It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I didn’t want to start a new topic so I came to this one. I was watching the big Ten network and it was playing C Watfords shot that beat Kentucky. Just got me thinking, at that point Tom Crean had really turned the corner! What happened? We had a great year ,but it went down hill after that year! 
was it his lack of strong recruiting are did he change his scheme of all offense no defense! What happened! I know Zeller and Oladipo leaving early hurt him. He didn’t recruit well to replace them. 

9 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Ok, I didn’t want to start a new topic so I came to this one. I was watching the big Ten network and it was playing C Watfords shot that beat Kentucky. Just got me thinking, at that point Tom Crean had really turned the corner! What happened? We had a great year ,but it went down hill after that year! 
was it his lack of strong recruiting are did he change his scheme of all offense no defense! What happened! I know Zeller and Oladipo leaving early hurt him. He didn’t recruit well to replace them. 

Recruiting. Between Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls and Watford, that team lost four guys with over 1,000 points for their career. The next seasons team lacked shooting, so Crean recruited James Blackmon and Robert Johnson. Then the next team lacked size, so Crean recruited Thomas Bryant, Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby. It all came together that year, but then Yogi left and the next team lacked a point guard. Crean was always having to plug holes, often self inflicted holes due to his roster turnover, and I believe that's why he was fired, not his scheme.

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Recruiting. Between Zeller, Oladipo, Hulls and Watford, that team lost four guys with over 1,000 points for their career. The next seasons team lacked shooting, so Crean recruited James Blackmon and Robert Johnson. Then the next team lacked size, so Crean recruited Thomas Bryant, Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby. It all came together that year, but then Yogi left and the next team lacked a point guard. Crean was always having to plug holes, often self inflicted holes due to his roster turnover, and I believe that's why he was fired, not his scheme.

If OG does not get hurt....

40 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I think the fatal mistake Crean made in his recruiting was Josh Newkirk.  He thought he would be ready to step in an run the point after Yogi left.  Clearly he wasn't. Had we had a better PG on that team, it would have been a lot better.  

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think the fatal mistake Crean made in his recruiting was Josh Newkirk.  He thought he would be ready to step in an run the point after Yogi left.  Clearly he wasn't. Had we had a better PG on that team, it would have been a lot better.  

Archie has been trying to recruit over Phinisee since he committed, and my recollection was Crean tried to do the same with Newkirk. I don't think either was viewed as the solution, just neither coach could do better until Lander. 

The big what if for me will always be Tremont Waters. We thought he was ours until a last minute flip to Georgetown, and then again to LSU. And we know his father was looking for benefits. Kid was a stud from day one, if he'd had played it clean and come here, where might the program be now.

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

It didn't go down hill after that year because the next year was when we were #1 for part of the year and got a #1 sed.

10 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Crean was not consistent (I don’t miss his defense, subbing etc but do miss that there were at least some “highs”) but “THE SHOT” you reference was in the 2011-2012 season. We won (WON, as in first place) the Big Ten in two of the following four years. Now we are hoping for .500 and a tourney bid. Just saying.....

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It didn't go down hill after that year because the next year was when we were #1 for part of the year and got a #1 sed.

Your right Scott, my bad but we were right where we wanted to be but couldn’t keep it going. So Crean could coach but was he a bad recruiter. Did he lose an assistant that was his recruiter. What happened? 

19 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That team is a frustrating one to look back on. How do you beat Kansas and Carolina but miss the tournament? 

To my knowledge, that is the only time in NCAA history where a team beat 2 #1 seeds in the regular season and failed to make the tournament.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Indisputable fact through four years: Archie isn’t qualified to hold Crean’s jockstrap.

Prove me wrong.

I don’t believe anyone can make a solid case at all. Maybe not any case.

I can’t stand Crean and was way less excited about his hire than Archie. Crean started with WAY less than Archie.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Indisputable fact through four years: Archie isn’t qualified to hold Crean’s jockstrap.

Prove me wrong.

Job Requirements for holding someone's jock strap:

• One must possess fingers, toes, or teeth
  • Other party must provide one with access to jockstrap (preferably not one currently in use)
  • One must possess the desire to grasp said jockstrap with previously mentioned fingers, toes, or teeth

Archie meets qualification #1.  I don't know much about his toes, but I do know he has fingers and teeth.

Archie needs Crean's help with #2.  But, knowing Crean can be quirky at times, let's assume this could happen.

#3 is the most likely requirement where we could fall short.  That said, is refusing to hold someone else's jockstrap a 'failure'?  Or, does it represent common sense? 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Job Requirements for holding someone's jock strap:

• One must possess fingers, toes, or teeth
  • Other party must provide one with access to jockstrap (preferably not one currently in use)
  • One must possess the desire to grasp said jockstrap with previously mentioned fingers, toes, or teeth

Archie meets qualification #1.  I don't know much about his toes, but I do know he has fingers and teeth.

Archie needs Crean's help with #2.  But, knowing Crean can be quirky at times, let's assume this could happen.

#3 is the most likely requirement where we could fall short.  That said, is refusing to hold someone else's jockstrap a 'failure'?  Or, does it represent common sense? 

I stand corrected...a very solid case can be made. 😎

Archived