It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

It has been very hard to be an IU. Fan the last 6 or 7 years! Very mediocre Crean an now Archie keep telling us how we are improving! I don’t see it at least not something we can point at from game to game! 
I don’t believe we will be better next year because I don’t believe Archie!  I think we will be the same inconsistent team again next year with no one to take control. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s easy to hold somebody accountable for failed drug tests. Cut and dry.  

Lot harder to hold somebody accountable for performance. 

You don't know what the suspensions were over...

And I think even posting "failed drug test" is irresponsible on your part...

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I was at my in laws today for my mother-in-laws birthday. My in laws are all LSU folks.  He asked me how IU couldn’t have gotten someone better. Since he is an LSU guy I used a football analogy. I said Archie was like a 5* QB who seemed can’t miss until he got to college and the linebackers were a lot faster now and the windows to make throws were tighter. It seemed great at the time, but it’s not panning out. Do you keep starting the guy because of his ranking, or acknowledge it’s a bad fit or whatever and move on?

He watches a lot of our games since he lives here now, but as an outsider not a passionate fan like us.  Every time I see him he asks me to explain our offense to him because he says he can’t figure out what we are trying to do.  

He then said you all hired Archie at the same time we hired Will Wade. He asked if we even considered him. He said we’d be winning conference championships by now if we had. I said Wade had some help with that. He said if you’re squeaky clean you’ll never win because no one else is. Mercifully I got called away at that point. 

He is spot on. nobody is. Look at both O ST and M the transfer portal was really good to them. You think those guys go there to play because of the nice weather or they love the coach. the problem is some programs are held to a different set of standard. standards that are enforced to make people think that college athletics are held to the highest standards. We all know they are not. 

37 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I was at my in laws today for my mother-in-laws birthday. My in laws are all LSU folks.  He asked me how IU couldn’t have gotten someone better. Since he is an LSU guy I used a football analogy. I said Archie was like a 5* QB who seemed can’t miss until he got to college and the linebackers were a lot faster now and the windows to make throws were tighter. It seemed great at the time, but it’s not panning out. Do you keep starting the guy because of his ranking, or acknowledge it’s a bad fit or whatever and move on?

He watches a lot of our games since he lives here now, but as an outsider not a passionate fan like us.  Every time I see him he asks me to explain our offense to him because he says he can’t figure out what we are trying to do.  

He then said you all hired Archie at the same time we hired Will Wade. He asked if we even considered him. He said we’d be winning conference championships by now if we had. I said Wade had some help with that. He said if you’re squeaky clean you’ll never win because no one else is. Mercifully I got called away at that point. 

I'm not advocating for keeping Miller. But, I think it's pretty easy to see what we do on offense. We predominately run a dribble hand-off, ball-screen offense, that also includes post actions to get the ball to our strength which is the post, and getting our wings to the rim. We also often run a flex out of BLOB's. 

We get a ton of open shots but lack the shooters to consistently knock them down. We also lack playing with tempo and pace. Our offense produces a lot of good shots, but we also lack strong guard play in general, as well as lacking a good point guard, so we often experience breakdowns. 

Archie is the recruiter it's on him, but if you put a good point guard and some shooters out there the offense looks a lot better. But again, that's on Archie for not recruiting a better point guard and not recruiting over Durham in 4 years. 

On Will Wade, he's not just a 'gray area' guy, he's a flat-out cheater. It says more about LSU that he's still their coach than anything else. I'm all for getting a coach that can successfully operate in some gray area, but Wade is a flat-out cheater. 

Most of the basketball powerhouses/dynasties during my lifetime have been due to a single coach. CBK was IU, Tark was UNLV, Carnasecca was St John’s, Wooden was UCLA, Thompson was Georgetown, Meyer was DePaul, Calhoun was UConn, Smith was UNC, Coach K is Duke. 

UNC is the only one who successfully replaced a larger than life legend. The rest have chased ghosts for years. Duke is up next. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s easy to hold somebody accountable for failed drug tests. Cut and dry.  

Lot harder to hold somebody accountable for performance. 

I think it has to do with there is nowhere for him to go.  The freshman aren't ready to play major minutes.  Sure he could pull the upperclassmen every time they made a mistake, but it would compound the problem and may put the game out of reach.  The problem is he hasn't been able to build a deep enough bench that can compete in the Big 10, despite injuries to rotation players or performance issues with rotation players.  Him not not using all of his scholarships, failing to land multiple top 50 recruits or finding graduate transfers or even traditional transfers has hurt this team. He has struck out in recruiting guys whether it be freshmen that are ready to play now outside of Romeo and TJD or finding a guy in the transfer market outside of Brunk and Stewart.  I think some of his philosophies have come back to bit him in the rear.  I think he is a good coach, X's and O's-wise, but I think his lack of talent evaluation has really impacted his ability to put everything together and be successful in this league.

