It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

IU basketball needs to get stabilized at the top! Before we can expect to be consistent. I probably know just enough about basketball to be stupid! LOL. 
My concern is Can Archie recruit Nation Wide the kind of talent it takes to complete in the Big Ten! I feel I know the answer,but it’s not the one I want it to be.  Who’s the last recruit from out of state we have won that other big time schools were after also. 
IU football corrected its coaching problems by getting rid of Bill Lynch and Doug Mallory because they had no ideal on how to recruit the type of players we need to complete in the BigTen. Coach Wilson got us started and now Tom Allen has taken the next steps. 
Archie better hire a great recruiting coach to help him or IU needs to hire a coach who can recruit top talent! And a coaching staff that can help. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

IU basketball needs to get stabilized at the top! Before we can expect to be consistent. I probably know just enough about basketball to be stupid! LOL. 
My concern is Can Archie recruit Nation Wide the kind of talent it takes to complete in the Big Ten! I feel I know the answer,but it’s not the one I want it to be.  Who’s the last recruit from out of state we have won that other big time schools were after also. 
IU football corrected its coaching problems by getting rid of Bill Lynch and Doug Mallory because they had no ideal on how to recruit the type of players we need to complete in the BigTen. Coach Wilson got us started and now Tom Allen has taken the next steps. 
Archie better hire a great recruiting coach to help him or IU needs to hire a coach who can recruit top talent! And a coaching staff that can help. 

I think Kenya Hunter is that “great recruiting coach” you’ve referred to. 

13 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

The '21 class was considered a gold mine in the state of Indiana and he whiffed on everybody. Our only incoming recruit is averaging 4 turnovers a game the last couple weeks and probably won't see anymore playing time than Leal and Lander are getting right now. 

Recruiting is just stalled right now. We've had one commitment in the past year. Losing and looking bad on the court have consequences. This is kind of why it's important to win early and show people you're on the upswing. The Archie Miller 5 year rebuilding plan just isn't doing it for most people, including recruits. 

It was considered a gold mine in part because of Khristian Lander as the best player in the class. We got him.

If you want to say that he doesn't count for getting anyone from '21, then you can't call that class a goldmine anymore. At least be consistent in your relentless attempts to be a trash fan. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It was considered a gold mine in part because of Khristian Lander as the best player in the class. We got him.

If you want to say that he doesn't count for getting anyone from '21, then you can't call that class a goldmine anymore. At least be consistent in your relentless attempts to be a trash fan. 

It’s so funny to me, there are plenty of genuine reasons to be concerned for the future of this program that exaggerating and moving goalposts isn’t even necessary. I don’t get why it happens so often. 

21 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

I honestly have no idea what that means 😂

But if I'm following, the thought is that he might try to get Alford here, is that it?

At this point I think we should look at Fife, but at this point I really don't know who else to consider.

Not sure on Alford but I meant that dolson has been Glass’s biggest brown nose

Not the best article with a perspective of the Archie Miller time at Indiana in my opinion.  It is understandable though if one takes a negative perspective.  For instance, focusing on the losses and not on the wins...that is intentionally supporting the author's ..."...bottom drops out..." narrative. But, really? Has the bottom dropped out?  Or are the title and the last line in the article simply misleading and clickbait?

I could list excuses why the team and HC Miller lost a bunch or individually those games.  But, I agree with the premise that Indiana must win lots more.   

A perspective might consider Michigan State performance this season.  Even with a HOF HC Michigan State is struggling.  

It really is easy for someone to be against something.  So I will await the next article by the same author stating reasons why Miller is the head coach and should be around for a while. But I won't hold my breath.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection. - Mark Twain

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Brilliant article by our own @The Daily Hoosier  I’ll be honest...might be your best writing yet! Great read.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-has-seen-better-days-and-then-the-bottom-drops-out/

23-19 against high major teams at home... and 15-12 against unranked high major teams at home... is really bad.  Had not seen those numbers before.

1 hour ago, Air Ball said:

Not the best article with a perspective of the Archie Miller time at Indiana in my opinion.  It is understandable though if one takes a negative perspective.  For instance, focusing on the losses and not on the wins...that is intentionally supporting the author's ..."...bottom drops out..." narrative. But, really? Has the bottom dropped out?  Or are the title and the last line in the article simply misleading and clickbait?

I could list excuses why the team and HC Miller lost a bunch or individually those games.  But, I agree with the premise that Indiana must win lots more.   

A perspective might consider Michigan State performance this season.  Even with a HOF HC Michigan State is struggling.  

It really is easy for someone to be against something.  So I will await the next article by the same author stating reasons why Miller is the head coach and should be around for a while. But I won't hold my breath.

9-9 6th, 8-12 8th, 9-11 10th....currently sitting 8th after Minnesota’s loss last night with 6 out 9 games against ranked opponents which you read in the article out record against. So if things continue at the pace we are going...likely another 9th or 10th ranked finish. That is improvement?! That’s treading water....heck that’s barely keeping your head above water. If I went to my boss with those numbers I better be puckering up big time if I want to keep my job...heck we all know I wouldn’t. I’m not saying fire Archie this year but to say the article is click bait to me is unfair. It’s opinion of course...but well supported with facts and statistics. It’s not one sided either as he points out the good as well...but the good is too little and too far in between. I thought the article was witty too but oh well...can’t make everyone happy. I liked it.

