It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 minute ago, John S said:

My thoughts exactly.  Why not shake it up for a while,,,,let the young guys, who always seem to play at a faster tempo, get minutes early in the game.  I have a feeling TJD then may pick up his pace and stop overthinking.  Why does archie coach them to run those incredibly slow sets ad nauseum?  It is especially frustrating in the first ten minutes, when they are probably full of energy too.

I think there is something to this worth trying. Really, I don’t see anything to lose at this point.

Plus, if the guards we’re able to hit on a consistent basis, that presents a whole new problem which could create better opportunities for Trace/Race in the paint rather than the defense having an intimidator badge. Lolol

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Defense is sagging off the perimeter, defense against IU will change if my shots are hit.  How many drives are 1 on 2, 1 on 3 - D taking away the drive, leaving open shots.  Now start making the shots more, or take more, maybe the inside will open up.  

Agree with that 100%...

Then the question becomes, can we hit the outside shots at a consistent 40% clip?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree with that 100%...

Then the question becomes, can we hit the outside shots at a consistent 40% clip?

I would almost get them to shoot more.  Shots will fall and with the dribble drives that end up in turnovers or going against two trees who are monstering up...i would shoot the ball.  It will eventually even out especially if it is done with confidence and part of the system. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I do agree with some though that maybe just a simple switch to the lineup could simply just change the pace. It does seem like the starters play at a slower pace to begin the game, so maybe getting Lander in there or having Franklin handle the ball with Hunter on the wing just changes the tempo a bit. 

I just meant Archie's viewpoint isn't crazy. If guys just finished in the paint and made free throws we're not having this conversation. 

It’s a little bit of both. Ya we have missed some easy shots around the rim to start games but it’s also the fact that Rob has been so awful. Put Hunter in the lineup with Franklin and Al. That gives us 3 guys that can make outside shots to help TJD have time to relax and get a feel for how they are going to play him. I don’t think benching Rob could make his confidence any worse. I don’t think it’s possible to play any worse than he has offensively. In fact having him come off the bench might help him. He might feel less pressure. 
That’s what I see from the outside looking in but I’m not at practice or around the guys everyday. 

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

I would almost get them to shoot more.  Shots will fall and with the dribble drives that end up in turnovers or going against two trees who are monstering up...i would shoot the ball.  It will eventually even out especially if it is done with confidence and part of the system. 

That’s not how shooting works?  Bad shooters don’t just get better because they shoot more. If it did Hack a Shaq wouldn’t have been a viable strategy 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s not how shooting works?  Bad shooters don’t just get better because they shoot more. If it did Hack a Shaq wouldn’t have been a viable strategy 

I don't think they are bad shooters, I really don't.  Most have decent form, I think it is the confidence to shoot.  I have never seen an Indiana team, even under the pass it three times with Knight, hesitate and look over to the bench after every missed shot.  Al, Rob, Hunter, Franklin all can shoot.  We had a kid who won games with Green and he wasn't allowed to shoot or would be pulled for a quick shot.  The kid was able rattle off threes.

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

It’s a little bit of both. Ya we have missed some easy shots around the rim to start games but it’s also the fact that Rob has been so awful. Put Hunter in the lineup with Franklin and Al. That gives us 3 guys that can make outside shots to help TJD have time to relax and get a feel for how they are going to play him. I don’t think benching Rob could make his confidence any worse. I don’t think it’s possible to play any worse than he has offensively. In fact having him come off the bench might help him. He might feel less pressure. 
That’s what I see from the outside looking in but I’m not at practice or around the guys everyday. 

Agree. Unfortunately, Phinisee has been the main issues shooting wise. Franklin, Durham, Hunter and even Leal have been solid to really good. 

We'd actually be a pretty good shooting team if our point guards weren't so bad shooting. 

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

In conference play, we're shooting 35% from three, good for fifth in the conference. We're dead last in attempts though, with just 18.7 per game.

We need to shoot more of them. 35% given the amount of late, forced threes we take is actually good. We pass up a lot of good looks from deep early in the shot clock IMO.

I actually think both the 2 and 3 point percentage would go up of we did. 

Archived