It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think Archie should and will get year 5. If it’s anything less than a season where IU is in the big ten title conversation and safely in the tournament then the administration can move on. But I still think moving on after this year is a mistake. The potential names thrown around have been either unrealistic or uninspiring, and I would rather be 100% confident that moving on is the right move instead of potentially pulling the plug a little too early.

Unrealistic because we are talking about Indiana. Kentucky would get it done.

I read the article in the last page and I get this sinking feeling he’s going nowhere this off season. And we will end up putting this team back in a huge hole to dig out of AGAIN.

The right hire doesn’t need four years to generate excitement in the base. But if we let this go rock bottom AGAIN it will be. 

such a horribly run program from the top down. And I mean higher than the head coach.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I read the article in the last page and I get this sinking feeling he’s going nowhere this off season. And we will end up putting this team back in a huge hole to dig out of AGAIN.

The right hire doesn’t need four years to generate excitement in the base. But if we let this go rock bottom AGAIN it will be. 

such a horribly run program from the top down. And I mean higher than the head coach.

If he fails again next season then we will be seeing a coaching change.

Guys.  There is no reason to think Archie will change anything.   I’m watching Mich OSU and it is a pleasure to watch.  They certainly have more talent, but I think the offensive play is so much better.  Strong and quick 2 handed passes, 2-4 touches and shoot off the pass.  Very little flat footed standing around on offense.   No criticism of our team, which plays hard.   But Archie’s offense is so deliberate and our players get bored, possibly.   

50 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I don’t think it matters where his players are from....his system simply isn’t working.  Guys that come in as shooters can no longer shoot...guys that are lazy on defense and careless with the ball on offense play the bulk of the minutes....he runs an offense that emphasizes getting to the line but his teams have been at or near the bottom of the league in FT%....he refuses to adjust the starters at the beginning of the game or at the half and never uses the bench as motivation....he had 9 whole months to re-work the offense and in the end, it is still the same broken mess that it always has been.  This is all on Archie and no matter who the players are, it isn’t going to change.

Absolutely agree.  

30 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Absolutely terrible from the top down. It's how ND football was run post Holtz until Jack Swarbrick and Brian Kelly were brought in. 

You look at where Indiana and Kentucky were in 1992 compared to the disparity now and it's just disgusting.

The basketball program is just a train wreck. An absolute train wreck.

56 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Someone compared it with ownership in the pros.  That was an excellent point.   I’d cite to the poster but I don’t recall who it was.  

39 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Man I really don't want to go thru another season like this again.

Read that article and the writer nailed it on all the aspects of what is wrong with the program. It's up to the AD to see if he steps up.

The article sums it up perfectly.

Just embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Man I really don't want to go thru another season like this again.

Read that article and the writer nailed it on all the aspects of what is wrong with the program. It's up to the AD to see if he steps up.

I have to agree. I hate it, but I do have to agree. I really, really like Archie Miller and was hoping he'd be IU's Izzo-type (minus the gross stuff) and be here 30 years. 

But it just doesn't seem to be working. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have to agree. I hate it, but I do have to agree. I really, really like Archie Miller and was hoping he'd be IU's Izzo-type (minus the gross stuff) and be here 30 years. 

But it just doesn't seem to be working. 

I was and I am in the same boat. I couldn’t stand Crean personally. Made my skin crawl. But I LIKE Archie. But dang it, it is NOT working. And there is basically ZERO reason to believe it’s going to change without Olympic Gold Medal Level mental gymnastics to make arguments it will.

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

I didn’t realize IU is dead last in recruiting🤢. How is that possible?

Nothing in the last 4 years Archie tells me he will change staff or scheme to win. Maybe that’s what makes me love CTA. He’s made changes in staff and scheme and has us as a top 10 team next year and our recruiting is trending up. 

Only one member of his original staff is still on the coaching staff. He fired Schilling. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep clearly the staff isn’t the problem. Although I’m curious if one of his assistants at Dayton was responsible for his success there 

I doubt it. Archie is a good coach. He comes highly thought of by almost the entire coaching industry and the college basketball media. He does a lot of really good things X's and O's wise. It's not working out at IU, that's a fact and I'm not going to dispute it, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.

