It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Archie knows how to shoot too. We don't shoot well because we don't have shooters. I don't know if Archie purposefully doesn't prioritize that in recruiting or if he just hasn't gotten that in his recruiting cycles yet, but he was a high level shooter as well. 

Hunter can shoot, Franklin's shot has improved drastically while at IU, Leal can shoot, Stewart can shoot and it sounds like Gunn can shoot. So it seems like he's working to address it, and I think that has shown this season as well. But, guys like Durham, Phinisee, Galloway, etc. were never shooters. You have to bring people in like Zeisloft, Yogi, Hulls, Watford, etc. to be a better shooting team, you need to recruit shooters to go along with helping guys improve.  

Yes, alot of what you are saying is true, but we have had shooters and currently do and players do get better.  

I beleive it has to do with confidence.  To be a great shooter, you have to think like one and setting up, etc.  It is obvious guys are over thinkinh it, second guessing it.  Archie and staff throw up arms when a shot doesnt fall.  No one shoots 100 perecent and it seems he would do they same if he had Curry on the team, just based on observation.  Let shooters shoot - Belein did this and they missed alot, but when hot they went on deep runs.  

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess that's what boggles my mind. If you've made it to the D1 level you should at least be able to shoot free throws at about 75% +.  

Easiest shot in the game. 

Even field goals, how many games have we spent 3/4 of the game shooting 30% or less?  Then turn it on. 

I guess my point is why do we start slow every game? I just dont understand these slow starts. 

The slow start in most games is on Phin, TJD and Archie Miller.  Watch the first 10 minutes and you will see again and again Phin bringing the ball down and has trouble getting it into the offense. Why does this happen again and again? IU may take a last second in the shot clock shot and it misses.  Then next possession the ball gets into TJD that makes his patented move that has been scouted endlessly.  He doesn't quite get the ball into the basket. Why?  Then the ball goes the other way.  IU is down by 4.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Down by 8.  Al Durham brings the ball down and dribbles into traffic.  Turnover.

OK so Phin did not develop into the stellar PG that was hoped to happen.  And TJD misses his first 3 shots and gets perturbed.  

Is Indiana's bench deep enough to have an excellent PG come in and replace Phin?  Who is TJD's backup?  

I am an Archie MIller fan.  He did great at UD here in Dayton.  But, the recruiting in Bloomington has not panned out.  I do think that it might be getting better.  He has tried but it hasn't happened on the court.

I sincerely wish that Lander turns into the point guard of our dreams and that turns IU;s fortune in the backcourt around.  

But we need shooters too.  And a deeper front line. And a floor general.  And about 4 more points on average per game. etc...

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I’m not sure why this staff being as competent as everyone seems to believe would recruit kids that couldn’t shoot

I think it's a matter of what a coach prefers. At least at this point, it doesn't appear that Archie is going to recruit a Zeisloft, Hulls or James Blackmon Jr, guys that absolutely stroke it but you're clearing sacrificing the defensive side of the ball. 

Maybe that changes, over time, but it doesn't appear he'll do that. That doesn't mean we won't have shooters (Leal, Hunter, Stewart, Gunn) but it's going to be a more difficult recruit to find potentially. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Archie knows how to shoot too. We don't shoot well because we don't have shooters. I don't know if Archie purposefully doesn't prioritize that in recruiting or if he just hasn't gotten that in his recruiting cycles yet, but he was a high level shooter as well. 

Hunter can shoot, Franklin's shot has improved drastically while at IU, Leal can shoot, Stewart can shoot and it sounds like Gunn can shoot. So it seems like he's working to address it, and I think that has shown this season as well. But, guys like Durham, Phinisee, Galloway, etc. were never shooters. You have to bring people in like Zeisloft, Yogi, Hulls, Watford, etc. to be a better shooting team, you need to recruit shooters to go along with helping guys improve.  

Some numbers regarding the shooters; Hunter's 3 point percentage in the Big = 39.4, Durham = 39.2, Franklin 40.9, Leal 41.2.  Combined, these four are 58 for 145 from 3 in the Big (40.5%) Tops in the Big is Iowa with 39.6 and second is Illinois with 39. 

I think the offense isn't emphasizing getting the right guys shots.

3 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Some numbers regarding the shooters; Hunter's 3 point percentage in the Big = 39.4, Durham = 39.2, Franklin 40.9, Leal 41.2.  Combined, these four are 58 for 145 from 3 in the Big (40.5%) Tops in the Big is Iowa with 39.6 and second is Illinois with 39. 

