It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

33 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

If we miss the tourney this year, he has to go, right? That's 0 for four in his tenure here. That's what any power 5 school who had any expectations would do. 

This is Indiana though. They are timid and conservative. They never make bold moves. They never go out and refuse to take no for an answer. They are also cheap. And they are way to concerned with optics  So CAM is probably back next year regardless 

I find it fascinating that Ohio State, a traditional football power, was more determined to get the basketball  coach they wanted than Indiana has ever been in getting theirs. I find it fascinating that Michigan had a successful coach leave them at a very bad time and they pull Juwan Howard out of their ass and he has them as a number 1 seed while Indiana continues to flounder. 

Kentucky makes one bad hire and then immediately rectifies it by hiring another home run. Kansas loses Roy Williams and then rips Self away from Illinois. Don't tell there is no one out there. Don't tell me it can't be done unless you mean by Indiana. Because other schools who care enough about winning get it done.. 

Indiana, as a university, needs to get serious or STFU about college basketball because nobody takes them seriously in any capacity.

Archie was a top 10 paid coach when hired. We were serious just not competent. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This year isn't finished, so you're down to 2.

His first year, I'll give you, but it was his first year.

Second year, as I remember, we basically had a play in game with Ohio State in the BTT. We lost, and went to the NIT.

As for last year, you just tried to BS everybody who doesn't know any better...agreed?

With the talent on the second team in Romeo and Morgan that team shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was in school with him and met him once through a mutual friend. He was a nice guy.  Not cocky for being on the team or anything.  I was shocked when he was arrested.  I was definitely disappointed and definitely did not expect that.  He did his time and I hope he does well going forward.  As a player, he got hot in the Duke game but overall he had pretty marginal ability for the B1G. Sometimes the ex players lose self awareness of their own statures as players.  Glory Days. 

Wasn't Leary mostly recruited to IU in attempt to lure Eric Montross?

Why is everyone hung up on making the tournament?  So what if we do?  Is that the official sign that we have made progress, that we are headed in the right direction?  Big whoop if we make the tournament and likely go 0-1.   We should be much further along than this in year four. What we have seen so far is not the right fit and we are headed for chronic mediocracy. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not talking in one year but every time there was a change at UNC they tried Williams but he turned them down.  The only reason he left was that Dean finally asked him to.  Also if Williams was not an Alumni and former assistant coach he would still be at UNC. 

Uh, Williams IS still at UNC.

And he didn't get offered the job after Smith retired. He's said many times if Gutheridge hadn't been offered the job he wasn't going to take it.

Just now, Maud'Dib said:

Why is everyone hung up on making the tournament?  So what if we do?  Is that the official sign that we have made progress, that we are headed in the right direction?  Big whoop if we make the tournament and likely go 0-1.   We should be much further along than this in year four. What we have seen so far is not the right fit and we are headed for chronic mediocracy. 

Making the tournament for iu should be a given. The fact we are wishing to make it or miss out for 5 years is insane.  We need to be better than this. It's very frustrating.  

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This year isn't finished, so you're down to 2.

His first year, I'll give you, but it was his first year.

Second year, as I remember, we basically had a play in game with Ohio State in the BTT. We lost, and went to the NIT.

As for last year, you just tried to BS everybody who doesn't know any better...agreed?

I'm not down to anything because I stated a hypothetical. IF he misses the tourney it would be 0-4. Maybe we make it last year but it wasn't a guarantee. You are bullish on it and that's fine. When kids are being told this I'll bet the kids aren't saying 'yeah but that one year was covid'

Perception is reality. It would be no tourney appearances in 4 years. 

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know he turned them down twice or what people say on TV is wrong

He was never offered the job when Smith retired. Gutheridge was named coach almost immediately.

As I said, Roy said many times he wouldn't have taken it, even if offered because Gutheridge deserved it.

He DID turn them down when Doherty was hired...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What percentage of IU fans do you think even post on message boards or social media? If it was 25% I'd be surprised...

Dakich even said today our offense was getting the looks, but our players couldn't make the shots. Pretty apparent from where I sat today... Al and Rob were 0-10 from the floor and 0-6 from 3. 

Archie can do a lot of things as a coach, but he can't shoot it for them...

I’d say more like far less than 1%. I have a group of friends who love ball.  They watch the games, go to the occasional game etc.  But they don’t follow recruiting beyond maybe a Romeo sighting from Twitter where the masses see everything.  They’ve heard so many times so and so is a stud coming in and then it turns out somebody isn’t as good as hyped. So they reserve judgment on recruits and really only care about the team as it is constituted when they play games.  Bottom line, they won’t go to a message board and they see that as not the best use of their time.  

But to be clear, they will still watch the games and do care.  Anecdotally, my crew has been completely out on Archie and has been since about year two.  “He doesn’t have it.”  Verbatim. 

These guys don’t over complicate the analysis.  They see the final product and they know what they see and it’s not good enough.  They understand the game.  I argued that they were way too premature.  

But the funny thing is that the more straightforward fan like that might see the truth faster.  Because they don’t pay attention to how the sausage is made.  They don’t know anything about summer workouts, gold shirts in practice etc.  They don’t have any idea who Cliff Marshall is and they don’t care.  They are living their lives.  It’s anecdotal but my cohort has long been out on Archie.  

So far Miller is only 0 for 2 on making the NCAAT. This year isn't finished yet but we'll know soon enough either way whether he will be 0 or 1 for 3.

That said this year didn't really seem to be going well which hurts the incremental improvement story.

Year 1: no postseason

Year 2: NIT

Year 3: bubble team that likely would've squeaked in if the NCAAT wasn't cancelled

Year 4:  For the improvement argument to hold up they should be comfortably in the tournament at this point but instead we're looking at a bubble team again with 4 difficult games coming up. Missing the tournament is a very real possibility. 

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

So far Miller is only 0 for 2 on making the NCAAT. This year isn't finished yet but we'll know soon enough either way whether he will be 0 or 1 for 3.

That said this year didn't really seem to be going well which hurts the incremental improvement story.

Year 1: no postseason

Year 2: NIT

Year 3: bubble team that likely would've squeaked in if the NCAAT wasn't cancelled

Year 4:  For the improvement argument to hold up they should be comfortably in the tournament at this point but instead we're looking at a bubble team again with 4 difficult games coming up. Missing the tournament is a very real possibility. 

Regardless of NCAA tourney. He’s never finished above .500 in conference and never been top 5 in conference. And is losing his best player.  And who knows maybe we lose Race to transfer.  Guys gotta have his degree after this year 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This year is as bad if not worse than Creans last from a media perspective.  If the donors are willing to pay, Archie is gone.  

Disagree.  Archie isn’t facing the wrath of an angry/apathetic Assembly Hall, and the expectations for him are way, way, way lower than they were for Crean.  He’s getting next season to potentially save his job for another year or two or flame out.  But we’re just playing out the string at this point.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His offense is not real impressive either

I can understand being upset with Archie’s offense.  I don’t think it’s scheme for the most part.  He just has lackluster guards other than Franklin.  We can move the ball and get shots.  

I haven’t been happy with a couple things.  Sometimes they get way too far into the shot clock.  I’d like to see more picks.  The free throw shooting is totally a joke and unacceptable.  FREE being the key word.

But I wouldn’t say it’s the philosophy.  We value the ball. The biggest problem is we don’t have shot makers.  It’s a recruiting issue not the scheme.  

Archived