It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What does that have to do with anything you said you wish IU would have the expectations as UCLA by firing coaches who went to the final four or sweet 16's.  IU did just that and that is what matters.

We went to 3 FFs?  Crean went to 3 Sweet 16s in his first 4 years?  Wow.  I really need to quit drinking. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a concrete example of how our administration has hamstrung the basketball program: we do not have the same quality of facilities of some other top programs. They're good, but they're not great. 

That impacts recruiting, and that is something the admin controls not the coaches. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Here's a concrete example of how our administration has hamstrung the basketball program: we do not have the same quality of facilities of some other top programs. They're good, but they're not great. 

That impacts recruiting, and that is something the admin controls not the coaches. 

I’ve mentioned it several times. No one has addressed it besides saying the administration did build new facilties.

And again my point is, yes they did and when they had the chance to build the best in the country we settled on a nice new facility that puts us middle of the conference. WTH.

Thats a perfect example of what we are talking about. 👍🏻

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did they tell him he had to keep Crean's recruiting class and they he couldn't bring McKinley Wright?

I don't know that for a fact, but its been reported by reputable people. 

Are there handcuffs on some of the kids he's able to go after? I don't know that for a fact, but its been reported by reputable people. 

Again, that doesn't mean Archie has done a good job. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be fired. 

But how can you look at the last 25 years and not see that beyond the coaching there are organizational issues at play here?

The people who I've seen claim that Miller was forced to keep Crean's incoming class also said it was because of APR. That makes absolutely no sense since they weren't enrolled at the school so would've had no effect on the APR. 

Miller had to go re-recruit them. He was forced to do that? If he was forced to do that he could've easily have gone in to their homes and told them something like, "We want you at IU but you won't be seeing much PT." Then when they decided to go elsewhere he could tell Glass that he tried. So it seems very unlikely that he was forced to keep Crean's class by the administration and wanted them because he thought they were good players who could help and/or he couldn't find good enough replacements before the next season. Durham and Smith both started lots of games and played major minutes during their time under Miller so I believe he thought they were good enough that he wanted them at IU without the administration forcing that on him.

Which kids was he prevented from recruiting and for what reasons? We saw under Sampson and Crean players being recruited with questionable character or academics. That didn't seem to bother the administration then. Did the administration start micromanaging recruitment with Miller?

The administration has failed for 25 years, sure. That failure is mostly hiring bad coaches and then keeping them longer than they should've. Half-assed or nonexistent coaching searches were why they chose the coaches they did. They obviously don't care too much about the results but I have a hard time believing they're actively undermining the bad coaches they've hired.

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, let's face it, RMK in the early 90s held more power than anyone in the administration, and it wasn't really close. Whether you think that's healthy or not is another thing entirely.

I most certainly do not...our society nowadays will prevent that from ever happening again as well. 

Do any of you think that fans writing e-mails will make a difference to the AD in his decision process.  I hope they do and that fans will voice their displeasure to let him no this is not acceptable after 4 years.  I know that he will listen more to the big time donors and former players over us little guys. Indiana basketball shouldn't be fight to stay out of the first round of the BTT.  Last year we were the 11th seed in the BTT and could be there again this year.

The administration question will get a pretty good indicator within the next month. At this point keeping Miller shows they really don't care about the basketball team and are fine with this terrible product Miller is putting on the floor. Getting rid of Miller, even with all of the financial concerns that are even worse because of COVID, would show that they might actually care and want the basketball team to do well.

I have no confidence in Dolson. I still think Miller will be at IU next season even though he should be let go in less than 2 weeks from now when IU bows out of the BTT with an overall record under 0.500.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do any of you think that fans writing e-mails will make a difference to the AD in his decision process.  I hope they do and that fans will voice their displeasure to let him no this is not acceptable after 4 years.  I know that he will listen more to the big time donors and former players over us little guys. Indiana basketball shouldn't be fight to stay out of the first round of the BTT.  Last year we were the 11th seed in the BTT and could be there again this year.

I simply sent this in my email to Dolson:

21 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Only responding to this because you have questioned my integrity and I am not gonna leave this forum with that hanging out there.

You are correct. I was on the leading edge of the criticism of Crean. IMO, entirely different situation than what is going on now with Archie.

- Crean had no recruiting strategy other than to throw it against the wall and hope some stuck

- Crean took on kids who had no place in wearing the stripes 

- Crean started taking kids who had character issues... A kid from “the movement “ who never made it on campus. A kid, in Holloway who had drug issues. A kid who was drunk and hit a teammate with his truck. 

- Crean alienated the high school coaches in our state through his behavior and his focus on out of state kids while ignoring quality kids in his own backyard.

Archie has run a clean program, not had any character issues until this year with Hunter, which he handled in a way that the kid has come back fully focused and a better asset to the team. He has not gotten all the best talent from the state, but gotten his share. He has had to deal with the carryover academic issues left by Crean, tying his hands on roster construction. Most importantly, IMO, he has not had one season in his 4 years here that he has had a full roster devoid of injuries. Losing Brunk this year took away that third big to take away some of the pressure on Race and TJD. Phinesee’s concussion has clearly affected his play. Romeo... even Morgan and his shoulder. Armani this year...

Sure Cannon and Sea Turtle and probably most on here will view these as excuses... so be it. We all have agendas . The fact is that Archie has not had one season in his four where he’s had his roster at full strength for the entire season.

I refuse to participate in the tearing down of a coach who has done nothing but tried to restore this program to the rightful place it deserves. His record is what it i, but nowhere near for the reasons why Crean needed to go. 

Thanks for providing the opportunity for me to clarify this.

Appreciate y’all, and trying to be a little classier than @IowaHoosierFan, good luck to you all, and go Hoosiers 

lol

22 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

The administration question will get a pretty good indicator within the next month. At this point keeping Miller shows they really don't care about the basketball team and are fine with this terrible product Miller is putting on the floor. Getting rid of Miller, even with all of the financial concerns that are even worse because of COVID, would show that they might actually care and want the basketball team to do well.

I have no confidence in Dolson. I still think Miller will be at IU next season even though he should be let go in less than 2 weeks from now when IU bows out of the BTT with an overall record under 0.500.

Just asking why would you not trust Dolson because we haven't seen what tppe of people he has hired.  At this point he hasn't shown either way what kind of AD he will be.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How has that worked for them

Since 2000:

UCLA has ...

4 Conference Titles

6 Sweet 16s

1 Elite 8

2 Final Fours

1 National Title Game

IU has...

3 Conference Titles

4 Sweet 16s

1 National Title Game

Are you seriously comparing IU to UCLA expectations?

IU Administration has killed this program. It’s dead. It’s a middle of the pack B10 program at best. IU fans would kill for UCLAs last 20.

FYI, they would have made the tournament last year and finished second. And will probably will the conference this year and have a shot at another sweeT 16

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Since 2000:

UCLA has ...

4 Conference Titles

6 Sweet 16s

1 Elite 8

2 Final Fours

1 National Title Game

IU has...

3 Conference Titles

4 Sweet 16s

1 National Title Game

Are you seriously comparing IU to UCLA expectations?

IU Administration has killed this program. It’s dead. It’s a middle of the pack B10 program at best. IU fans would kill for UCLAs last 20.

Well i said how has it worked for them since firing Ben Howland

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well i said how has it worked for them since firing Ben Howland

6 years of Alford, 3 Sweet 16s and 64-44 conference record.

2 years of Cronin, 25-9 conference record and a conference title this year. Will make tourney this year.

Again, light years better than IU. 

UCLA is doing it right...

Archived