It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

The people who I've seen claim that Miller was forced to keep Crean's incoming class also said it was because of APR. That makes absolutely no sense since they weren't enrolled at the school so would've had no effect on the APR. 

Miller had to go re-recruit them. He was forced to do that? If he was forced to do that he could've easily have gone in to their homes and told them something like, "We want you at IU but you won't be seeing much PT." Then when they decided to go elsewhere he could tell Glass that he tried. So it seems very unlikely that he was forced to keep Crean's class by the administration and wanted them because he thought they were good players who could help and/or he couldn't find good enough replacements before the next season. Durham and Smith both started lots of games and played major minutes during their time under Miller so I believe he thought they were good enough that he wanted them at IU without the administration forcing that on him.

Which kids was he prevented from recruiting and for what reasons? We saw under Sampson and Crean players being recruited with questionable character or academics. That didn't seem to bother the administration then. Did the administration start micromanaging recruitment with Miller?

The administration has failed for 25 years, sure. That failure is mostly hiring bad coaches and then keeping them longer than they should've. Half-assed or nonexistent coaching searches were why they chose the coaches they did. They obviously don't care too much about the results but I have a hard time believing they're actively undermining the bad coaches they've hired.

Spot on. I'll add to this that McKinley Wright was a three star recruit, ranked into the 200s. I wasn't on this board much back then, but on my main site I know opinions were mixed in whether we even wanted him. Hindsight makes it look obvious, but at the time the thinking was we should pass and hold out for Phinisee and Darius Garland, who would be committing that fall.

The simplest explanation is that Archie's priorities upon arriving at Indiana lay elsewhere, and the administration had nothing to do with McKinley Wright ending up at Colorado. Mistakes in evaluation happen all the time, like offering Damezi Anderson a month before offering Aaron Henry too late. Blaming the McKinley miss on anything else feels like a reach, a way to pretend everything would be better if not for something that was outside of Archie's control.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just asking why would you not trust Dolson because we haven't seen what tppe of people he has hired.  At this point he hasn't shown either way what kind of AD he will be.

I don't trust him because I've seen what the university wants in its AD for the last 20 years. As an internal hire there is no reason to think he's any different from past ADs so I think it'll be more of the same. I'd be perfectly fine being proven wrong on this because it would mean that Dolson fires Miller in 2 weeks and then follows that up with a hire worth being excited about.

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I believe they only have a generic one for the whole board with their bios.  Maybe somebody knows another way.  I suppose you could Google them and find their individual work email ID’s.

https://trustees.iu.edu/the-trustees/current-trustees/index.html

Just sent this to the generic BOT email

Dear Board of Trustees members:

My name is Scott Roberts and a long time fan Of IU sports.  I have watched IU basketball for 50 years and want to let you know I am totally embarrassed of the product we are seeing on the court.  We have been mediocre at best for the last 25 years and it is time for that to change.  I really hope the rumors are not correct that the administration has de-emphasized sports especially men's basketball.  I have heard you guys don't want a strong personality coaching like when coach Knight was here.  I really hope you want to put an elite product on the court like we were use to for many years.

This fan base is fed up with the mediocrity and there is plenty of apathy in this fan base.  If you do not fire coach Miller after this year you will see more and more of these letters and will see less people in the seats of Assembly Hall next year.  I hope you realize that the basketball program is the Universities best advertisement to increase your enrollment.    I felt bad for my daughter who had spent her last 4 years in Bloomington and was never able to see a winning basketball team in her time there.

Please go out there and find the top coach out there and don't go cheap and just bring in another mid major coach like you did with coach Miller.  There are plenty of big name coaches you need to go after and see if they are interested in the job.  It is time for you guys to do your job better and bring a winning basketball team back to Indiana like it is supposed to be.

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

My name is Scott Roberts and a long time fan Of IU sports.  I have watched IU basketball for 50 years and want to let you know I am totally embarrassed of the product we are seeing on the court.  We have been mediocre at best for the last 25 years and it is time for that to change.  I really hope the rumors are not correct that the administration has de-emphasized sports especially men's basketball.  I have heard you guys don't want a strong personality coaching like when coach Knight was here.  I really hope you want to put an elite product on the court like we were use to for many years.

This fan base is fed up with the mediocrity and there is plenty of apathy in this fan base.  If you do not fire coach Miller after this year you will see more and more of these letters and will see less people in the seats of Assembly Hall next year.  I hope you realize that the basketball program is the Universities best advertisement to increase your enrollment.    I felt bad for my daughter who had spent her last 4 years in Bloomington and was never able to see a winning basketball team in her time there.

Please go out there and find the top coach out there and don't go cheap and just bring in another mid major coach like you did with coach Miller.  There are plenty of big name coaches you need to go after and see if they are interested in the job.  It is time for you guys to do your job better and bring a winning basketball team back to Indiana like it is supposed to be.

