It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

47 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Next season is supposed to be the first season in which players can earn money from NIL. It's important to get off to a strong start on that as it could help recruiting in the future. An apathetic fanbase could hurt the money players are able to make off of that. That could hurt recruiting just as much as much as poor play. Another reason to bring in a new coach after this season. I don't think Miller will be fired after this season, though.

If this is even a consideration, and it may be, this may be my last year following P5 CBB

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If this is even a consideration, and it may be, this may be my last year following P5 CBB

It was supposed to been voted on earlier but they postponed the vote.  it looks like they will be able to make money off of their likeness because it will be passed sometime this summer.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was supposed to been voted on earlier but they postponed the vote.  it looks like they will be able to make money off of their likeness because it will be passed sometime this summer.

I just don't want something like this to even be a consideration as to who should be IU's basketball coach

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I just don't want something like this to even be a consideration as to who should be IU's basketball coach

Supposedly it will allow kids to do advertising or make money on their autographs.  It probably also allow them to get paid from video games but not sure what else.  DD was talking today about how it is a myth that college athletes don't get paid cash right now.  He said most college athletes make like $1500 a month right now which is what I have said all the time.  I know it wasn't a athletic scholarship but my daughter was on a full ride along with FASFA.  Especially when she moved out of the dorm all the money that went to paying for the dorm and for food went directly to her.  I would think if your on an athletic scholarship it would be the same thing.  Her last 3 years by daughter at the start of each semester got a check around $11,000.  I would think athletes get enough money each month to live comfortably so I don't see a need for them to get any extra.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Supposedly it will allow kids to do advertising or make money on their autographs.  It probably also allow them to get paid from video games but not sure what else.  DD was talking today about how it is a myth that college athletes don't get paid cash right now.  He said most college athletes make like $1500 a month right now which is what I have said all the time.  I know it wasn't a athletic scholarship but my daughter was on a full ride along with FASFA.  Especially when she moved out of the dorm all the money that went to paying for the dorm and for food went directly to her.  I would think if your on an athletic scholarship it would be the same thing.  Her last 3 years by daughter at the start of each semester got a check around $11,000.  I would think athletes get enough money each month to live comfortably so I don't see a need for them to get any extra.

Bingo!! 

IU already is fully ready for the NIL.  They have partnered with a company to help with social media posts and other offerings where the IU player literally just press a button and their Twitter or Instagram will push out a post about a product.  They will actually get rates based off followers on their account along with star power on the team.  The player will see the rate for each post on each service and choose to posts make money.  So the operational parts for this and other things are in place.

But what was said above to me is huge around IU value demising player returns.  I think that’s a huge part of future recruiting. IU needs to position itself they are setup to maximize a star player’s potential.  Are they setup that way now?  NIL is definitely going to be a big part of getting top level in state and out of state recruits very soon.

The point is that we have an opportunity to take advantage of what the rules are to maximize opportunity for our players.  When it comes to basketball, it’s a religion in Indiana.  Our fan base for basketball is enormous.  We can use it to competitive advantage.   And the best part is that it’s within the rules.  

How many fans will follow an IU player versus a Baylor or Gonzaga or LSU kid?  We should obliterate them in monetizing value for our basketball players.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The point is that we have an opportunity to take advantage of what the rules are to maximize opportunity for our players.  When it comes to basketball, it’s a religion in Indiana.  Our fan base for basketball is enormous.  We can use it to competitive advantage.   And the best part is that it’s within the rules.  

How many fans will follow an IU player versus a Baylor or Gonzaga or LSU kid?  We should obliterate them in monetizing value for our basketball players.  

Bingo. This is a huge win for big fan bases like IUBB. You can argue it’s bad for the sport, and I would probably even agree with that point, but it’s unquestionably good for IU IMO. 

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Are you honestly expecting the Indiana Administration to embrace this opportunity?

37 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Are you honestly expecting the Indiana Administration to embrace this opportunity?

There are many reasons to criticize the administration but I don't think this is one of them. Glass already got the ball rolling on a few things in respect to this. IU has been one of the leaders in setting up support and education for the athletes about this. They also signed a contract with a company to help them. So they look like they'll be supportive of this but none of that matters if they fanbase is apathetic and tunes out. 

47 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It does seem like they’re actually on the forefront of this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/indiana/.amp/basketball/opendorse-and-indiana-athletics-ready-to-lead-name-image-and-likeness-solutions-for-athletes

Helps that it’s viewed as a progressive cause, which is really the only thing the administration cares about.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It does seem like they’re actually on the forefront of this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/indiana/.amp/basketball/opendorse-and-indiana-athletics-ready-to-lead-name-image-and-likeness-solutions-for-athletes

Helps that it’s viewed as a progressive cause, which is really the only thing the administration cares about.

