It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was thinking about this the other day, and it really is wild to see that the stats bear it out... It is just crazy to me that Lander hasn’t hit a single layup all season (his one two-point make was a pull-up jumper IIRC).  He’s showed some nice passing and the ability to hit a three recently, but I’ve been surprised with his complete inability to get to the rim considering the scorer he was billed as.

His only made 2pt shot of the season was his first shot attempt right when he checked into his first game. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

His only made 2pt shot of the season was his first shot attempt right when he checked into his first game. 

He missed a layup in the OSU game. Nice drive to the bucket, but it just didn't fall...

I think that's the next area of development I'd like to see. Forget the 3 and create off the dribble drive...

The slow starts are directly tied to missed 2pt shots, mostly in the paint and missing free throws. Its not like we're actually playing bad, guys just aren't finishing. 

Archie's viewpoint on this isn't crazy. They're some missed easy shots from this not even being an issue. 

Watch this clip from Coach Adragna. Out of the 27 shots, they're almost all in the paint and they're almost all solid, makeable shots. 

https://twitter.com/CoachAdragna/status/1361771456061984769?s=19

Edit: If you look at the shot chart in that tweet, over this stretch of bad starts the last 5 games, IU is 3-for-20 in the paint. 

as frustrated as i am with slow starts and Rob and Al, has Lander really shown that he is playing better than they are?  Leal or Galloway?  everyone loves them because they're freshmen, but they really haven't been big factors lately.  Hunter may be a better argument because he can score, but i personally am not a fan.  

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was thinking about this the other day, and it really is wild to see that the stats bear it out... It is just crazy to me that Lander hasn’t hit a single layup all season (his one two-point make was a pull-up jumper IIRC).  He’s showed some nice passing and the ability to hit a three recently, but I’ve been surprised with his complete inability to get to the rim considering the scorer he was billed as.

I remember his very first shot in the first game he hit was a  jumper from the free throw line.  He took the ball out of bounce and came off a screen and went right up and shot it.

One game I remember TJD only touching the ball once in the first 7 minutes. Rob and Al don’t see the floor like Lander. IMO

IMO, the wrong people are taking the shots. The guard play is terrible in the beginning and improves when Lander and at least one other frosh enters. Transition offense is non existent, though the game speeds up when the frosh enter.

I say play the freshmen with Trace to start and see if that sets a good tempo.

Or, try Lander, Leal, Franklin, Race and Trace to start.

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

One game I remember TJD only touching the ball once in the first 7 minutes. Rob and Al don’t see the floor like Lander. IMO

IMO, the wrong people are taking the shots. The guard play is terrible in the beginning and improves when Lander and at least one other frosh enters. Transition offense is non existent, though the game speeds up when the frosh enter.

I think most of the slow starts are due to TJD missing a lot of layups at the basket.

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

We see it differently. I feel like we've been feeding TJD, almost force feeding him early in these games and he's just been missing. 

Watch the video in the tweet I posted, it's a lot of TJD missing shots in the paint early. He's also missed a lot of early free throws. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think most of the slow starts are due to TJD missing a lot of layups at the basket.

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We see it differently. I feel like we've been feeding TJD, almost force feeding him early in these games and he's just been missing. 

Watch the video in the tweet I posted, it's a lot of TJD missing shots in the paint early. He's also missed a lot of early free throws. 

Why is Trayce missing those?

Don Fischer asked Archie if Trayce was rushing his shot (I think he doesn't gather himself like he could, so I think rushing it is a factor) but Archie talked more about Trayce going into games feeling his way along. I can see that too. I'm not sure Trayce is the most confident player in the world, but as the game moves along, so does his confidence.

I don't know. I do know that against OSU if he'd hit the early bunnies, he'd have had 30 easy...

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Maybe we are attacking different angles of the article.

I think what your saying I can agree with completely. It’s mind boggling sometimes when Trace misses the easy ones.

I’m just not willing to accept Trace and his missed bunnies being the reason this team is where it is. The fact that the entire team struggles to manage 20 pts in a half is well beyond being pinned on one player

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why is Trayce missing those?

Don Fischer asked Archie if Trayce was rushing his shot (I think he doesn't gather himself like he could, so I think rushing it is a factor) but Archie talked more about Trayce going into games feeling his way along. I can see that too. I'm not sure Trayce is the most confident player in the world, but as the game moves along, so does his confidence.