That and the lineups aren't emphasizing it enough. Leal is a fringe rotation guy and Hunter's minutes have been very up and down. 

I hate to rag on him again, but the real issue is Phinisee's shooting and the lack of any perimeter game from TJD and Race. 

13 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Now that I’ll go for

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That and the lineups aren't emphasizing it enough. Leal is a fringe rotation guy and Hunter's minutes have been very up and down. 

I hate to rag on him again, but the real issue is Phinisee's shooting and the lack of any perimeter game from TJD and Race. 

Completely agree with you. Our O problems are no more complicated than this. 

I don't want to single out a player but it's simply the truth that this team will go no further than RP's play develops or until he is replaced probably by Lander.  I am truly pulling for RP but at this point I just don't see him developing into a starting BIG PG.

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Boston front office isn't going to wait forever to win.

They are going to wait a lot longer though. Wyc (the owner) and Danny are extremely patient when they believe in the person they have. It was Wyc who refused to trade Paul Pierce in the early-to-mid 2000's and it was both Wyc and Danny that 100% stood behind Doc Rivers when the entire city was screaming for him to be fired. 

Doc presided over the longest losing streak in franchise history and one of the worst seasons in franchise history and yet Wyc and Danny believed in him and stood by him. 

They love Stevens and will do the same. They understand that the roster isn't championship level right now. I don't think the Celtics have had a full roster for one game the entire season, and when they were closest to it they had the best record in the East (right before Covid ran through the team, then once everyone came back Smart and Brown got hurt).

He's been to 3 of the last 4 Eastern Conference Finals. I don't see him leaving any time soon. 

1 minute ago, FWIUFan said:

Completely agree with you. Our O problems are no more complicated than this. 

I don't want to single out a player but it's simply the truth that this team will go no further than RP's play develops or until he is replaced probably by Lander.  I am truly pulling for RP but at this point I just don't see him developing into a starting BIG PG.

Agree. It's almost impossible to win consistently at this level when your two point guards shoot a combined 33.3% from the field overall, 30.8% from the 3pt line and 68% from the free throw line, while neither one averages more than 2.6 assists per game. 

Our point guard play has been absolutely awful this season. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

That would be like firing a college coach who routinely get to the elite but not a final four.  I don't think many orginizations will fire a coach who goes deep into the playoffs routinely

College coaching and the NBA are NOTHING a like. 5 to 6 years with the same team is a life time. What did Bird say, 4 years with the same coach was enough, the message gets stale. Stevens is 5th in years with the same team. 7 or 8 years now. 2 years left on his deal. He is only making 3.6 million. All that said he isnt leaving the NBA.

Just now, Indykev said:

College coaching and the NBA are NOTHING a like. 5 to 6 years with the same team is a life time. What did Bird say, 4 years with the same coach was enough, the message gets stale. Stevens is 5th in years with the same team. 7 or 8 years now. 2 years left on his deal. He is only making 3.6 million. All that said he isnt leaving the NBA.

Bird is one of the only guys that I've really heard say that and I think it's proven to be a pretty false narrative that I'm not really sure where he developed it.

Pop has done just fine in San Antonio all of these years, Carlisle has been great in Dallas, Erick Spolstra isn't having any problems in Miami, the Warriors seems to still love Steve Kerr, the Celtics love Stevens and have been to 3 of the last 4 ECF's, etc., etc.

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Even if he leaves Boston I see him staying in the NBA with another team

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Bird is one of the only guys that I've really heard say that and I think it's proven to be a pretty false narrative that I'm not really sure where he developed it.

Pop has done just fine in San Antonio all of these years, Carlisle has been great in Dallas, Erick Spolstra isn't having any problems in Miami, the Warriors seems to still love Steve Kerr, the Celtics love Stevens and have been to 3 of the last 4 ECF's, etc., etc.

7 years is 5th out of 30 coaches. take out the top 5 or 6, what do you have.

Just now, Indykev said:

7 years is 5th out of 30 coaches. take out the top 5 or 6, what do you have.

Right, but coaches aren't fired because of Bird's false narrative about players tuning a coach out after 3 years, they're fired for not winning or something like the star player not believing in them anymore. 

There's just no basis for Bird's theory on this. 

Archived