It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

Let’s say we lose to MSU and Michigan but beat Purdue...it’s not like happening to pull a miracle out of West Lafayette keeps him safe does it? I know people say he should definitely be gone if we lose to Purdue again, but I don’t think happening to win that one game should keep him safe either. That one win doesn’t magically make him really good next year. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUrocker said:

Let’s say we lose to MSU and Michigan but beat Purdue...it’s not like happening to pull a miracle out of West Lafayette keeps him safe does it? I know people say he should definitely be gone if we lose to Purdue again, but I don’t think happening to win that one game should keep him safe either. That one win doesn’t magically make him really good next year. 

I don't think so unless we make a run in BTT and get in the tourney. 2 weeks ago I did hear from a few people that believe lose to PU again and the rest does not matter the buy out will be made. Its still all on Dolson

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Purdue had a second place finish Archie's first year, co champions his second and an Elite 8 appearance isn't "special?"

It sure is in West Lafayette...

I think we would be ecstatic if we had results like that. Purdue has had much better coaching, team and results than we have. It is not even close!

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Are you hearing something?  I ask because we have 100+ pages of fan angst and some media questioning, but unless I'm forgetting something, I have yet to hear any "leaks" or insider info that change is actually a possibility. 

No. But when 99% of the people are unhappy there is almost no way to survive. When we lose to Purdue the last game of the year he needs to be gone within 24 hours.

THIS SEAT IS RATHER WARM

These coaches need to start winning right now, but that may not even be enough…

• Mike Brey (Notre Dame)
    • As the Irish barrel towards a second losing season in the last three years, fans are getting restless with their longtime head coach. Brey has been at Notre Dame since 2000 and his overall accomplishments are undeniable. But now a few years removed from back-to-back Elite Eights, it is starting to feel like the time to make a change. Last year’s team went 20-12 (10-10 ACC) but likely would have missed a third-straight NCAA Tournament. Recent recruiting classes rank among the worst in the ACC and while the football program often distracts fans and students from basketball, Brey needs to get the Irish back into the postseason or the fans are really going to turn on him.
  • Tim Jankovich (SMU)
    • After going 39-5 in his first season and a half at the helm, things were looking great for Jankovich at SMU. But as Larry Brown’s players filtered out, the tide quickly turned to mediocrity. The Mustangs improved slightly last year (19-11 overall) but the stadium was empty for home games (pre-COVID!) as fans have lost interest in SMU basketball. There doesn’t seem to be much on the horizon either, as recruiting has been middle-of-the-road (at best). Jankovich is reportedly only under contract through this year and it would be tough to justify extending that deal right now.
  • Archie Miller (Indiana)
    • Considered by many to be the best available head coach for Power 5 conferences in the 2017 offseason, Archie has not impressed many in Hoosier Nation with his resume thus far. Indiana may have snuck into the NCAA Tournament last year, but that being the highlight of his tenure is not cutting it with fans and alums. It’s hard to imagine IU paying a huge buyout in the midst of this pandemic, but Archie’s team is regressing again and the Hoosiers have now lost to Purdue in five-straight games at Assembly Hall. That is not the type of thing fans will put up with, even if they limp into the Tourney again.
  • Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)
    • This one felt almost inevitable a year ago, as Pastner’s tenure at Tech has been a mess both on and off the court. The Yellow Jackets have finished below .500 in two of four seasons under Pastner and the coach is dealing with sanctions from NCAA violations committed by one of his former assistants. Rebuilding the program will be even harder thanks to scholarship reductions, a postseason ban and recruiting limitations handed down by the NCAA. While Pastner was not directly charged with anything, it seems like Georgia Tech could make a change with cause and avoid having to pay some or all of the hefty buyout. We see schools turn a blind eye to these things all of the time, but AD Todd Stansbury was not the one who hired Pastner and the lack of success doesn’t bode well.
  • Dave Paulsen (George Mason)
    • George Mason is no longer the perennial postseason squad and NCAA Cinderella it was just a decade ago. Ever since Jim Larrañaga left, the Patriots have become an also-ran struggling to regain relevance in a competitive A-10. Paulsen came on in 2015 and has done nothing to move the needle. The highlight was the 2017 squad that won 20 games and went to CBI, but this is a program that went to five NCAAs and three NITs from 1997-2011. His fifth-year team was his worst yet, finishing near the bottom of the A-10 at 5-13 (17-15 overall), bringing Paulsen to a 82-82 overall at GMU (39-51 in conference).
  • Steve Prohm (Iowa State)
    • What is going in Ames? Prohm has been to three NCAA Tournaments in nearly six years but those other three seasons (including this year) have been particularly bad. The Cyclones were 12-20 last year and this year’s team is 0-7 in Big 12 play (2-10 overall). Not sure if Prohm will get fired this year, as he is under contract through 2024-25 and his buyout appears to be 50% of the next four years’ salary, but these last two seasons are enough to move him higher on our list.
  • Mark Turgeon (Maryland)
    • The Terps have been good under Turgeon – but not great – and that is precisely the reason why he continues to land on our list. Consistent 20-win seasons and NCAA berths will fly at a lot of schools, but Maryland is a place where players, fans and alums rightfully expect more. Last year’s Terps finally got over the hump, limping to the Big Ten finish line to hang on to a share of the regular season title, but Anthony Cowan (graduated) and Jalen Smith (NBA) are gone and this year’s team is struggling in conference play. Turgeon certainly silenced some critics, but we will never know what last year’s team was capable of in the NCAA Tournament (not sure if that is a good or bad thing for the head coach).
  • Paul Weir (New Mexico)
    • Weir made a splash in 2017 when he left New Mexico State, where he had been for ten years (but only one as head coach), to become the head coach at rival New Mexico. He was a logical choice, with a decade of local recruiting experience and a NCAA Tournament berth in his only year as a D-I head coach, but that success has not translated to his tenure with the Lobos. Mediocre through three seasons, this year’s squad sits at the bottom of the MWC at just 1-11 (5-11 overall). He’s in year four of a six-year deal and firing him this Spring would reportedly cost the school between $700K and $1M.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Purdue had a second place finish Archie's first year, co champions his second and an Elite 8 appearance isn't "special?"

