It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it is time to bring in an IU guy to see if they can change the culture. Also do it and if it doesn't work then we can put to rest that it needs to be an IU guy.

i can't get behind hiring someone who is not the best candidate, but the best IU guy.  i just want the best candidate.  i just can't see who that would be as an IU guy.    

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i can't get behind hiring someone who is not the best candidate, but the best IU guy.  i just want the best candidate.  i just can't see who that would be as an IU guy.    

The thing is realistically that when we make a change it won't be for a elite established coaches.  I would roll the dice on Keith Smart who has coached at every pro level and know what it takes to get to the next level.  Do what Howard did at UM and bring in a older established former HC to help with the college game.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

As much as I wouldn’t be happy about Alford, there’s no way he will be worse than this, so what’s the difference?  This program is completely dead in the water.  Give Alford a shot and then hire the next guy 4 or 5 years later if he doesn’t work out.

At least his team would run a better more efficient offense.  I watched them beat the top team in their conference(Boise St.) twice in two days with very good shooting offense.

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i just can't see why we'd hire a coach if we would have no interest in if they weren't IU guys.  i would think Smart and Alford would both fit that description.  if we make the wrong hire after Miller, we are in big big trouble.    

No we just continue with the status quo. 

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i just can't see why we'd hire a coach if we would have no interest in if they weren't IU guys.  i would think Smart and Alford would both fit that description.  if we make the wrong hire after Miller, we are in big big trouble.    

They couldn't be any worse than what we have right now.  Also if you think we will get a Bennett or Wright type of coaches then people will be disappointed.  You will either get a descent power 5 conference coach or an up and coming mid major coach so why would a Smart be any worse than those type of guys.

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Sometimes people are perfect fits at certain jobs.  Everyone thinks Painter is a good coach, and he is, but I think he’s in the perfect spot for him.  Thinking/Hoping Alford could bring the same to us.  Alford isn’t my first choice either but his connections to Indiana  HS coaches shouldn’t be ignored. To be honest I don’t know what the hell I want at this point other than some damn wins.

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Sometimes people are perfect fits at certain jobs.  Everyone thinks Painter is a good coach, and he is, but I think he’s in the perfect spot for him.  Thinking/Hoping Alford could bring the same to us.  Alford isn’t my first choice either but his connections to Indiana  HS coaches shouldn’t be ignored. To be honest I don’t know what the hell I want at this point other than some damn wins.

see, your last line is where i am.  clearly this is not going well.  i'm fine firing Miller, but scared to death about the new hire.  i get the point at some times people are a perfect fit for certain jobs.  could be.  i get that it's hard to imagine it being any worse at IU, so why not?  reality is that someone who has never coached college basketball (Smart) could be pretty bad.  then what?  4 more years of this or worse and we do it again?  i'm not sold on alford by any means, but could see that a little more than Smart.  i don't expect Bennett or Wright, etc., but to take a chance on another up and comer or a guy who has never been a college coach?  i don't know what i want at this point! 

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, your last line is where i am.  clearly this is not going well.  i'm fine firing Miller, but scared to death about the new hire.  i get the point at some times people are a perfect fit for certain jobs.  could be.  i get that it's hard to imagine it being any worse at IU, so why not?  reality is that someone who has never coached college basketball (Smart) could be pretty bad.  then what?  4 more years of this or worse and we do it again?  i'm not sold on alford by any means, but could see that a little more than Smart.  i don't expect Bennett or Wright, etc., but to take a chance on another up and comer or a guy who has never been a college coach?  i don't know what i want at this point! 

I guess if it was an easy fix ADs wouldn’t make so damn much money

Just now, bronkonagurski said:

Smart has always been my darkhorse pick for the IU job. I would be perfectly fine with him getting a shot at it.

honestly wanting to know why though?  strictly that he is an IU grad?  he has never coached college ball right?  i could be wrong about that.  didn't look him up.  he was an NBA coach and did awful, but had no talent to work with right?  is he even in the game right now?  his name won't carry any weight with high school players these days.  that was 34 years ago.  

33 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

As much as I wouldn’t be happy about Alford, there’s no way he will be worse than this, so what’s the difference?  This program is completely dead in the water.  Give Alford a shot and then hire the next guy 4 or 5 years later if he doesn’t work out.

One positive with Alford would be that maybe he could work with them on free throws.  So tired of seeing 1 for 2, 0 for 2, etc.  they have been better lately but there is absolutely no consistency

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

honestly wanting to know why though?  strictly that he is an IU grad?  he has never coached college ball right?  i could be wrong about that.  didn't look him up.  he was an NBA coach and did awful, but had no talent to work with right?  is he even in the game right now?  his name won't carry any weight with high school players these days.  that was 34 years ago.  

If Smart wants a college head coaching job, and we hire Alford, he should come and ask Alford for an assistant’s job.  I can’t see us hiring him cold as a head coach.  I’m not sure he’s even coaching right now.  It could be a good move for him.  

I am not rooting for an Alford hire for a variety of reasons but I suspect this might be a possibility with Dolson in the AD seat and his connections to ex players.  If it happens, we can hope that there is no more character BS and that there’s synergy between him and IU that doesn’t exist anywhere else.  But he’s never been that guy as a coach at UCLA or Iowa that could go toe to toe with top teams or coaches and do anything. 

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well people need to do more than just bitch on a message board and follow my lead and voice your displeasure to the AD or higher than that.

Oh for the love of God...

@IU Scott I normally think you have it together, but this game unraveled you...

I'd almost guarantee you that the last canned response you got, Dolson was shaking his head and laughing...you emailing him to "fire the coach" does nothing...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh for the love of God...

@IU Scott I normally think you have it together, but this game unraveled you...

I'd almost guarantee you that the last canned response you got, Dolson was shaking his head and laughing...you emailing him to "fire the coach" does nothing...

I know it doesn't make a difference but he needs to know most of the fan base has lost any confidence they have in Archie.  I am so tired of watching the same boring offense every game and milking the shot clock most of the time.  Let the players play with a flow and if they play freely they will be more comfortable.  You brought up the 81 team in the other thread and you remember what happened that turned that season around.  it was when RMK finally realized that letting this team run and let IT run the team but Archie will never give up any control.

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think Smart can coach. His formative years in coaching was here in Fort Wayne in the CBA and he did great job which translated into many years in the NBA as mainly an assistant coach. I realize his brief NBA head coaching stints did not produce good results but he had nothing to work with. 

It is a gut feeling I've had for roughly 20 years now, I posted about it on the old Star News board. I don't particularly feel the need to convince anyone else to agree with my gut feeling. I doubt it ever happens so I guess you can rest easy? 🤪

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it doesn't make a difference but he needs to know most of the fan base has lost any confidence they have in Archie.

You take a poll or something?

You have no way of knowing that...and you certainly don't speak for me (and I'd wager a few more on this board).

Very presumptuous of you to even say that.

Archived