Hope so but you always hear people talking about the administration intentionally handicapping the recruiting. 

I've held off on throwing in my two cents on firing Archie. Didn't want to overreact after watching a pitiful performance. Funny how fast things can change. Nice win over Minnesota and things seemed to be looking up, followed by a complete disaster against MSU and here we are.

With four games left against some tough competition it really comes down to one thing - Making the NCAA tournament. If they do enough to make the tournament you give Archie another season. Miss the tournament and it's time to move on. 

Having waited 30+ years since the last National title I'm no longer willing to sit back and wait. I like Archie. I'm pulling for him to get this done. But I'm not willing to watch another season of struggling to reach mediocrity, getting pushed around in conference, and missing the tournament. Even if they would have made it last season it wouldn't be enough to erase this season being back on the bubble. But what does firing Archie do to the program?

Firing Archie likely means setting the program back another 2 - 4 seasons. Most on here seem to agree they will be hard pressed to bring on a top tier coach. Whether it's money or decades of mediocrity, the odds are low they get a big fish to come in and instantly turn it around. It's going to take building it back... again. With that in mind I'd give Archie another season if they make the tournament this season. If not, might as well start sooner rather than later.

Yesterday I was speaking to a good friend of mine, who I've attended many IU games with.  He's become the definition of a casual fan - doesn't watch games unless he's channel surfing a briefly lands on one.

Our conversations seldom ever include basketball, and yesterday was no exception until he said "I keep seeing articles about Archie Miller's buyout".  What I took from that is (obviously) there's blood in the water and seat is hot.  I have to wonder if CAM has reached the point of no return?

15 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't understand this perspective. Money is and always has been the main consideration when hiring/firing a coach - why is it so terrible that this time it's partially the money of those that do most to earn it?

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why is that the amount they should get? They generate far more revenue than that, why should we cap it around 11k? Do you have an artificial cap on how much money you make that has no relation to the economic value you create?

49 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yesterday I was speaking to a good friend of mine, who I've attended many IU games with.  He's become the definition of a casual fan - doesn't watch games unless he's channel surfing a briefly lands on one.

Our conversations seldom ever include basketball, and yesterday was no exception until he said "I keep seeing articles about Archie Miller's buyout".  What I took from that is (obviously) there's blood in the water and seat is hot.  I have to wonder if CAM has reached the point of no return?

As I said in a thread elsewhere, IMO, once articles from papers of repute start quoting "sources close to IU" on anything we'll know the end is near.  

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I always find the "IU administration holding us back!!" as a convenient and lazy excuse for the deeper, very complex reasons for IU not succeeding as much as we want in CBB.

So, in other words, the exact type of commentary you'd expect to see on a message board.  Carry on, my wayward sons.

That’s not fair.  Rabjohns isn’t a message board guy and he’s outlined this in great detail.  This isn’t a wild conspiracy theory.  Really good posters on here, including BGleas, have done a great job providing concrete examples.

35 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Why is that the amount they should get? They generate far more revenue than that, why should we cap it around 11k? Do you have an artificial cap on how much money you make that has no relation to the economic value you create?

With the scholarship and everything that goes with it probably comes to another $40,000.  We as fans only think of the major sports but the money that comes into the NCAA goes to support every sport so the theory that they have all of this money is not true.

35 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

It's a very communist way of thinking isn't it? All under the guise of amateurism, while the institutions and governing bodies reap the rewards.

As long as the schools aren't paying for them, let the kids make money on themselves.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Posted this in Big Ten thread but figured it fits here also.

Just heard Matt Painter has reached double digit wins in conference in 11 of his 16 years as the coach at PU. if CAM doesn't hit 10 next year they will have the same number of years not reaching that goal.

1070 the Fan?  Big Joe and whoever his partner is were talking about that this morning.

From JMV on the same channel yesterday, Rabjohns thinks TJD is gone next year.

Take that info and do what you will with it, but yeah...this sounds like we are starting to circle the toilet.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

1070 the Fan?  Big Joe and whoever his partner is were talking about that this morning.

From JMV on the same channel yesterday, Rabjohns thinks TJD is gone next year.

Take that info and do what you will with it, but yeah...this sounds like we are starting to circle the toilet.

Yes. I can't disagree with what RAbby said.  You have a better chance of sticking on an NBA roster after a year or 2 in the G league vs another year in college. The sooner you get to G league the higher the odds of making a roster are. 

Archived