I think the finish this year is make or break for Archies tenure. He has 9 games left this year...has to find away to do better than 500. We deserve better than Jeff Fisher coaching. He was hired to do better than that. I know some of our statistics are improving but our competition is improving faster than we are. We are getting passed up. 

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

23-19 against high major teams at home... and 15-12 against unranked high major teams at home... is really bad.  Had not seen those numbers before.

31-39 against B1G opponents...42-48 against high level ncaa opponents overall.... isn’t good enough for any of our B1G brethren...it won’t be for us either unless we see it get turned around soon.

1 hour ago, Air Ball said:

It is the current perspective of where things stand with Archie at IU.  I could write a fan boy piece about patience, and trusting the process midway through his fourth season, but that's not where we are -- at all.  Frankly that would be silly at this point.  

There is no negative perspective -- this is just where we are in the fourth year of a coaching tenure at a prominent high major college basketball program.  The article was full of facts to back up why we are where we are.

Oh, and if you are genuinely waiting for the positive article, here it was after the 2019-20 season.  

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-the-progress-has-been-slow-but-steady-through-three-seasons-under-archie-miller/

I guess I could have written another positive one after the Iowa win, but that buzz lasted about two days -- and that was the entire point of this article -- there are good days -- and then the bottom drops out.  Nowhere did I call for anyone's job.

20 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

It’s so funny to me, there are plenty of genuine reasons to be concerned for the future of this program that exaggerating and moving goalposts isn’t even necessary. I don’t get why it happens so often. 

So if its not we dont have talent to win the Big Ten then the title of the thread is correct. If Archie is this great recruiter then it must be the on floor coaching is why we are 8th or 9th in the the Big Ten every year under him.

2 hours ago, Air Ball said:

Take Izzo out of EVERY convo. with Archie Miller in it. Izzo has missed 1 NCAA Tournament since 1997.

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Take Izzo out of EVERY convo. with Archie Miller in it. Izzo has missed 1 NCAA Tournament since 1997.

Agree, finding a traditionally good team that is struggling and using that as your basis to support why it is okay IU is struggling is not an intellectually honest approach.  What about all of the teams not struggling???

19 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It is the current perspective of where things stand with Archie at IU.  I could write a fan boy piece about patience, and trusting the process midway through his fourth season, but that's not where we are -- at all.  Frankly that would be silly at this point.  

There is no negative perspective -- this is just where we are in the fourth year of a coaching tenure at a prominent high major college basketball program.  The article was full of facts to back up why we are where we are.

Oh, and if you are genuinely waiting for the positive article, here it was after the 2019-20 season.  

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-the-progress-has-been-slow-but-steady-through-three-seasons-under-archie-miller/

I guess I could have written another positive one after the Iowa win, but that buzz lasted about two days -- and that was the entire point of this article -- there are good days -- and then the bottom drops out.  Nowhere did I call for anyone's job.

You wrote an article discussing reality.  Some people are not happy with that because the reality is that things look bleak right now.

The W's and L's are what they are.  You can talk about incremental improvement in certain statistics but the main measuring stick is W's and L's and the Miller run IU program is not measuring up to expectations there.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

First, it is very easy to post a negative comment like I did.  It takes a lot of hard work to author articles for any news outlet.  It also is tough to not take personally negative comments.  So, I for one appreciate those that write and cover the Hoosiers,  Thanks!

Second...I perceived the first paragraphs of the article...iincluding the title as presenting a negative perspective.  'IU basketball has seen better days...and then the bottom drops out'?  I understand teasers.  I see that for what it is.  But the following paragraphs...using words like curse, erratic, one foot getting deeper...quite the perspective.  Followed with a presentation of 2 - 9 losses after big wins.  

Could be that Newton was the point guard the first year.  The cupboard was relatively bare for Indiana as compared with other years and other B1G teams.  Could be that along the way Phin got a serious concussion (the article correctly presented this) and Romeo broke his hand.  Could be that after a bad performance that Indiana knocked off a bunch of Quad 1 opponents.  See what I did there?  

I did not say that I wanted a positive article or perspective.  Just that a negative one was written.  I did not intend to compare Archie Miller's team's performance to that of Izzo's just meant to be saying that at times there are interesting other things going on in any season.  No mention was made of why Glass gave Archie Miller big buyouts through the end of year 5 and 3 million dollars as a buyout in year 6.  Could it be that Indiana basketball has been snakebit by the Administration in the past 2 decades?  Could it be that basketball as a whole has really changed in this region? 

Being 4- 5 in the B1G is not the end of the season and is not the bottom has dropped out.  It certainly is not satisfactory that is for sure. Keep on keeping on.  

I need to get back to posting more. Miss the interaction. Just SO flat about IU hoops. Just isn’t much of anything to hang my hat on. 

come on Archie I really like you as a coach but OMG put something together and win some games. Get IU on a upward swing that can be defended by your supporters. 😫

17 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I need to get back to posting more. Miss the interaction. Just SO flat about IU hoops. Just isn’t much of anything to hang my hat on. 

come on Archie I really like you as a coach but OMG put something together and win some games. Get IU on a upward swing that can be defended by your supporters. 😫

Just post nonsense, I have been getting away with it for years!

We do miss you, sweetie.    🤭

Archived