It sure is in West Lafayette...

Carson shot out of his mind in the tourney, but also watched them get trucked by a mediocre Notre Dame team in Indy. That team wasn't special in my book. Special teams are consistently in the top 10 all year, are expected to win, and have final 4 potential. Although the Oladipo/Zeller team got upset in the Sweet 16, I'll still take that type of team over the Carson team any day. To each their own.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Carson shot out of his mind in the tourney, but also watched them get trucked by a mediocre Notre Dame team in Indy. That team wasn't special in my book. Special teams are consistently in the top 10 all year, are expected to win, and have final 4 potential. Although the Oladipo/Zeller team got upset in the Sweet 16, I'll still take that type of team over the Carson team any day. To each their own.

Hey, believe me, I'm no Purdue fan by any stretch of the imagination, but they have been good to really good (save last year) during CAM's tenure...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Hey, believe me, I'm no Purdue fan by any stretch of the imagination, but they have been good to really good (save last year) during CAM's tenure...

We can both agree we need get back to a level of success above using Purdue as a barometer.  I've been with you on sticking with CAM, but my confidence was quickly decreasing.  The last two games have looked like a death spiral I'm not sure he can pull out of anymore. 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The parallels between Archie now and Mike Shula at Alabama in 2006 are striking.   Four years. Never beat his rival.  0.500 season his last year.  

The question is simple. Alabama doggedly pursued Nick Saban. What’s IU’s move?

2 sleeping giants, one got a wake up call and is dominating.  The other is still sound asleep as of today.

On 2/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, dbmhoosier said:

I don't get Steub.  I think he was one of the first few who started calling for Crean's scalp.  A coach who inherited a situation 100x worse than what Archie inherited yet took us too 3 Sweet 16s and has the preseason #1 team in year 5.

Only responding to this because you have questioned my integrity and I am not gonna leave this forum with that hanging out there.

You are correct. I was on the leading edge of the criticism of Crean. IMO, entirely different situation than what is going on now with Archie.