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Most of the basketball powerhouses/dynasties during my lifetime have been due to a single coach. CBK was IU, Tark was UNLV, Carnasecca was St John’s, Wooden was UCLA, Thompson was Georgetown, Meyer was DePaul, Calhoun was UConn, Smith was UNC, Coach K is Duke. 

UNC is the only one who successfully replaced a larger than life legend. The rest have chased ghosts for years. Duke is up next. 

2 of our 5 Titles were McCraken. So we’re a crap ton of wins.

Archie is a good X & O coach?  Anyone watch our offense??? He was great on baseline out of bounds plays until he started just throwing the over the top pass that most teams do.  I’m not sure how someone can watch our games and say he’s a good X & O coach, really don’t see it.  He might be, might, be better than Crean

I think it’s jimmy and joes not Archies X’s and O’s. We have one of the worst backcourts in the B1G. To me it’s that simple. We don’t have a leader on the court. Our PG only shows up 1 in 4 games and our SG 1 in 3. Now can Archie get the right kids in the program...the difference makers that want to play in his system?? That is the question and if not that will be his downfall.

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Archie is a good X & O coach?  Anyone watch our offense??? He was great on baseline out of bounds plays until he started just throwing the over the top pass that most teams do.  I’m not sure how someone can watch our games and say he’s a good X & O coach, really don’t see it.  He might be, might, be better than Crean

He's been phenomenal out of timeouts, he does well with BLOB's like you said. Our offense consistently produces good shots, you'll probably disagree, but it does. Until recently we had one of the top 20 or so defenses in the country and we had been reducing turnovers a great deal. It's not like we're getting out-schemed in these games. 

His issues have been offensive pace and tempo, instilling a culture and identity, and recruiting both in terms of not recruiting enough talent, and then also in his recruiting philosophy in terms of not prioritizing certain skill sets (shooting) and positions (point guard and wing). 

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not advocating for keeping Miller. But, I think it's pretty easy to see what we do on offense. We predominately run a dribble hand-off, ball-screen offense, that also includes post actions to get the ball to our strength which is the post, and getting our wings to the rim. We also often run a flex out of BLOB's. 

We get a ton of open shots but lack the shooters to consistently knock them down. We also lack playing with tempo and pace. Our offense produces a lot of good shots, but we also lack strong guard play in general, as well as lacking a good point guard, so we often experience breakdowns. 

Archie is the recruiter it's on him, but if you put a good point guard and some shooters out there the offense looks a lot better. But again, that's on Archie for not recruiting a better point guard and not recruiting over Durham in 4 years. 

On Will Wade, he's not just a 'gray area' guy, he's a flat-out cheater. It says more about LSU that he's still their coach than anything else. I'm all for getting a coach that can successfully operate in some gray area, but Wade is a flat-out cheater. 

Nailed it as usual. Lander may be that point guard...Stewart may be that sg....I willing to find out next year. But something also has to change on the recruiting trail. We got to find a couple big time studs...we missed Mohammad we need that next big time player.

Just now, dgambill said:

Nailed it as usual. Lander may be that point guard...Stewart may be that sg....I willing to find out next year. But something also has to change on the recruiting trail. We got to find a couple big time studs...we missed Mohammad we need that next big time player.

I'd say both Mohammad and Kauffman. That's where Archie has failed. He hasn't stacked impactful talent. He's done well stacking good role players, but he hasn't stacked impact players.

We are where we are because he missed on Garcia, Mohammad, Kauffman, etc. There are others, specifically some guards/wings. At this level you don't have to recruit like Duke or UK, but you have to stack top 100 kids and Archie has been stacking 120-150+ kids. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's been phenomenal out of timeouts, he does well with BLOB's like you said. Our offense consistently produces good shots, you'll probably disagree, but it does. Until recently we had one of the top 20 or so defenses in the country and we had been reducing turnovers a great deal. It's not like we're getting out-schemed in these games. 

His issues have been offensive pace and tempo, instilling a culture and identity, and recruiting both in terms of not recruiting enough talent, and then also in his recruiting philosophy in terms of not prioritizing certain skill sets (shooting) and positions (point guard and wing). 

