It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, it's absolutely stunning that people are fighting this. 

The only thing I can think of is hope. If they can blame it on only coaching then there is hope the next guy will fix everything. 

When it's a complete organizational problem, that's harder to wrap your brain around in terms of fixing. 

If we saw quality coaching to go along with your points then yes blame the admin. But what we have seen from Archie and Crean has been mediocre coaching with a couple of good years. But we haven’t seen a top coach at IU in 20+ years. IU has also spent a crap ton of money to upgrade all the other sports facilities as well because they were neglected for decades. Now they can focus more on basketball if they want. 

I don’t think anyone is saying the admin doesn’t have a part to play but to say it’s the reason that guys like Crean and Archie are failing is not necessarily true. Their coaching wasn’t good enough. 

33 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

THIS ☝️☝️☝️

Our administration acts like we are  Northwestern without the prestige of the academics!!

Exactly.  They seem to think IU is a premier university.  Not anymore and the academic standing continues to fall. I have an opinion why but board rules.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Literally, nobody has. 

I think what Scott is trying to say is that other sports are having success, like the football team, so if the administration is part of the problem with the basketball team, why isn't that showing in other sports? 

Just now, Feathery said:

I don’t think anyone is saying the admin doesn’t have a part to play but to say it’s the reason that guys like Crean and Archie are failing is not necessarily true. Their coaching wasn’t good enough. 

Again, nobody has said that. Literally, nobody. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You guys sure making it sound like it

Because I’m saying the a administration isn’t all in but rather only want to do just enough, but that Archie should be forked because he’s failed.

So that sounds like I’m saying “it’s all the administrations fault.”

Archie is obviously not blameless in the current state of IU basketball. But if the administration doesn’t give Archie all the tools to be successful, he’s going to have a hard time getting this program to a level that the fans are clamoring for. He still has tools to get this team to be better than .500 in the big ten and he hasn’t made that happen, but if he’s competing against programs that are in sync with their administrations that’s a really tough disadvantage to overcome. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

If we saw quality coaching to go along with your points then yes blame the admin. But what we have seen from Archie and Crean has been mediocre coaching with a couple of good years. But we haven’t seen a top coach at IU in 20+ years. IU has also spent a crap ton of money to upgrade all the other sports facilities as well because they were neglected for decades. Now they can focus more on basketball if they want. 

Or on the flip side of that....the best we could hire was Crean and Archie because all of the better coaches knew to stay away. Just a spin....but sometimes a very real one. 

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I think what Scott is trying to say is that other sports are having success, like the football team, so if the administration is part of the problem with the basketball team, why isn't that showing in other sports? 

The football team has had like 2 good years in 100 years. Nobody has said you can't have good years at IU. 

Also, no sport at IU is comparable to basketball. Basketball is it's own beast at a school like IU and as @dbmhoosier and others have said, the admin hasn't supported it to be the face of the university. 

Comparing the sports isn't apples to apples. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You've never worked for a large company, have you? This is so unbelievably common. 

I mistyped I meant departments. Meaning departments under the same leadership.  My current facility has 4 departments.  3 are humming along just fine. One is struggling. 

Is the problem the person over the 4 departments or the person over the department that is struggling? 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Honestly idk I’d have to look at each program and compare what they have that the admin has control over ba every other program they’re competing against.

Also what is each program’s standard for excellence? Is it a program that historically has been a middle of the pack program and now is better? GREAT! Kudos! Do we have any blue blood programs in their sports that can’t get back? If so why? 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Or on the flip side of that....the best we could hire was Crean and Archie because all of the better coaches knew to stay away. Just a spin....but sometimes a very real one. 

I don't think I can agree with that angle. It's obviously a mess, but CAM was a very good hire in a lot of ways. I mean, we could draw some direct comparisons to him and RMK when he was hired, he checked a ton of boxes, and we've seen guys with similar resumes hired at the same time having big success in this conference. FCTC wasn't a bad hire, either. For all his faults, let's not forget that he returned the program from a bunch of warm bodies in year one to the national spotlight, he just couldn't do it consistently. 

1 minute ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Completely agree.  How can that be accomplished?  Can they get pushed out?

Right now our AD is in his first year so we have changed that.  Won't McRobbie be out at the end of the academic year so that will be changed.  We have Buckner on the BOT so I would assume he wants IU basketball to be prioritized so that is a start.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Because those sports didn't create the university and they never will get the same recognition. I'm in Paris 3 years ago. Get inside the cab and he asks where am I from. I said Indiana. He said....ahhhh Indy 500 and Bob Knight. 

I can't make this point enough. They never want that particular conversation to happen. They'd rather be known for some frickin molecule research. If that's even a career. 

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I don't think I can agree with that angle. It's obviously a mess, but CAM was a very good hire in a lot of ways. I mean, we could draw some direct comparisons to him and RMK when he was hired, he checked a ton of boxes, and we've seen guys with similar resumes hired at the same time having big success in this conference. FCTC wasn't a bad hire, either. For all his faults, let's not forget that he returned the program from a bunch of warm bodies in year one to the national spotlight, he just couldn't do it consistently. 

I remember Crean saying at a luncheon type deal....he didn't know how bad the situation was when he was hired actually was until he got inside the program. He wasn't talking about the players either. I think what Crean did was absolutely phenomenal. 

Archived