Sometimes things don't work out, some times the fit just doesn't work for whatever reason. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I doubt it. Archie is a good coach. He comes highly thought of by almost the entire coaching industry and the college basketball media. He does a lot of really good things X's and O's wise. It's not working out at IU, that's a fact and I'm not going to dispute it, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.

Sometimes things don't work out, some times the fit just doesn't work for whatever reason. 

I won’t argue his knowledge of the game. But there’s more to coaching than that. Part of leadership is holding people accountable and I just don’t see that on the court.  And that’s different than chewing them out on the sideline. It’s having the Frank conversation after the game that an upper classmen is being benched because he’s playing terrible. 

6 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Good point. He has but other than Schilling haven’t they moved on for other positions?

He's only been here 3 full seasons. How many coaches is he supposed to fire in that timespan? No matter the reason, 2/3 of his original staff isn't here anymore. People were criticizing him when he fired Schilling.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I won’t argue his knowledge of the game. But there’s more to coaching than that. Part of leadership is holding people accountable and I just don’t see that on the court.  And that’s different than chewing them out on the sideline. It’s having the Frank conversation after the game that an upper classmen is being benched because he’s playing terrible. 

We have absolutely zero idea what his private conversations are with players and staff. He did bench Phinisee earlier in the season. Unfortunately, and this is his fault, he doesn't really have anywhere to go at the point guard spot, so his best bet is to keep working with Phinisee to get it to click.  

By all accounts he held players highly accountable at Dayton, even kicking his only inside players off the team one year and then still guiding that team to a tournament appearance with nobody taller than 6'6".

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's only been here 3 full seasons. How many coaches is he supposed to fire in that timespan? No matter the reason, 2/3 of his original staff isn't here anymore. People were criticizing him when he fired Schilling.

Probably whatever number is enough to keep his job lol. I know you were asking a rhetorical question but I was genuinely asking a question not trying to criticize.

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was at my in laws today for my mother-in-laws birthday. My in laws are all LSU folks.  He asked me how IU couldn’t have gotten someone better. Since he is an LSU guy I used a football analogy. I said Archie was like a 5* QB who seemed can’t miss until he got to college and the linebackers were a lot faster now and the windows to make throws were tighter. It seemed great at the time, but it’s not panning out. Do you keep starting the guy because of his ranking, or acknowledge it’s a bad fit or whatever and move on?

He watches a lot of our games since he lives here now, but as an outsider not a passionate fan like us.  Every time I see him he asks me to explain our offense to him because he says he can’t figure out what we are trying to do.  

He then said you all hired Archie at the same time we hired Will Wade. He asked if we even considered him. He said we’d be winning conference championships by now if we had. I said Wade had some help with that. He said if you’re squeaky clean you’ll never win because no one else is. Mercifully I got called away at that point. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We have absolutely zero idea what his private conversations are with players and staff. He did bench Phinisee earlier in the season. Unfortunately, and this is his fault, he doesn't really have anywhere to go at the point guard spot, so his best bet is to keep working with Phinisee to get it to click.  

By all accounts he held players highly accountable at Dayton, even kicking his only inside players off the team one year and then still guiding that team to a tournament appearance with nobody taller than 6'6".

Not benching under performers or troublemakers has been a constant under his time at IU. I don’t care about Dayton. Here he has shown little to no holding people accountable. Yes he benched Phinisee but look how that’s working out. Maybe he should do it again. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not benching under performers or troublemakers has been a constant under his time at IU. I don’t care about Dayton. Here he has shown little to no holding people accountable. Yes he benched Phinisee but look how that’s working out. Maybe he should do it again. 

This is the biggest issue IMO....he has not held (certain) players accountable for poor or lackadaisical play...in fact, he has rewarded it.  The guys that play the bulk of the minutes know for certain, that no matter how bad they play, Archie won’t do anything.  On the flip side, the young guys are scared to death to make a mistake and it shows....case in point is Galloway.  He is a shell of his early season self.  

Archived