I don't know. I do know that against OSU if he'd hit the early bunnies, he'd have had 30 easy...

To me he isn't squared up to the basket and doesn't keep his eyes on the rim.  I know DD calls it keeping your chin on the rim.  He tries a jump hook but it is more of a toss than a shot

Just now, IU Scott said:

To me he isn't squared up to the basket and doesn't keep his eyes on the rim.  I know DD calls it keeping your chin on the rim.  He tries a jump hook but it is more of a toss than a shot

He definitely doesn't have the soft touch of Garza around the rim.

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I think what your saying I can agree with completely. It’s mind boggling sometimes when Trace misses the easy ones.

I’m just not willing to accept Trace and his missed bunnies being the reason this team is where it is. The fact that the entire team struggles to manage 20 pts in a half is well beyond being pinned on one player

If he hits those shots it will give him and the team confidence.  Also if he is scoring and hitting those shots it will open up more for the other players

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If he hits those shots it will give him and the team confidence.  Also if he is scoring and hitting those shots it will open up more for the other players

But in the video mentioned, it’s not just Trace missing. It’s the entire starting 5. Al, Rob, Franklin, Race and yes Trace.

11 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I'm just talking about the poor starts, and the video in the tweet i posted. No, TJD isn't the only one missing, but he's the best player and IU is purposely feeding their best player early in the game, which makes perfect sense, and for whatever reason he's not finishing. 

As you said, he's not the only one. Its all of them, but there are a lot of paint misses from TJD in that video. 

My takeaway from the series of shots is that IU is getting good shots, they're just not finishing for whatever reason. 

I do agree with some though that maybe just a simple switch to the lineup could simply just change the pace. It does seem like the starters play at a slower pace to begin the game, so maybe getting Lander in there or having Franklin handle the ball with Hunter on the wing just changes the tempo a bit. 

I just meant Archie's viewpoint isn't crazy. If guys just finished in the paint and made free throws we're not having this conversation. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as frustrated as i am with slow starts and Rob and Al, has Lander really shown that he is playing better than they are?  Leal or Galloway?  everyone loves them because they're freshmen, but they really haven't been big factors lately.  Hunter may be a better argument because he can score, but i personally am not a fan.  

My guess is that if they were to get the same amount of minutes as Durham and RP, they would be just as, if not more productive.  Maybe, if Archie would shake things up once in a while, he would see everyone’s production rise.  As it stands, Durham and RP both know that no matter how god awful they are, they will still start and play big minutes.  Good coaches hold players accountable for poor performance, Archie, not so much...

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm just talking about the poor starts, and the video in the tweet i posted. No, TJD isn't the only one missing, but he's the best player and IU is purposely feeding their best player early in the game, which makes perfect sense, and for whatever reason he's not finishing. 

As you said, he's not the only one. Its all of them, but there are a lot of paint misses from TJD in that video. 

My takeaway from the series of shots is that IU is getting good shots, they're just not finishing for whatever reason. 

I think some of the issues are the set up.  We don't have our best passer on the court to start the game.  I would like to see the passes prior to TJD's missed shots in the video.  I would guess a lot of the shots are off a pass where TJD has to make a few dribbles to get to his spot.   I think having Lander in, could give TJD some easier looks at the basket early in the game.   Lander isn't ready for 25-30 minutes a game, but I would rather him get the same minutes, but start and see what happens.  Our defense may take a hit, but if we aren't scoring, that means we aren't able to set up our defense, so it doesn't really matter.  Galloway was finding people in the paint too before he hurt his back.  Rob and Al are just not great at getting guys in position to score.

If Archie isn't changing his starters, call a timeout early if we haven't scored in the 1st 3-4 possessions of the game and get Lander and Hunter in there or even Leal. Same to start the 2nd half.

My thoughts exactly.  Why not shake it up for a while,,,,let the young guys, who always seem to play at a faster tempo, get minutes early in the game.  I have a feeling TJD then may pick up his pace and stop overthinking.  Why does archie coach them to run those incredibly slow sets ad nauseum?  It is especially frustrating in the first ten minutes, when they are probably full of energy too.

Archived