should have just hired Alford after Davis was let go...could we be in any worse shape? Would he still be here? I would say so looking back now..we have had 3 coaches since Davis and been on probation, losing seasons  and outside of a few good seasons from Crean..mediocre at best.

Archived