I don’t know any coaches at any level that would agree on his offense.  His defense is okay. But it’s okay to disagree, still respect you a ton as a poster.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t know any coaches at any level that would agree on his offense.  His defense is okay. But it’s okay to disagree, still respect you a ton as a poster.

Not problem with disagreeing. We run the same offense sets as almost every team. We consistently get open looks and literally airmail them. Our efficiency out of timeouts is amazing. 

Where I agree is the offensive philosophy in terms of what Archie emphasizes in terms of recruiting, pace and tempo, and the control he utilizes (in terms of not letting the guys play free). Those are all more philosophical than X's and O's though. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not problem with disagreeing. We run the same offense sets as almost every team. We consistently get open looks and literally airmail them. Our efficiency out of timeouts is amazing. 

Where I agree is the offensive philosophy in terms of what Archie emphasizes in terms of recruiting, pace and tempo, and the control he utilizes (in terms of not letting the guys play free). Those are all more philosophical than X's and O's though. 

Absolutely hate his tempo!! Especially after he said we were going to speed it up this year.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Absolutely hate his tempo!! Especially after he said we were going to speed it up this year.

Agree completely, and tempo/pace are critical in basketball. I'm constantly screaming at the TV for Phinisee to quit walking it up the court. I do sometimes see Archie doing the same thing, but I agree he's talked about pushing the pace but for whatever reason, whether not instilling it or players not executing it, it hasn't happened. 

That's sort of where I separate X's and O's from philosophy. Probably semantics, but I view them differently. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree completely, and tempo/pace are critical in basketball. I'm constantly screaming at the TV for Phinisee to quit walking it up the court. I do sometimes see Archie doing the same thing, but I agree he's talked about pushing the pace but for whatever reason, whether not instilling it or players not executing it, it hasn't happened. 

That's sort of where I separate X's and O's from philosophy. Probably semantics, but I view them differently. 

Somewhere between Creans your hair is on fire offense and Archies 90 year old man in a rocking chair offense 

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Some of his ability with X's and O's is obscured by very poor execution. As an example, during the second half of the MSU game we ran a baseline out of bounds play with a wrinkle I haven't seen us use before. It was the play we run in order to produce a lob (we only use every three or four games), but this time it included a different wrinkle to free up TJD going to the rim. He was WIDE open, I mean so unbelievably open, and then Phinisee threw it way to low and the pass was deflected out of bounds. It should have been an easy two points. 

Against MSU we should have won the game in the first half. We were up thirteen and not actually playing well. We could easily have been up 25 at that point, but missing wide open opportunities at the rim and in transition gave MSU life they hadn't earned.

Some of the wrong guys took the wrong kind of shots, and some of the role players simply didn't play as well as they have been...

I don't think CAM will last past next year at IU, but I think the next place he lands he will win big...It is not just the coach that is the problem at IU...

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The tempo is not great, but I think that it all comes down to PG play...Phinisee is better than he has played. He is able to play the position well, but he is very gun shy, he will not push the pace off an opponents make...

I think that if I were to sum it up, our team plays so afraid of making mistakes that we end up making mistakes....I think that  this is most likely coming from having been burned so badly over the last three years...we have had very little momentum and confidence building...I think the second part is that Archie just doesn't trust them to make good decisions....whether that is his personality as a coach, or just this personnel I don't know...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You don't know what the suspensions were over...

And I think even posting "failed drug test" is irresponsible on your part...

Lol

It walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck 

So leave it to an Archie supporters to say it’s Phoenix waiting to rise. 

Archie supporters are seriously trying to claim guys are benched for poor performance this is sad it’s so desperate 

7 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I don't think CAM will last past next year at IU, but I think the next place he lands he will win big...It is not just the coach that is the problem at IU...

This is something I’ve thought a bit about in terms of moving on from Archie... I really don’t see him having any success at his next stop unless he goes back to a mid-major like John Groce or goes to a Power 5 school that allows him to cheat like his brother.  I just don’t see how his philosophy can lead to winning big in a major conference if he continues to recruit mostly fringe top-100 kids like he has at IU.

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd say both Mohammad and Kauffman. That's where Archie has failed. He hasn't stacked impactful talent. He's done well stacking good role players, but he hasn't stacked impact players.

We are where we are because he missed on Garcia, Mohammad, Kauffman, etc. There are others, specifically some guards/wings. At this level you don't have to recruit like Duke or UK, but you have to stack top 100 kids and Archie has been stacking 120-150+ kids. 

Yep..like Brooks...and remember the this kid

Avg 20 a game. Guys like these we just need more of.

Archived