VS Iowa(LOSS)

@ NW (WIN)

@OSU (LOSS)

vs Minny(WIN)

VS MSU (WIN) Since we own them

@Rutgers(WIN)

Vs MU (LOSS)

@PU (LOSS)

4-5 over that stretch would put us at 13-12 and 8-10 BIG Not sure how 13-12 is better than 20-12 

Like I said last night in a normal year we would have had 4 more non conference games.  More than likely those would have been 4 games against low majors so that would be 4 more wins.  Right now in a normal year we would be 13-7 and maybe the out look would be a little different.  Also we will probably make up those two games that was postponed.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I actually think we’re in a better spot now than Crean’s last year. Even if Archie gets fired after year 5 I think the roster would be in a better position than Archie’s first year. 

Could be but how many will leave if there is a coaching change

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

No way he gets 2 or 3 more years to prove it. He will get next season and then his contract length will dictate action. He will either get fired at a $3 mil buyout or he will get an extension. If we miss the NCAA’s this year then next year is a hot seat for sure. If he makes it this year and again next year, then an extension is likely. 

There is no way he gets a 6th year if we don't show great improvement.

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Because when you look at the selection criteria we are better than last year almost across the board and when you look at projections many have us higher than they had us last year.

The next 6 weeks will obviously be a big factor there....

Massey composite index:

End of year rankings for 2019-2020: IU 37th

Currently: 38th

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Not responding to this post specifically but in my mind IU isn’t paying Archie to improve in Kenpom. I love Kenpom, check it regularly, and understand it’s value. What we pay Archie for is competing for Big Ten titles, making the NCAA, and having a run every few years. So far he hasn’t done any of that. I can appreciate the improvement, but he was brought it to be a to get the team to a standard that he hasn’t been close to yet. The Big Ten is tough, then Archie needs to recruit and coach to a level to be towards the top of the conference. It’s been 4 years and there are no more excuses. He will get next year, and that’s going to be the make or break season IMO. 

That is why I really hate when people make decisions solely on analytics because it doesn't tell the whole story.  The only stats that really matters is the win/loss column. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Not responding to this post specifically but in my mind IU isn’t paying Archie to improve in Kenpom. I love Kenpom, check it regularly, and understand it’s value. What we pay Archie for is competing for Big Ten titles, making the NCAA, and having a run every few years. So far he hasn’t done any of that. I can appreciate the improvement, but he was brought it to be a to get the team to a standard that he hasn’t been close to yet. The Big Ten is tough, then Archie needs to recruit and coach to a level to be towards the top of the conference. It’s been 4 years and there are no more excuses. He will get next year, and that’s going to be the make or break season IMO. 

I don't disagree with that at all; I'm not going to pretend conference championships and tournament runs aren't the most important thing.

My whole response and defense of KenPom was to the notion that it isn't important. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If that's how things end up it's probably fair to have a conversation about how that and all the metrics the committee looks at compare to last season. 

But in our current reality, we are better almost across the board in terms of what the selection committee looks at. We could go 9-0, we could go 0-9, or anything in between; obviously a lot can change in 6 weeks. Let's cross that bridge when we get there. 

Archie's longest big 10 winning streak is 4.  I would say the odds of a 9-0 finish would be almost zero. 

I was all for firing Crean.  I was fairly excited when we hired Archie.  The thing is, I feel like Crean did a good job of getting us from rock bottom to a competitive level, but we all pretty much figured out he wasn't the guy to get us to the level we expect.  Now it is awful hard to say Archie has shown much progress in reaching that level.  I'm not screaming for him to be fired, but if we end this season where I think we will, we better really tear it up next year or I can't imagine him surviving. 

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

If we play well, 4-5 is reasonable.  

Agree.  Which puts us at 13-12 (8-10).  Even with a strong SOS that won't get us in imo.  Nothing in this team's history suggests we should expect a change in current trajectory except maybe Lander and the other freshman suddenly clicking.  

40 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

NEXT 9 games my predictions

VS Illinois (LOSS)

VS Iowa(LOSS)

@ NW (WIN)

@OSU (LOSS)

vs Minny(WIN)

VS MSU (WIN) Since we own them

@Rutgers(WIN)

Vs MU (LOSS)

@PU (LOSS)

4-5 over that stretch would put us at 13-12 and 8-10 BIG Not sure how 13-12 is better than 20-12 

Split the Illinois and Iowa games and beat Northwestern, and we only have to go 4-4 against OSU, Minnesota, MSU x2, Rutgers, Michigan x2, and Purdue to get to 10-10.  Really shouldn’t be that difficult IMO.

39 minutes ago, Feathery said:

No way he gets 2 or 3 more years to prove it. He will get next season and then his contract length will dictate action. He will either get fired at a $3 mil buyout or he will get an extension. If we miss the NCAA’s this year then next year is a hot seat for sure. If he makes it this year and again next year, then an extension is likely. 

You covered this more in your last post and in that one I think most largely agree, again, it's just premature now, imo, to be making any kind of projections on what IU will or wont' do. Generally though, the U won't fire a coach after 5 years, no matter how loud message board chatter like this is. What some want and what IU is likely to do do not necessarily converge. Then there's disregarding that we lost Brunk early, and that just that loss has already probably cost us a couple of wins. In any event, time will tell, and while I have issues with the way CAM runs his offense, I am one hoping he gets the team firing on all cylinders and sooner rather than later. 

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Split the Illinois and Iowa games and beat Northwestern, and we only have to go 4-4 against OSU, Minnesota, MSU x2, Rutgers, Michigan x2, and Purdue to get to 10-10.  Really shouldn’t be that difficult IMO.

If we go 10-10, I'll be surprises, impressed, and pretty happy.  We are probably good enough to pull the upset any night and who knows?  Just hard to see a reason to think we'll play consistent enough to go above .500 in the B1G the rest of the way.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said last night in a normal year we would have had 4 more non conference games.  More than likely those would have been 4 games against low majors so that would be 4 more wins.  Right now in a normal year we would be 13-7 and maybe the out look would be a little different.  Also we will probably make up those two games that was postponed.

13-7 and unranked still isn't going to do it for most of this fanbase. Plus, if we had 4 crap games to add to our win total, our SOS numbers that are the main reason we're projected in the tournament right now would take a hit. 

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

13-7 and unranked still isn't going to do it for most of this fanbase. Plus, if we had 4 crap games to add to our win total, our SOS numbers that are the main reason we're projected in the tournament right now would take a hit. 

More talking about getting onto the tournament

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If we can't reschedule the B1G games that were postponed, we need to try and get Colgate as an opponent in a replacement game.  A win against them would add a signature victory to our resume'.    

I know you’re just joking but that’s actually not a bad idea!

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Listened to a radio show yesterday that said 3 was the longest. IU has never won 4 in a row under Archie in 4 years.

He has won 4 in a row.
In Archie’s second year we went on a brutal streak of losing 11 out of 12 games but then won the last 4 regular season games in a row. After those wins we sadly decided to not show up for the opening BTT game against OSU.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

He has won 4 in a row.
In Archie’s second year we went on a brutal streak of losing 11 out of 12 games but then won the last 4 regular season games in a row. After those wins we sadly decided to not show up for the opening BTT game against OSU.

it was a btown radio show, so there you have it. ONCE in 4 years an Archie IU team has won 4 in a row.

Archived