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts

Oh good Lord we know who IU Scott is... GAME ON 😈

I gotta white page your phone and call and ask if your fridge is running...

13 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for the link.  And it’s common sense too.

I could give anecdotal stories until I am blue in the face.  Two recent ones. One of my colleagues has a daughter (suburban Chicago) applying. She wants a big school, college town experience.  She was considering IU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and a couple of other big state schools.  

Just this week I asked if she had decided.  “It looks like Kentucky. She liked blah blah blah and they have a great basketball atmosphere.”

And it reminded me of another colleague’s daughters around 2012. She went to Butler coming out of Naperville.  Her dad admitted she had not even heard of it until their first final four. 

To be sure,  I’m not claiming anyone decides on a school because they like the hoops team.  But what I’m saying is that the hoops team could increase your interest.  Then, when you look under the hood, you like what you see academically, culturally, Greek life, whatever floats your boat.   In the end, you get kids to apply and come who might not have thought of IU.  

Coaching change won't matter if we don't have an administrative change at the university powers-that-be level.

There's a reason high impact transfers go to Louisville, Kansas, etc and we're stuck with guys like Evan Fitzner, and it's not because Archie is a bad recruiter.

We haven't had bad coaches for the last 20 years. We've just had an inept program for the last 2 decades. 

Sure, go out and hire Musselman away from Arkansas or Chris Beard from Texas Tech. But they'd hate it here.

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Spot on. I'll add to this that McKinley Wright was a three star recruit, ranked into the 200s. I wasn't on this board much back then, but on my main site I know opinions were mixed in whether we even wanted him. Hindsight makes it look obvious, but at the time the thinking was we should pass and hold out for Phinisee and Darius Garland, who would be committing that fall.

The simplest explanation is that Archie's priorities upon arriving at Indiana lay elsewhere, and the administration had nothing to do with McKinley Wright ending up at Colorado. Mistakes in evaluation happen all the time, like offering Damezi Anderson a month before offering Aaron Henry too late. Blaming the McKinley miss on anything else feels like a reach, a way to pretend everything would be better if not for something that was outside of Archie's control.

Simplest explanation.

1) Archie couldn't bring Wright

2) Henry was offered...Damezi said yes first. 

3) Your position and/or opinions is backed up by what you want to believe. Just like the many. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I could give anecdotal stories until I am blue in the face.  Two recent ones. One of my colleagues has a daughter (suburban Chicago) applying. She wants a big school, college town experience.  She was considering IU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and a couple of other big state schools.  

Just this week I asked if she had decided.  “It looks like Kentucky. She liked blah blah blah and they have a great basketball atmosphere.”

And it reminded me of another colleague’s daughters around 2012. She went to Butler coming out of Naperville.  Her dad admitted she had not even heard of it until their first final four. 

To be sure,  I’m not claiming anyone decides on a school because they like the hoops team.  But what I’m saying is that the hoops team could increase your interest.  Then, when you look under the hood, you like what you see academically, culturally, Greek life, whatever floats your boat.   In the end, you get kids to apply and come who might not have thought of IU.  

ABSOLUTELY that plays a role and often people don’t realize it. When big schools names are on TV and you see the logo and what not, it seems appealing. It plays a role psychologically even in the subconscious.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Thinking about writing a letter myself.  Here's the start of my first draft.  Let me know what you think.

Hello, my name is Brad Stevens and I would like to seek employment with your university..........

I'm on salary.  I will be in Bloomington on Monday.  Write it,  print it, I will come pick it up and personally deliver it.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I've said this multiple times the last few years. 

This administration doesnt understand the value of IU basketball.

Use the basketball program for name recognition.  IU academics used to be toward the top. Ever since this administration started valuing out of state tuition instead of education the value of an IU education keeps falling.  

And our basketball program continues to suffer because of it. 

This is why you cant have an Aussie as president of a school like IU. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts

You're the man Scott!

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm watching a little UCLA vs. Colorado and I know everyone is saying he's doing such a great job, I think IU is better. 

Honestly, I think IU beats them head-to-head, their record is good because the PAC-12 is hot garbage. 

We are actually ranked 2 spots above them on Kenpom.  Not that metrics are everything (see Colgate's NET ranking), but Kenpom is generally a decent gauge of how good teams are. Our conference SOS is ranked 3 and UCLA's is 72.  Big 10 was brutal this year again and the Pac 12 is probably the weakest power conference.  Not much can be done about that though and Indiana has to be a competitive regardless of how tough the conference may be in a given year.   It's going to be tough again next year and Archie or whoever is coaching has to finish better than 10th in the conference.

Archived