- Crean had no recruiting strategy other than to throw it against the wall and hope some stuck

- Crean took on kids who had no place in wearing the stripes 

- Crean started taking kids who had character issues... A kid from “the movement “ who never made it on campus. A kid, in Holloway who had drug issues. A kid who was drunk and hit a teammate with his truck. 

- Crean alienated the high school coaches in our state through his behavior and his focus on out of state kids while ignoring quality kids in his own backyard.

Archie has run a clean program, not had any character issues until this year with Hunter, which he handled in a way that the kid has come back fully focused and a better asset to the team. He has not gotten all the best talent from the state, but gotten his share. He has had to deal with the carryover academic issues left by Crean, tying his hands on roster construction. Most importantly, IMO, he has not had one season in his 4 years here that he has had a full roster devoid of injuries. Losing Brunk this year took away that third big to take away some of the pressure on Race and TJD. Phinesee’s concussion has clearly affected his play. Romeo... even Morgan and his shoulder. Armani this year...

Sure Cannon and Sea Turtle and probably most on here will view these as excuses... so be it. We all have agendas . The fact is that Archie has not had one season in his four where he’s had his roster at full strength for the entire season.

I refuse to participate in the tearing down of a coach who has done nothing but tried to restore this program to the rightful place it deserves. His record is what it i, but nowhere near for the reasons why Crean needed to go. 

Thanks for providing the opportunity for me to clarify this.

Appreciate y’all, and trying to be a little classier than @IowaHoosierFan, good luck to you all, and go Hoosiers 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Only responding to this because you have questioned my integrity and I am not gonna leave this forum with that hanging out there.

You are correct. I was on the leading edge of the criticism of Crean. IMO, entirely different situation than what is going on now with Archie.

- Crean had no recruiting strategy other than to throw it against the wall and hope some stuck

- Crean started taking kids who had character issues... A kid from “the movement “ who never made it on campus. A kid, in Holloway who had drug issues. A kid who was drunk and hit a teammate with his truck. 

- Crean alienated the high school coaches in our state through his behavior and his focus on out of state kids while ignoring quality kids in his own backyard.

Archie has run a clean program, not had any character issues until this year with Hunter, which he handled in a way that the kid has come back fully focused and a better asset to the team. He has not gotten all the best talent from the state, but gotten his share. He has had to deal with the carryover academic issues left by Crean, tying his hands on roster construction. Most importantly, IMO, he has not had one season in his 4 years here that he has had a full roster devoid of injuries. Losing Brunk this year took away that third big to take away some of the pressure on Race and TJD. Phinesee’s concussion has clearly affected his play. Romeo... even Morgan and his shoulder. Armani this year...

Sure Cannon and Sea Turtle and probably most on here will view these as excuses... so be it. We all have agendas . The fact is that Archie has not had one season in his four where he’s had his roster at full strength for the entire season.

I refuse to participate in the tearing down of a coach who has done nothing but tried to restore this program to the rightful place it deserves. His record is what it i, but nowhere near for the reasons why Crean needed to go. 

Appreciate y’all, and trying to be a little classier than @IowaHoosierFan, good luck to you all, and go Hoosiers 

All due respect, the Archie show was evident years ago.  Yeah, he recruited good kids and he tries I guess, but he was hired to win.  2 years ago Dakich had the issue pegged to a T.

Listen to that and tell me it is not the same issues 2 years later.  Archie may have some of the X's and O's down but he is deficient in some really important areas.

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The parallels between Archie now and Mike Shula at Alabama in 2006 are striking.   Four years. Never beat his rival.  0.500 season his last year.  

The question is simple. Alabama doggedly pursued Nick Saban. What’s IU’s move?

Dang I just broke my phone I hot the like button so hard, I had to get on my computer to make sure this went through.  We need to make 10 years a hundred million a meme.... to the moon.

Some of you will get that

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Your right they are excuses. Virtually never does a coach go into a season with a roster at 100%. It’s more common than not to lose a contributor for long stretches if not the whole seasons. 

Good coaches deal with it.  Good coaches don’t run with 7 scholarship players who aren’t freshmen.  Good coaches have at least 1 guy that can run their offense. Usually 2. 

Archived